Your first cooking experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Navpreet, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Wow its a nice thread..

If I think of 'first cooking' it is more so an experiment rather an attempt of cooking. Me from a strict vegetarian family, had a intolerable inquisitiveness during my 4th standard, for experimenting recipes with EGG which was an alien to me...Needless to say the experiment was a big disaster then, but a funny moment to think now :)

Me and the Oval substance - IndusLadies

But my genuine attempt of cooking was made when I was 15 or so, one day when mom was out somewhere and me wanting to put some dal and rice. I was so dumbo not even knowing which is tur dal and channa dal, boiled, smashed adn tempered channa dal and kept ready. But unusually bigger than what mom use to make.... Wanted to surprise my Mom, but... bonk

2. cjniya

cjniya New IL'ite

When I watched the movie Bridget Jones’s Diary, I laughed at her blue soup which she made by the vegetables and some blue uneatable ropes. I thought it was a joke, how could a girl be so stupid and could not cook meals? At least they should know how to cook soups. Until I met my girlfriend I knew that story is true.
    As I am not fond of beauties, Air Jordan sneakers or other luxury things, my only habit is enjoying every delicacy I could find, in other words, I am a glutton. My girlfriend knows my habit and she just tries her best to get close to me, and that is learning how to cook. She is an exquisite girl, when you look at her, all you think are the cosmetics, perfume, luxury clothes, jewel and high class salon. You could never recall the kitchen from her. But she did want to be a good mate to me, a soul mate and life mate.
    So the story began on one Sunday morning. She locked herself in the kitchen and did not allow me to enter, she would cook a meal for me all by herself. And after four hours the meal was ready. They seemed---- well, beautiful, but not in the food way. As I put my spoon into the soup, I found something strange and it turned out to be a rubber wristband. Well, was it a silicon soup? My girlfriend just used it to tie the shrimps. I really do not know how it happened. After finding that strange material from the soup, I did not feel well then. But in order not to let her disappointed, I, the one who care food more than life, ate up all the dishes.
    Guess what, now she is my fiancée. Love has nothing to do with your cooking skills, right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2010
  3. SujathaR

SujathaR Gold IL'ite

I wont forget when I started to cook..

I was trying to make pasta.. Finally it became nasty.. :drowning

also got fire burns in my hand..:bonk

4. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

This was when i was nmy 6th std and my sister was in 9th.We both dontknow anythng about cookng.just know to turn on and off stove.What happend is my parents were out of station.That was one day trip.They planned accordingly for our sake bcas they didnt want toleave us alone night.
    My mother had prepared food for us for whole day and they left after giving lots of instructions.Nght came but they didnt come.We finished dineer and nothng was left for them to eat.Anyway dosa batter was there.And my mother's idea was tomake dosa for both of them.
    What we sisters planned was, let us surprise them by making rawa upma.We dont know thepropotion of water and rawa.1st the rawa was excess.so we added water.then water was excess we add rawa.Ths continued for few tmes.And alas the kadai was full.we started making upma for two.now the kadai was full.not u know no salt ,no spice.:rotfl.more like a glue than like a upma.:bonk

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  5. Priakarthi

Priakarthi New IL'ite

The 3 Whistles

It's so nostalgic to think about the first cooking experience...
    My mom never allowed me to kitchen and maximum I would do is cutting vegetables, cleaning the house etc.
    And u know things never gonna be the same always….I was 22 then….and there came a situation, I need to travel abroad for a while….
    I and mom made a checklist and packed everything….like rice, dhal, groceries and made sure we never forget anything….but too late to realise that I don’t know cooking…:bonk
    I somehow had this verse in the mind “Anyone can cook…” as Gusteau says in the movie Ratatouille …:thumbsup

