1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of old stuff - need ideas

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Imblessed, Sep 23, 2013.

Getting rid of old stuff

Poll closed Oct 14, 2013.
  1. Sell on Carigslist

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Give it away to old age home/ orphange

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Throw it away

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

We have many things that me and my husband do not use it anymore. Like we have a office chair, which my husband had brought while he was studying here in US. It is not broken at all, but it has become old. Like this there are things like white board, clocks, a small coffee table, shoes, which I think it is better to give it away to someone who is in need. We don't have any maids here in US so no option to give it away to them.

Can you ladies give me some ideas, like can I give it away to old age home ? Do they accept such things? Does it look good? I have no idea as to what will be fit in culture or not. What do you all ladies to do here in US to get rid of such things?
    Thanks !!

2. lucky22

lucky22 Gold IL'ite

Do u have any university/Indian student association nearby? If yes, please send an email to them and u will be surprised at the replies u will get. Believe me many students do need some basic stuff but still do not buy them due to money constraints. I have been through that situation in the past and I would be grateful if someone gave away stuff like these. You can also use craigslist to get rid of the stuff. Just say curbside alert and put all the stuff by ur curb, they will be picked up by someone in need, there are so many people out there who need these things and keep looking for them on streets. Last but not least, you can leave them by Goodwill donation center.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

You can call your local Amvets, Vietnamvets and similar groups and they will be happy to pick up your stuff.

4. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

This is a good idea... I never thought of student associations.. I will surely enquire about it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

One more new idea.. I had never heard of these organizations earlier. I will enquire about this too.

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Check for Freecycle groups (Yahoo groups) in your area. They are wonderful in recycling your unwanted stuff without trashing them. You can also donate items to Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

7. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

I have heard they organise garage sales in U S. Do you have any provision?

8. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

Thank you very much ladies... this is helping me.. I have many things that I wish to give away, and there will be some satisfaction of helping someone in need.

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

In my area folks often just put items on the roadside with a free sign on them...this is the easiest method and usually the quickest.