1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

New Mommies Post Pregnancy Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by sweety127, Aug 27, 2016.

1. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am a FTM of a 8 weeks baby..had a normal delivery..I have gained around 10 kgs with a big flabby tummy and badly want to shed a few kilos...my baby is EBF and so my mom scolds me if I try to eat less...I tried brisk walking for a week but was unable to continue due to extreme tiredness and caught cold so cannot exercise for time being..i have installed myfitnesspal and am having a watch on my calorie intake..is it possible to lose weight through my good eating habits alone??

My current weight : 68.3 kg
    My target weight: 65 kg
    Duration: 2 months

Some things am planning to incorporate
    1. No to junk food ( occasional sweets and cake intake on my cheat days)
    2. Drink 3 litres ajjwain water
    3. Avoid oily food
    4. Eat plenty of green veggies with little quantity of rice.
    5. Eat dinner before 8.30 pm. Only chapathi or rice upma for dinner
    6. No ghee
    Does breast feeding reduce weight?
    Ladies pour in your ideas..
    Also ppl like me who wants to reduce weight without exercise, you are welcome to join me in this journey..

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@sweety127-
    Congrats on being a proud mommy. My advice --
    1. is don't try to cut down on food if you are breastfeeding or pumping.
    2.Use a girdle. The extra skin that you gained during pregnancy will get a bit firm. I used girdle for 3 months sometimes slept in it.
    3.Start to work out only after 2 and half months.
    4. Don't have a timeframe to loose weight. Don't push your body- It looks like you can easily shed weight.
    After giving birth I was 114lbs within 6 months I came down to 92lbs.

sweety127, mamadiety and Laks09 like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If your baby is EBF, I would suggest holding off on the weight loss until baby is 6 months old. Fluctuations in calorie intake, rapid weight loss, too much exercise, can upset the hormonal balance required for lactation. Your BM supply might suffer. If you are eating normally and breastfeeding, you will lose most of the weight within the first year without much effort. If you don't lose enough weight, you can start counting calories once baby starts solids. Don't hold me to it, but I'd read somewhere that full time breastfeeding can burn as many as 900 calories a day. I lost 10 lbs breastfeeding with no exercise and a very rich diet. Don't stop eating ghee! It's good for you.

sweety127 and Laks09 like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes. Exclusive breastfeeding helps with weight loss, especially if you are eating a well balanced diet.
    Don't reduce calories while nursing, my supply tanked when I tried to do that.
    Eat the right quantity, don't over eat and definitely don't skip the ghee.
    Definitely skip junk food. I used to eat only healthy food while nursing because whatever I put in my body went to the baby. That doesn't mean I didn't eat rich food. I had fun with the post baby yummy food :)
    You can add exercise into your routine after staring solids for the baby. That way a change in supply won't impact the baby.

sweety127, JGVR and blindpup10 like this.
  5. Babbygirl

Babbygirl New IL'ite

Hiya Hun I'm super passionate about helping people become happy and healthy and I truly beleive I could help you! Drop me an email I'm happy to be here for you even if it's just for a chat xxx

6. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Dear @blindpup10 @Gauri03 and @Laks09
    Thank you so much for your responses..had been really busy with my baby...fine for now am not reducing my calorie intake..I eat healthy food loaded with greens and ebf my baby but still I see no change in my weight. I am ok with weight but that big flabby tummy depresses me a lot..would that too go?? Have to join office in two months..hence the worry..any suggestions for that please

7. blindpup10

@sweety127-
    Try using a girdle. This will help extra skin to tighten a bit.
    No matter what this extra skin be there to all woman who have given birth. Usage of girdle during the first 2-3 months will be very beneficial in stomach skin tightening.

8. RUTVARAM

RUTVARAM Junior IL'ite

I finished 3 months in postpartum.shall I use belt. Does it work for me

9. blindpup10

You should be using the belt or girdle or in my traditional postpartum care mothers tie saree very tightly from the time you deliver. Right from 1st month. It's never too late. Start to wear a belt it will help.

Belt can be worn from 1st month of delivery. Start to exercise after 3 months.

10. RUTVARAM

RUTVARAM Junior IL'ite

When I should not wear belt. Like eating . Sleeping

blindpup10 likes this.