1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Clean House - A way of life

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by ptamil2007, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

ptamil,

One suggestion I would like to make is - since this thread is motivating each other for cleaning and decluttering, with useful tips from you and others on various topics, it would be great if this thread is made sticky in the Cleaning and Organizing forum...

2. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Sahmaara,

Great reply. I really liked your ideas. Thank you

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

tamil,

aiyo don't remind me about stones. i used to carry a separate bag to carry them home. then finally in winter season i hid them in the balcony and just last week threw them away:( hopefully this year my son's fetish for stones will be long gone....

Chottumeetu,

this is one and only way i remove those oily deposits.. it's a bit time consuming but gives neat results without damaging the non-stick coating. you can also do it when you are making dosa/rotis.

heat the tawa. wipe some oil with tissue on the 'ugly' spots. if it's slight deposit you can wipe it off using a tissue or cloth itself. if not 'scrub' them off using the wooden spatula. everytime after i make dosai/adai (these two leave the most deposits because i rarely use oil on rotis) i do this as a ritual. else, as it happened early this year, it gets accumulated and requires lots of elbow work:( do try a little at a time and let me know:)

PS: tamil can we put non-stick tawa/pan in dishwasher? i put a prestige tawa in dishwasher and it isn't non-stick anymore:(

4. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

thanks traveller for the inputs.It is extremely helpful:bowdown

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

hehe, it looks like all kids go through these phases.
    For the non-stick pans generally not safe, but if it is too hard to come off, I do it by putting in the top rack of dishwasher.

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

hridaya: thank you for the feedback
    My kitchen drawers were like that before. I too like to hoard things. But not any more.

I kept half of those collections and half of them gave away.
    You can save some for later by keeping in a small cover and putting it in the area reserved for extra items or things not used frequently

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

i agree with Pavithra. when you throw/give away things that you've not at all used... little little things like ribbons and those tiny stuff... it feels so nice and light. but it's hard to part with those things as well...

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Tomorrow is holiday for me, generally I stay away from the computer on holidays :) , except sometimes I sneak in to IL at night.

So today I an thinking of the following weekend clearance:

1. Check if you have clothes lying on the sofa , chair, bed in the extra bedroom.

Take 20 minutes - fold them , hang them, iron them - whatever is needed to be done. Do them :)

To make such tasks more insteresting, have a playlist with three or more of your favorite songs which are fast beat - Goal is to finish the task before the playlist is over

2. If the clothes are not a problem, then lets come back to visiting the paper and documents pile. If anything like me, documentation is the hatred chore for me. Amazingly few years before I was not like that :spin

Anyways, go through the paper work - file stuff which is needed, recycle those not needed anymore

9. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

My task for this week/weekend would be sorting the mails and keep them in the respective file.Need to do some vessels sorting too!Last week I sorted the grocery and checked what is available,what needs to buy,expiry etc.

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Good plan chotumeetu
    That reminds me I have to make the shopping list for this weekend