1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your Highschooler In A Protest March?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Would you allow your highschooler to take part in a planned protest march outside the school premises? Highscooler being a child in grades 9-12, under 18 years.

Like, say the marches students carried out to protest Trump's election victory in November 2016. Or, say a march to protest some proposed city or state laws. Would you allow your teenager to participate in such a march with classmates or friends?

Question is for parents in India and outside India.

2. Rihana

I wouldn't allow my teenager. Protest within school is fine. Outside school - on city streets or in front of govt. office - no.

If I am also participating in the protest, then maybe yes.

anika987 likes this.
  3. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

4. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

When I was in DU ( Delhi university ) I sat for many dharnas... I was full leftist and in favor of everything associated with it . Blindly . It was so cool as well .I have sat at Jantar Mantar, at police station at IP university and taken part in protests at Ram Lila maidan and candle march peaceful protests at India Gate .

My parents at small city of Jharkhand has no idea about it .
    Can't think of any logical response, as much I don't want my kid to do it and concentrate only on studies / academics ... I have done it myself .
    Iam have finally grown up I guess , virtue gained hypocrisy !

May be if they get good grades and focused on career I will and you should too . I have always been a shinning student . A student priorities and focus should be well defined and with that if they can manage it it will a contribute to society as well . Rationally thinking .

blindpup10, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

Ashima, nice post.. lamba post.. long post. : )
    I also took part in some dharnas and protests in college. Though it was more because they asked girls to come to show the protest is serious and "even girls" are taking part. Plus, one of our popular prof's was into these things, and he was a very inspiring soul.

The question was specific about age - under 18. I wouldn't let my child participate till he/she is an adult - 18. Once in college, they take their own decisions, and form their opinions, ideas, and are social citizens.

My more immediate reason was I didn't want any arrest on her record in high school - even one that causes no problem in college admissions or internships or jobs etc. When the Trump victory protests were happening in Nov, I told her, do whatever you want in class, in school, but no marching on the roads if any enthu classmates start doing that. No picketing etc.

KashmirFlower, ashima10 and suasin like this.
  6. Rihana

Question is for anyone with an opinion on the question.

7. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Exactly Rihana, under 18.. Even if theres no arrest, I wont allow my D to participate in any such mass protest whatever maybe the reason.

That said, As an adult, I expect her to be brave enough to stand up for her convictions.

8. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

if the cause of the protest is significant and if it is a peaceful march guided by some responsible teachers then yes

9. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I will definitely allow my kid under 18 to protest. Only if I or another parent is chaperoneing them.
    Kids under 18 can't be questioned by cops without parents presence that being said. Educating kids pros/ cons of protesting and also things to do if the cops arrest them is the best way to go.

In my opinion if we don't encourage kids to stand up today for their identity/ needs/ civil rights the expectation someone else to stand up for them might prevail in them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nope. Not without one of us present. We do a lot of marches and rallies but we always go with her.
    As it is, teenagers are fairly hot headed. In a group there is no saying what happens.
    We are currently working on impulse control. I can imagine my daughter and her friends. They are going to get out of control very quickly. Calming down and thinking through are not yet in their systems.

I try to treat her as a grown up and let her make decisions but there are things she does and says that reminds me she is still a child.

SunPa and ashima10 like this.