1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to control Height growth?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by InnerBliss, Dec 30, 2011.

1. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Hi

I have a weird question. It is not about controlling weight but about controlling height!

My 14 years old boy is 5'11 and is still growing very fast. I know, he loves to play basket ball very much and thus, loves to practice jumping as high as he could. Maybe, because of this exercise (apart from his genes) he is gaining height more rapidly. But on the other hand, having his such unusual height which is not appropriate to his age, makes me feel anxious. His elder cousins are now too much shorter than him. The main concern is not about his present height but about how tall he would grow till he reaches the age where the vertical growth stops!

I doubt if his height would affect his physical health at any later stage of his life!

I would appreciate my IL friends if you can share

1) The (medical) side effects of having too much height
    2) Any proven suggestions to stop the height (It is difficult to ask him playing and jumping though)

Looking forward to get some creative solutions.

Thanks in advance,
    Anuradha

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I was reading an article in the newspaper last time I was in India (3 yrs ago) about a study that was just completed and they were saying that Indians do not attain their genetic height potential (only place that is not true is Gurgoan). Here in USA we see a lot of Asian (not just Indian) immigrants and in previous decades Europeans also whose children attain heights much greater than the parents. My neighbors here from AP...she is maybe 5'2" and he 5'7" and their sons are 6'. Please do not be alarmed about your son. In addition, he may stop growing at any time...this is a very individualistic area. I had a classmate (white) who was 6'4" in seventh grade and stopped growing then. I have also seen a neighbor who graduated high school at 5'11" and was 6'5" by the time he hit 23. You just don't know.

Things to have monitored at the doctors: if he is growing very fast 5" or more a year he might have fragile long bones for a while so that sports will be out until the bones get stronger. The doctor will also monitor if he has any sign of giantism which is a pituatary problem but this is quite rare.

1 person likes this.
  3. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Dear tashidelek2002,

Thank you very much for sharing your awareness on height. It would certainly help me. I am feeling good after knowing about the growth pattern and also that I may contact the doctor to find out if there is any sign of giantism. But I feel, it should not be in my son's case. Thanks once again.

You have a good day!
    Anuradha

4. priyagem

priyagem Bronze IL'ite

It is always better to consult a doctor. Actually people's bone growth is active till the age of 22. At the age of 14, he is 5"11 and you can't stop your son from doing his activities which might increase your worries. So plz go for consultation to see whether there are any possibilities to do the right thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

anuradha,

my son is also the same age..almost there.. he is 180 cms. i also worry about his height in the sense, his classmates are around a feet shorter, the school desk and chair is not comfortable to the extent it is hurting his back..
    also he feels he is too tall and tries to stoop..we are more worried about his stoop rather than the height..his dad, granddad are 6ft..and he was pumped with steroids as a baby..so chances are there for a few more inches.

i only want to give him pointers at managing and using his height to his advantage. he plays cricket.
    And i find lot of youngsters are real tall for their age in this generation..my daughter who is 16 is 175cms. and has classmates who are equally tall.

But if you are worried rule out with the doctors over their.

1 person likes this.
  6. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Thank you Priyagem. I would certainly consult the doctor about this. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Thank you Shanvi for the suggestion and also sharing your experience. It would help.

8. MadhuMishti

MadhuMishti New IL'ite

Same problem here. We are from India, and now my 15 year old son is 186 centimeters tall. We went to doctor a year back, and were made to take his bone age (from leg) test. His bone age matched his chronological age, so doctor told he will grow to maximum 185 centimeters, after calculating my height (166.5 centimeters) and my husband's height (179 centimeters). However, now he has outgrown that, and I am worried how tall can he grow! I am agonized and do not know what to do! :help

9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I am mystified. In every culture/society I've had knowledge of, tallness (especially in men) is a highly desirable trait. What is the downside of this? I cannot imagine one single disadvantage. Am I missing something?

1 person likes this.
  10. momto2kids

momto2kids New IL'ite

Hello, I know this is a very old post, but I have the exact opposite problem. I am 5.7, DH is 5.8.
    But DS is 13 years and is still 4.10, he was born was born 21 inches at 9lbs. He is not active in sports and is very picky eater. Growing up I was the tallest in the class and among cousins etc. Now I am worrying about my son.
    Do you have any suggestions on any supplements?
    DId u give any specific food / shakes (US available)
    What was your boys daily food intake like?

Please share so that others can benefit.