1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Can We Use Cast Iron Pans For General Cooking? Any Alternatives For Non Stick Pans?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by gknew, Oct 8, 2017.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am currently using non stick pans for my cooking. All it's coating is gone and i am looking for another alternative... I use lodge cast iron skillet for stir fry..
    I would like to know if we can use cast iron pans for normal day to day cooking.. (For curries, deep fry.)
    I saw 2 types of cast iron pans..cast iron and enamel dutch ovens (those red ones).
    Is there any difference between these 2 pans?which one is best? Any other good brands than Lodge?

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:since it appears we are on different geographies, am unable to come out with names of suitable brand comparable to Lodge. Yet I would like you to ponder as to where the disappeared coating eventually landed - in the guts of family members? Cast iron used by our grand mothers and great grand mothers without any side effect and believed minute quantities of iron would get added to the recipe and remain innocuous to digestive system. thanks. regards. God Bless us all.

Sunshine04, gknew and Sunburst like this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

"It's got a lotta iyennu
    It's good fo' yo' daa'ter
    ", sang the Jamaican crooner Harry Belafonte. While he was singing about coconut water, it is true for the cast iron cooking vessels as well. This link gives information on how much iron you can get from cast iron cooking pot/skillet. Using Cast Iron Cookware Helps Blood (Anemia) and Iron Deficiency

The problem with lodge is that they are too damn heavy, and the handles get hot. And occasionally we tend to forget to put on kitchen mitts and burn our fingers on the handle. I would discourage using the Lodge type of heavy things, unless you are happy with lifting that thing without causing any trouble for your wrist, or worse yet, your toes, or the kitchen floor.

You can get a light weight wok. That would give you the dietary iron, as well as be light weight. It would also come with a wooden handle that would not get hot. Some larger woks come with an additional handle as well.

As for making things non-stick, you can try the Ceramic Coated skillets, pots etc..There are several brand names -- and all them claim that you can fry an egg on them with hardly any oil, and the egg will simply come off like it was on teflon. An old trick for making cast iron somewhat non-stick is to have it "well seasoned", and rub a flat surface on a cut onion on the surface before starting to cook something on it.

Wok would be my number one suggestion.

gknew and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have stopped using most non stick cookware. I use a variety of Lodge pans in various sizes and love them. You do need to wash and oil the surface to keep them from rusting. I have a bad shoulder and so far have no issues with the weight of the pans. I use them for stir fries, curries, deep fry etc.
    I also use stainless steel pots from Kirkland and the Kerala Mud pots(almost time to replace).

Naari, gknew and ruch9 like this.
  5. pinky380

pinky380 New IL'ite

What r Lodge pans

6. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Lodge is leading cast iron utensils brand in the USA.

gknew likes this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I have switched to cast iron, mostly. Dishes like potato fry, lady finger fry taste better when cooked in cast iron.
    I avoid cast iron for dishes with tamarind, and tomatoes . I use WMF stainless steel wok for those, quite easy to wash.

Enamled Cast iron is also very useful - cook n serve in it. I have a pair of dutch ovens, love making bisibela bath/pongal and other mixed rice in those. I want two more but no money to buy:cryingcat:

Naari and gknew like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:thanks sister. I got enlightened in those few lines about iron dietary. you had given robust advise to querist.

9. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

No nonstick pots and pans in my house . I use light weight iron tava which is easy to lift and move across for rotis. I have a the lodge cast iron pan for dosas. It's worth the quality and you can still make crispy dosas with very less oil. It's recommended to keep Dosa and chapathi pans separate .If you keep your iron pans seasoned well, they will last for generations .

I also have iron Kadai and stainless steel utensils which is used for cooking everything else .

Naari and gknew like this.
  10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Cast iron cooking pans made by Joseph Lodge.