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have to stay with a german family with a mom and a little girl…You know they never seen a rice cooker in their life…and that too when I took it out, I had to give them a “Demo” like a Sales Person…and make them understand nothing dangerous about it…:notthatway:
    Now here comes the D-Day….I had to cook rice at first day to my office. Since it is an electric stove, the heating up process took a long time. I was told by my mother that I had to wait for 3 whistles so that the rice gets cooked by third whistle and I had to take it out. The little german girl was extra curious about the cooker and she comes near the stove and observe it….and with first whistle she screamed and ran off to hide behind her mom….:hide:
    I waited for half an hour and the third whistle came.I opened it and to my dismay I saw rice turned to black…..with burnt smell…..Ah! My least hope that I would get rice for lunch got spoiled in an hour……in 3 whistles…:thumbsdown
    Thank God…The german lady saved my day and gave me apple pies for lunch….but with a condition …That I shouldn’t be using this “little whistling thing” hearafter…..:idea
    I agreed….She taught me cooking from level one…rice and even dhal…since she had earlier cooked for Indian guests…
    She is a very kind hearted lady and cooked for me whenever I asked her for….:bowdown
    Now, I am married and cooking well…..trying varieties of dishes….I now too cook rice in cooker...the same 3 whistles but it’s white and good..:)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  6. GreyWill

GreyWill New IL'ite

Hmm.Very interesting topic which is happened with all of us but some of them have at low level.When i cooked for the first time it was totally salty because i added salt two times.

7. anitasridhar

anitasridhar New IL'ite

Hii,

The first thing i made was Rasam when i was maybe around 11-12yrs. I had to take this task as my mom was not keeping well and since it was sunday my dad was at home..

Mom was taking rest inside the bedroom and very often i used to go and ask her "ippo enna" mean now wat is supposed to do..Finally the rasam was prepared. When my dad started having rasam and rice , his face changed and he told " Verum Pulli Tani"(Tamrind Water):bonk..OOPS it was a big flop..As years went i never dared to step in the kitchen and only used to experiment when my parents were not around that too very seldom..

Hehe..After marriage one day i was recollecting the incidence and realised i forgot to put Parupp in it which messed up totally:biglaugh

8. kainaath

kainaath Senior IL'ite

nice thread...brings back long rusted memories

unlike many... i did not start cooking with rice or tea coffee as i thought these were simplier things to cook. I wanted to start with something which i used to appreciate at every meal...chappatis/ rotis
    i was so fascinated with the way my mom used to make each chappati in a prefect shape that i coaxed her to teach me how to make one the first thing...BIG MISTAKE.:spin
    when i started with the first rolling out of the so called perfect shaped chappati......mere ko Dal AATA ka bhao maloom hua.:rotfl
    i had all the maps of different countries, islands, etc. just in the first attempt.:biglaugh

memories......

9. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Nice thread!!!! It started with coffee, my mom had gone out and I decided to make coffee for my dad who had unfortunately come home early that day:rotfl. I started with the coffee powder, sugar etc, that part went well. Little did I know that what I thought was milk, in the vessel next to the stove was actually yogurt left to ferment. It had not become thick yet as she had just put it for fermentation just few hours back. I tried heating the so called milk and it started curdling, my friend corrected me saying this cannot be milk and I did not listen to her tsk So, after all the heating, I added the 'milk' to the coffee and proudly took it to my dad, who was really surprised that I attempted to make something for him. What was sooo sweet of him was that he did not utter a single word that it was bad and drank the entire cup :rotfl. I still cannot make a perfect tasting coffee, but now know the difference between milk and yogurt :)

10. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

My first cooking experience was in my school days when I was studying Std V.

Actually one of my distant relatives expired and my parents went to their house leaving me behind.

My mom has done everything for the lunch except that she didnt cook rice. She must have thought to come back and cook.
    Two hours must have gone by. My stomach started to feel the hunger. And I went to the kitchen to find the rice missing.

So I started to cook rice.
    I washed rice and poured some water simply (I dont know that it was 1:3 for rice :water) and kept the vessel inside the cooker. And switched it on. But I never knew that we have to pour some water inside the cooker too. When I was about to leave the kitchen, whistle came. I was surprised as I have seen that It takes some time to cook. So came closer and put off the flame. Started to think what was wrong. But had no idea. So again switched. Again the next second the whistle came. I was confused. Tried many times. And finally walked out.

Then my mom returned in half an hour or so. I didnt speak a word thinking that I must have spoilt the cooker. I ran to my dad and was busy talking with him. My mom came after some time and pat me and said that the outer vessel also needs some water to cook.

And so actually I didnt cook anything.