1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Of You Go For Marathons Or Half Marathons?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by JGVR, Feb 15, 2017.

1. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

I live in NewJersey and go to gym regularly.Of late iam interested in doing a marathon or half marathon just to see how it goes and whether i will be able to handle it.Please suggest me some sites where i can check schedules of marathons happening around me

anika987 likes this.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi JGVR,
    runningintheusa.com and active.com are two places that list most of the races around my locale. Can you check these to find your town and mark your calendar?

I have run a few half marathons and @Srama is a marathoner.

What is your workout schedule like?
    If you are doing other things and running to just add to the variety or stay fit, 10-15k is the perfect distance to train for. I like 10-15k races because I can still do other things and be prepared for the distance. For me, it's hard to strike a balance while training for a half even though most running plans ask you to cross train.

Training plans are available online from various resources. I like Hal Higdon's website online. He's an amazing coach and I only use his plans for training. Running groups are around - you should look online or at local running shoe stores to find a group if you are motivated to train in a group.

Good luck and happy running!

Srama, anika987, SunPa and 1 other person like this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I wish! Most I have done is 5k. My husband runs marathon and half marathons. I am not sure but usually we get updates on Facebook or our local newspaper.

4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Thank you ladies.will definitely check all the resources

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@JGVR,

I could not give a better response than @Laks09. I try to do a marathon/half marathon a year. The one thing you most definitely need is a time commitment and a group to work with. I have tried running alone - not my cup of tea.

Best way to approach it is to join a group and if you are generally fit, half marathon may not be a bad start. Check out running groups in your area and join them. As part of cross training I do spinning and some yoga.

Do let us know if you get started on a schedule. Would love to hear.

Laks09 likes this.