Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

God: In the next hour a miracle will occur.
    Ira: A new planet will be discovered?
    God: No, think down to Earth.
    Ira: A new animal species will be discovered?
    God: Stupid! Think more on humans.
    Ira: Anushka and Virat will travel to Pakistan?
    God: Think something more natural.
    Ira: It will snow tonight.
    God: Ok, I misspelled, think something 'unnatural'.
    Ira: Will I start dieting?
    God: Think something sweet.
    Ira: Will I gobble the ras malai in the fridge in one shot.
    God: Think beyond food.
    Ira: Are you gifting me Instant Pot?
    God: Think beyond metal, think 'human', 'unnatural, 'though sweet'.
    Ira: Are you sending me a candy snowman?
    God: Blockhead! I give up on you. Go and open your IL.
    Ira: My trophy points stuck at 283 for yonks will be upgraded to 500?
    God: Fool! Log in to IL.
    Ira: Ok. (she trembles on seeing that unnatural sweet gesture from a fellow human). God, am I supposed to forward this to ten people so that a miracle will happen at their end also?
    God: You are unbelievable!

Thank you, Rihana.

Rihana, Nonya and Laks09 like this.
  2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Rihana.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

You know, I have a lot of respect for you and @Iravati as good friends. To me, @Iravati's style of writing is effective and to the point and it could appear different for another member. I can't question her thinking. Your above comment gives an impression that Gyan about how to conduct a discussion is reserved only to a select elite. What is wrong if a new member shares her views about how a discussion has to be conducted as long as it is a healthy discussion without crossing the barriers of professional response?

I have heard from many of my best friends in IL, the best way to respond to an inappropriate content is to report. I am not sure how nominating a post is an appropriate response to someone's alleged inappropriate comment. I am of the opinion that nomination is a particular member's appreciation of another member's content.

Personally, I have been very appreciative of the job performed by the moderators in IL as they are mostly performing their role with great responsibility and integrity. They are humans as well just like the scientists in NASA and can make mistakes. The members will have to be polite in pointing those out and not criticize their role, in general. Sarcasm serves no purpose whether it comes from the members or from the moderators. The mutual respect among the members is an important aspect in a forum like this. Everyone is equal whether they are members or moderators or been there in IL for a while or very new.

Viswa

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, my reason for nominating FP is in the nomination post. My reason for post in the Women Sanctum thread is in that thread. Like I said, I made an exception when I explained my post because the comment on it came from you. More than this, I am sorry, I am not able to engage on the topic. If you or anyone has any concerns or objections, please report to appropriate people. Thank you.

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra, with holiday season and all, I am juggling between multiple things. I don't want you to take it as I am ignoring or circumventing your post so here I am. But let me be frank here. It is just not worth pursuing this hatchet. We are better off discussing something more fulfilling and cheerful as you are going to teach me lil bit of Hindu Philosophy as I have only started a course on Vedic philosophy. I might buzz you on doubts after the holiday season. Bad timing! Had it been another week, I would have reciprocated with the same fervour and cordiality to indulge in this topic that you have mustered.

6. Viswamitra

@Iravati,

Agreed. Have a wonderful holiday season.

@Rihana,

I have no concerns or objections and hence nothing to report. I can't speak for others.

Viswa

Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

Looking for a Sanskrit term for "dating" (two people meeting, spending time together, getting to know each other, with a possibility of getting more serious).

In one search, I came across the word 'abhirasa' for it. It was in a page that looked like a Sanskrit dictionary (multiple columns, typical dictionary format, fonts) in English script. Now, I can't find that page. Forgot to bookmark.

Will settle for close equivalents too, like a term for "lovers meet", "clandestine meet". Though, finding a link with the meaning of abhirasa would be like finding out that Santa exists.

8. Viswamitra

Now that @kkrish and @satchitananda are talking about Alzheimer's, here are my thoughts about how to keep our brain going using IL:

1) Solve puzzles in Neuron thread opened by @Gauri03
    2) Draw doodles in the doodle's thread opened by @kaniths
    3) Read creative poems
    4) Understand Raghas of the videos in Carnatic music thread opened by @justanothergirl
    5) Experiment cooking in Instant Pot from the recipes shared in thread opened by @kkrish
    6) Prepare a chart of properties of various planets opened by @kkrish
    7) Read responses from @Iravati
    8) Read all the links attached by @sokanasanah
    9) Work on finding out the answers to all questions raised by @Rihana including the Sanskrit word for "Dating"
    10) Last but not the least, derive solutions for all problems shared in Relationship Forum.

Viswa

sokanasanah, kkrish and satchitananda like this.
  9. Rihana

For keeping my brain going, and to keep the going good, I would like to pay attention to the brain's behavior by reading up more on cognitive biases. There was once a thread on it: Cognitive Biases with a nice quote:

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence.
    —Bertrand Russell
    Another quote I recently came across:
    What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence, a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it.
    —Herbert Simon​

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

That is my genuine worry on top of the cultivated paranoia. I am better these days, as I was far worse in the past.

Besides, toilets in pubic places (like malls, airports) in India have promisingly improved. The new crop of international airports in metropolitan cities are a sight to behold. The restrooms at the Mumbai airport are clean and smell fresh with the bluish harpic-styled disinfectant flushed lavishly with automatic flush to boot (very common now). I was amazed by the Mumbai one in particular. Nice panelling, wash basin, and abundant toilet stalls.

That said, sanitation still has to be prioritised. If you look at the roll out, government has invested in sanitation but the upkeep is challenging for no fault of theirs. If everyone were using the pubic toilet like their private chambers, they would be more conscious of defiling it. You would think that Western bowls are hassle-free and easy on the knees and intuitive but people need to be trained out of their careless usage. I am not talking about India, but in general, though the lack of regard for next traveller in queue is more prevalent In India. Sometimes I wish the authorities bluff the installation of hidden cameras to persecute the obnoxious users of public toilets and fine them.

Viswamitra likes this.