1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You CopyCats - Cheated us outrightly and Openly

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Venonimiss, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

Recently, I was replying to several posts about our melodious songs and their weird picturizations, then I started a thread about best songs we love and yesterday I stumbled upon something shocking!

I was driving home from work and as usual I tuned in to NPR (National Public Radio) and was listening to the program "Market place". There was a talk about how Indian cinema copies movies, stories, music from west and other places without obtaining any copyrights. That is not new to any of us. But there was a website mentioned during that program.

itwofs.com

It is created and maintained by a Bangalore based guy named Karthik. I was curious about the site and had to open it immediately after reaching home. What can you say - I was betrayed, Cheated..hmm..What is all this...why????

Go to the site and you will see all my favorite songs in Hindi - stolen/copied from West. I felt angry, but also very guilty for appreciating the talents of these copiers and not recognizing the talented original composers of the English/Spanish and other Languages Music. I know, some movie and some music is copied and I know both the original and copied songs, but I didn't know they copied all my favorite songs. Or may be I like the other languages music better, that what ever was copied - were my favorites! But what ever it may be - my Dh and I, were like two adamant kids, wanting explanation and consolation for having our favorites songs in the list!

Getting inspired from or just similar by coincidence is a different case, but blatantly copying stuff is outrageous. Though I admire our singers, I would never forgive the composers who stole the music without acknowledging the source of that music.

And by the way, I should say - Good work Karthik. It takes a lot of work to create something like this.

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

:( :( :(

thats reality

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  3. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Dont feel bad...i think that it is really sad that nothing original ever comes up..but as illiyaraja once said....there are only 7 swaras...it is upto us to create and fool the people with it....

warm wishes,

aqua

4. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

I guess there should be some stringent rules on these lines. Recently I was browsing the web for information on PMP and found a website maintained by a German that warns the readers, that most of the questions from his website are used by an Indian website and they even claim to be their own (no ack to the original website) !

If our people display this kind of behaviour, how will we Indians as a whole be able to command respect in the International community ? :spin

5. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Truth is always Truth !!!!

What to do ? After all we have only 7 Swaras right ?!!!

6. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

Yes..Sigh! There are only 7 swaras, but to create a melody that has not existed before out of those seven is the magic.

Well..I agree about the PMP site!! Not just educational and information sites, but even in areas lie Ayurveda and Yoga, which were originally Indian - the content is being copied from western sites.

My positive spin on the whole thing - Now I can stylishly quote the names of the original composers from many countries and boast that they are my favorites!! ha..ha..ha..

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

A diary that rewrites history..

History was not my favourite subject. Inspite of it some information does stick to my mind. Vasco da gama found the sea route to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place>. Right? An info in a local magazine says padmasri Dr. Vishnu Sridhar waugankar( wonder if I spell right here as I am translating from tamil) a research scholar had gone to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region></st1:place>. His friends told him that there was a diary by the famous Vasco d agama. So he felt curious and went to confirm.
    Sure enough the diary was there in the museum. The diary in his handwriting read
    ``When my ship was about to sail from a port in <st1:place w:st="on">Africa</st1:place> I saw a ship about three times bigger than my ship anchored there. With the help of a friend who can speak Indian languages I met the owner of the ship. The ship owner called chandan was a gujarati trader. He had come from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> with scents and spices pine oil and teak to trade and return with diamonds and return to cochi port. When I went to meet the trader he was seated in an ordinary cot wearing simple dress. He asked me where I was sea bound. When I said I wanted to visit <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. To which the gujarati trader said that he was to leave for <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place> tomorrow and if he wished he can follow him with his ship. I followed him to land in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place>.’’
    We read history and somebody twists facts to feed better history….!!!

Sathya

The mattress at home
    I draped in silk.
    The best AC in the world
    To keep you cool
    A bed time drink
    The melodious tune
    I just had to make sure
    You were not disturbed.

But little one
    The garden steps
    The rustling leaves
    The blowing wind
    And insect bites
    You sleep so sound
    But forlorn?
    I ask although I know
    The answer
    Love mama me
    Was it just love
    That you wanted?
    And I provided
    Everything but love?

this has been written by my sis sathya and they have a very different story to tell how the west worked very hard to erase the pride of india by giving us the inferiority complex by saying they are the people who have been the inventors but here in india we have been far more superior in culture and our own history speak volumes...it is regrettable the trouble that has been taken to show these points of copy cat wish could dig into the old history to know how the west were copy cats all the way, from the manufacturing of silk which could be drawn out of a match box and what did they get in return only chopped hands....sunkan

8. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sunkan, it made me smile when I read your comment. Yes, I agree with you infenitely - No contest! I am from one of those who take pride in many and most of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>'s greatness and even after living in US for 9 years, my blood still boils with patriotism, like it used to when I was a teenager.

A mere criticism of some copycats doesn't discount all the greatness of <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. But I agree with you. People should make an effort to praise, remember and honor <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>'s great contributions to humanity rather than picking up some of the errors few Indians made and criticize them.

And for the fact that westerners deliberately made attempts to diminish Indian culture, traditions, religions and arts by roots is..sorry..still questionable to me. May be I am ignorant, may be I have no knowledge of history, but in my view the westerners are not that intelligently capable of doing something - so worth noticing.

I had immense joy reading your reply. Thanks and Happy Holi.

9. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Hi Venonimiss,

I went thru the website and listened to many of the songs by my favourite music directors especially R.D,Illayaraja, Salil Chaudhary, S.D Burman and was a bit shocked.

Although I was aware the likes of music directors like Bappi Lahiri, Anu Malik,
    Devaa etc. had their ears planted in the western music or Bollywood music , I was bit shocked about my favourite R.D and his Mehbooba number[ sholay] which is an outright copy.

Anyway, it is old wine in a new bottle, that's what it is!

But R.D,S.D,Maestro [Illayaraja] ke liye sab kuch maaf .... they were ,are and will always be the best .

One can't deny or forget the countless melodies they have given us !!!!!!

:thumbsup

But, as you rightly said good work by the gentlemen on the website itwofs.

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

left the lines of poem that never suited here cut..sunkan