1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on this pls..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Vij99, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Vij99

Vij99 Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    I was just wondering how the girl's parents address their son-in-law. By name and do they the respect thing which differs my region i.e 'ji' (hindi),'anga' (tamil),'ru' (telugu)? My DH is ok with calling by name but likes it if the respect word is added in sentences as opposed to what they call their sons. I think its not a big deal to use those respect suffixes, would he complain if his parents dint use it and no one uses that for the DILs. I would become conscious if my parents don't call him the way he wants and get stressed out, is he going to say something back etc. But son in laws are way younger than our parents, why so much respect is expected, is that justified? Why not the DILs get the same respect then? Your thoughts for discussion...

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Usually SnILs are called as -ji, or -nga -anga or -ru
    Leave it as it flows, dont confuse these things too much.

3. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

The feminist in me HATES it that my DH gets so much respect from my parents while i get treated like **** by his parents.

1 person likes this.
  4. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

In my community we put ji after the names of snil....of course this respect is not needed....Snil is younger so no respect suffix needed but this is the custom going on...so people are used to of this...

5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

It depends on each person, their upbringing etc.

My parents do not call any of their SNIL with any respectful suffix. But I know SNIL who expect it, but do not get it... SNIL who do not expect it but get it... PILs who give it, not matter what and PILs who couldn't care less.

6. docathome

docathome Gold IL'ite

My parents call both the snil's by name.. I don't think My husband expects it but I'm quite sure his mother does.. Either ways, since she doesn't give me any great respect my parents don't owe it to him either,. Thankfully it's not a big deal for both the snil's..

7. Archana11

Archana11 Silver IL'ite

My Parents call my husband by name. we both never focused on are they adding "Ru" (telugu) after his name. Its not that they dont respect him. As he is very young to them they will call him with name and off course they show respect.

8. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

None of this "ji" or "gaaru" or "anga" business in our family! My parents use their SnIL's names and call them in first person, just like they call their own kids. Of course, no casual "da", or "ra" either.

In tricky situations, my dad switches to English, and says "you" simply!