1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favourite director and his/her best film according to you

Discussion in 'Movies' started by abibaby, Jun 26, 2009.

1. abibaby

abibaby Silver IL'ite

Dear ILs ,

Can I have ur opinion on ur favourite director and the best film by him / her ?

My choice will always be the great Mani ratnam and his best film according to me is Nayakan...I would have seen the film atleast 10-12 times.

Thanks,
    kirthiga

2. supriyaakp

supriyaakp Bronze IL'ite

Hi abibaby,
    My favorite director is maniratnam and in his direction agni natchatram is my all-time favourite. and now GURU

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

I feel screenplay shows the real talent of a director...Even a dry story can be made interesting and vis-a-vis with screenplay techniques.

I like goutham menon's movie but he drags the 2nd half a little bit and also gives a lengthy picture inspite of some obvious unwanted scenes...If we check in youtube we can find umpteen number of deleted scenes from his movies.

In this case i like K.Bhagyaraj, K.Balachander and Selvaraghavan's products...That too Balachander's directorial touch is simply superb. I hate most of his stories which are least applicable in practical life, but his screenplay will be excellent...

4. abibaby

abibaby Silver IL'ite

Thanks Supriya and Cindujaa for your feedbacks. Yes, even I like Bharathiraaja and Balachander. As you have rightly said, I like KB's directorial touch a lot.We may not like KB's films sometimes for their bold themes, but if you watch the same film in a later period,may be after 5- 6 years, you will love it. I did not like Kalki initially, but when I watched it after 3 years, I loved it.

Gautham menon is good.But the problem with him is that he uses a lot of english dialogues. A lay man cannot easily understand it very soon.I personally did not like his Varanam Ayiram, though Surya's acting was great in that movie.

The director can be from any language. Would love to see lot more feedback.

regards,
    kirthiga

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi krithika,

i love KB's serial "rayil sneham" a lot rather than any of his movies...class screenplay and direction.."Nizhalgal Ravi" was the apt choice for that role.....

But i loved the movie "Vaaranam Aayiram" ...that was very close to my heart...i agree it was dragging and had nothing interesting for general audience...really made me nostalgic..might be that could have been the reason :thumbsup

6. aharia

aharia Silver IL'ite

hi kirthiga,

thanks for starting such a nice theard.

my alltime favourite is maniratnam & gowtham mennon.

mani ratnam movies i like mouna ragam, kannathil muthamittal.

iruvar.

gowtham movies i like kaaka kaaka, vaaranam aaiyram.

7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

My favourite director is Sridhar , who directed so many films in the past. In his film screen play would be nice. the dialogues, photography everything would be remarkable.
    Particularly, his movie "Nenjil Oor Aalyam". The whole movie was shot in the hospital within 15 days.Even now that movie is evergreen in my memory.
    with love
    pad

8. marialatha

marialatha Junior IL'ite

Hey Ladies..

Nice thread to discuss...

My favourite is always Manirathnam and my all time favourite movie is Roja.... very nice movie with scenic picturisation and lovely songs by AR Rahman..

Cheers
    Maria

9. idini

idini New IL'ite

My Best Director is Mani Ratnam. Kannathil Muthamittal is the best film.

10. coolgirl24

coolgirl24 Senior IL'ite

hello ladies,

nice thread to start with...my favorite directors are Mani Ratnam's Roja, Bombay, Guru, i even liked Gautham Menon's Kakka Kakka and Vettaiyadu Vilayadu, Cheran's movies are also good like Autograph, Pirivom Sandhipom, in hindi i like Hrishikesh Mukherjee films like Golmal, Chupke Chupke, Khoobsoorat, Basu Chatterjee films like Choti si Baat, Chit Chor are some of my all time favorites. :thumbsup

I also like films made by Sooraj Barjatia, Rakesh Om Prakash Mehra, Anurag Basu, Imtiyaz Ali in new directors.

regards

vidya