Zanskar Frozen River Trek

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by Prema88, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Prema88

Prema88 Senior IL'ite

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Zanskar is one of the oldest inhabited regions of the world with wild and solitary valleys at over 13,000 ft (4000 meters) in the Himalayas. In winter, Zanskar is isolated, and only in January and February is there a way to the rest of the world: the canyon of the Zanskar River. We trek on the so called Chadar or ice covering the river from the village of Chiling to Karsha and Padum in Zanskar, and then return to Chiling.....

Did you trek in these places?
    [/FONT]

2. jasmine1763

jasmine1763 Senior IL'ite

Walking on Frozen river of Zanskar is an ultimate experience for adventure lover. The traditional name of the trek is "Chadar trek" the frozen sheet, which was only way in and out for Zanskaris in winter when all other ways are closed due to heavy snow fall at high passes. Therefore, it had been trade route for centuries for Zanskari People. Now the route is also famous as winter trekking among adventure lovers.

It first seem to me crazy because of the cold, but later on I discovered that there is no adventure without being crazy. And that becomes a pleasant memory.

What do you think about this?

3. ritzz

ritzz New IL'ite

Hi prema / jasmine , good to finally find some lady interested in trekking. I am planning to go to to valley of flowers end august 2009. I have found an appropriate tour . Do reply if u are interested and even otherwise for common interests

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  4. jasmine1763

jasmine1763 Senior IL'ite

Hello Ritzz! Glad to find you too.. valley of flowers is a fairy land.

Snowy mountains and enchanting frozen valleys take the breadth away. This valley is the home of flowers.

Every year, the valley is splashed with color as it blooms with hundreds of kinds of flowers, taking on various shades of colors as months progressed.

I hope you have a nice time there. Please do let us know about your experiences..