1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Your First Day in America

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by medharaghav, Jun 30, 2009.

1. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Geetha

I used to think that people are same everywhere,. but in India but love to glorify all the bad things we do.. like other day i was reading a book about the founder of Infoysis, he way they have worked for education, none of our media channels talks about it.. they are all unsung heros ..
    i believe when ever we visit West we should learn new things and try to implement them in our country..
    :coffee

Regards
    Medha

2. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

Very true Medha.
    Recently I was reading the interview of Sharath Babu the young MBA Grad who has made India proud in an Indian magazine.The headline of that interview was SLUMDOG CHENNAI or something like that.It was disgusting.How can you call people from slums as dogs?If some headless brit calls it why do we accept that.For everybody's information there are so many many slumdogs in NYC.They look worse and unkempt than people in our country.I was disgusted and have written to the editor about my discontentment.First of all the movie was shot so miserably and showed exaggerated version of India's poverty.The press in India is our country's own enemy!!:bang

3. priyapraveendvs

priyapraveendvs Bronze IL'ite

hi all

i landed usa on may 16th... in SFO AIRPORT..I WAS Very calm, no noise . and i saw all ladies are very fair in very less dresses.. suddenly cab came and i stepped in to it.. and on road i dint find one bike,,, all cars runing in 65 miles everything was cofusing..and we reached apartment..and i was alone for 4 days..isurrounded with 4 walls. then at my balcony i was spending my time suddenly i heard telugu words i felt very happy and eagerly searchign who spoked it or it was my feeling...then next day i came to know my upstairs people are telugu people then slowly i got a gang of30 membs i was very happy in usa but felt very bad when coming back to inida as my husbands project was only for a year... when i got adjusted with usa and came to know all places and routes and everything we came back to india, at last last i arranged some chairs and sofas and bed and car also... but we dint enjoy them at last...

4. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

My first day in USA is adventerous missing my connecting flight in JFK, NY, moreover I was travelling alone..Yes.. I missed my connection flight to Columbus , South Carolina.

After my marriage, my husband came back to US after short trip, I came to US after finishing my studies. My husband booked the ticket from Hyd to JFK and then connecting flight to columbus. My flight landed lately in JFK and thus missed my connecting flight, I have no idea what to do when I got down the flight, even nobody told me before that there is a chance of facing this situation with connecting flights. I had some dollars with me, followed other passengers of my flight, since there are other Indians who are in my situation, we all got the accommodation for that night in nearby hotel Ramada, next day morning got the booking for next connecting flight to columbus.

Airport people gave us ride in LIMOUSINE, went to Hotel.. by that time I was so tired, feeling very hungry, checked in the hotel, they provided buffet dinner, I went there in lobby to find if there is something I can eat, nothing.. Oh my God.. I dont understand what to choose and what all this kind of food. finally I had some coffee and took two apples with me and took elevator to go to 7th floor of the hotel where my room was. To be frank with you.. I am so scared to get in to elevator too. this is all new to me, new environment , all alone. when I stepped out of elevator in 7th floor, I looked all sides, there are three pathways, one in front of me, one to left side and one to right side.. nobody is seen around.. very silent, got scared to walk too. that is the first time I felt the SILENCE in America and even today I see that silence in this environment. finally came to room, dont know how to operate the swipe card to open the room door, got it finally.. entered the room,spent that night all alone , want to take bath to fresh up..dont know how to operate the bath tub hot and cold water .. struggled to understand even that.. when I think of it now.. I feel how silly it was..Oh I forgot to tell you.. One Indian couple who were my co-passengers in my flight gave me calling card number and told the instructions to operate.. then I called my husband that I am stuck in NY and will be coming to columbus next day. He was very anxious to know about me , and relaxed after my call.

I couldnot sleep properly that night as it is new place, next day when I woke up , each and every inch of body has aches, I dont have any pain killers too. came to airport by ride given by Hotel people and got the connection flight, went home safely. I calculated it was total 48hours journey door to door for me to come to US. One good memorable moment is when I open the window curtains that night, I was awestruck by that beauty of NYC in light. that picture is imprinted in my mind even today.

That was the first challenge I faced in US and thereafter.. many challenges to settle in life.

Skalluri.

5. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Geetha

Movie like Slumdogs just degrade our country.. infact we as an Indian are suffering from the problem of identity crisis and i strongly believe we are ready to go any extent to give free publicity and attention.. all the things pilled up together.. Infact ina ll the countries there are two different society which runs parallelly one is Slum and other one is high class and in between Middle class people they suffer as they dont belong to any category..

do you think after coming to US people ( Indian) develop double standards i mean for India their values , perceptions are different..

Regards
    Medha:coffee

6. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Dear Skalluri

Yours is the one of the best experience i have read.. i can easily feel how lonely you might have felt.. you wont believe when my husband was going there he had asked me to come alone and i had given all this examples how will i manage.. but indeed you are very courageous.. sometime i wonder when we are at my parent's place we are so protected . secured but once we are married we really dont know what lies ahead.. i think it is important that our parents should give us different experience so that when we have to manage all alone we can do it with full confidence..

We will be happy to know more about your new challenges you faced after you came and share something more about your background :2thumbsup:

thanks once again for sharing your feelings

regards
    Medha

7. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Priya

I can understand how it feels when you set up your home and you just couldnt get the chance to enjoy it...to which city you came and how was your experience over all...
    i think in US it is all upto us to develop our own social circle as our DH will be too busy in their office work..

Regards
    Meda:coffee

8. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Dear Pandu
    Congratulations.. i hope by now you would have come out from the jetlag. how was your first week in US..

Regards
    Medha:coffee

9. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Hi Medha,

A very nice thread triggering all the nostalgic moments. I came to US in 2001 alone on H1B. My friend and her hubby was there to receive me in SFO airport. In the evening went to udupi palace for dinner. When it was time to sleep, I started to miss my parents, city, friends etc. Started to weep slowly and didn't realize when I dozed off. Its been over 8 years now and visiting India almost every year. Every time I have the same strange feeling as a first time visitor when I land in the airport and enter my house. After first 2 days things will just be fine and you will start to feel the reality.

I guess it should be just fine for you as you have your DH here. Imagine people like me and F1 students who come alone with nobody other than friends or acquaintance.

FYI, just came back from long vacation in India. Still trying to overcome home sickness.

-Uma

10. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hey Medha,

Thank you.I felt First week was too long as my DH was busy with office and I had to spend time at home alone :( . Now I have made few friends so feeling much better.

Cheers!!
    Pandu