1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Does Sleeping In Daytime Cause Weight Gain?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

i always felt that weight loss or gain depends on the amount of physical activity done and calories burnt, and calories consumed from food..also individual metabolism..
    But heard some people telling that sleeping during daytime causes weight gain.
    Want to know how far it's true?
    Does taking about 30-45 minutes nap , maximum one hour nap in the afternoon ( not immediately after lunch but after one hour gap for digestion) really cause weight gain?
    If one is sleep deprived at night and gets about 5-6 hours only sleep at night, won't they actually benefit from taking a nap in the daytime and catching up with sleep?sleep is essential for weight gain right, because sleep deprivation also causes weight gain.
    Kindly clarify this doubt.

2. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

I believe this is true if you sleep immediately after lunch.Also if you are sleep deprived it is good to compensate the loss by sleeping during the day.The metabolism is going to be affected even with sleep deprivation.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I once read that a power nap in fact can be quite beneficial. N some companies n countries encourage this practice n even has beds in their office.

But this nap has to be for like 20-30 mins only I guess. N most definitely not right after meals.

I also know a friend who wakes up at 4 am everyday to drop her kid for some pro class, n she compensates that by sleeping every day in the afternoon for 2-3 hours. N she's really slim. But shes fitness conscious as well.

N another lady who sleeps every afternoon around 3-5pm, n she's obese. N she once said her doctor asked to reduce her afternoon sleep.

So I guess you can actually take nice afternoon naps as long as it's balanced.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

If you do not get enough sleep at night definitely take a nap in the afternoon. Have your lunch at noon and give an hour or two before you take the nap.
    But definitely catch up on your sleep during the day.

sindmani and Needtobestrong like this.
  5. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

8hrs sleep is advised for women.

If you are not getting enough sleep, no harm in compensating noon.

But ensure you have exercise/walking and proper diet to maintain weight.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Needtobestrong and sindmani like this.
  6. nirmalakrishnan

nirmalakrishnan New IL'ite

Body Weight control is all about calorie balance but also your lifestyle and genetics play critical roles. And also overeating and not doing any work. Just eating and sitting will definitely cause weight gain. Multiple studies have concluded that sleeping in itself cannot cause weight gain. There are many more factors for weight. For best weight loss treatment click here.

Needtobestrong likes this.