1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You and Your Sister.....how different?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by adara, Sep 30, 2009.

1. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

Sibling rivalry CAN start at 30- Why not?
    I think, with either sisters or brothers, the relationship changes after marriage. Now you have your own family to consider, situations are different, so if one sister feels that the other is having an easier time, (irrespective of whether she does or not)- then we'll have a classic case of sibling rivalry.
    We are two sisters, and I've often felt we might as well be of two seperate lineages....we are so very different! In spite of our differnences, we are quite close, though.
    we both live away from India now, and in different countries, so there's not much day-to-day intimacy between us. She too, checks her mails sporadically, and often forgets to return calls. But I know she'll probably be around to lend me some support if I ever need it, and I hope she knows that I'll do the same too - so that, IMO makes us quite close after all!

2. jaisreer

jaisreer New IL'ite

my sisters are lot older. They have achieved a lot in life. Me on the other hand had to tend to my old parents. My elder-sister had a contempt to wards me. When I married my husband she was very jealous of me. Used to make a lot of catty remarks I ignored it at times other times avoided her. Now that I have lost my husband she feels sorry for me. I am not sure how to handle that. I have told myself,you choose your friends, but we have to work with what we have, with family.

3. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

my sis n me are like best frnds... we have two yr difference , im the eldest , we both have common intrests in everything n ask each other opinions even when we r shopping as well. :) we love to share our clothes ... even when my hubby wants sum thing fr me , he always calls my sis first to check if I like itnor not...like wise her fiancé :rotfl

she considers my opinion as a last say ... even more than my parents.

she is going to get married soon... I really hope nothing changes between us:)

I love her

4. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

My sister i feel does not want to have anything to do with me now...we barely talk to each other now...only on bdays nd other festivals...she puts on an act that she is extremely troubled in front of my parents...i am quite fed up! who cares what i feel.

5. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

My sister does the same over phone and I feel the same. I would like my parents to move to US and live in a separate house, I can take care of finances, but parents do not want to move to USA if they have to live seperately. My sister and myself can visit daily and help them out. Parents are very overbearing and dominant, helped them as much as they needed financially. I do not think my sister wants them to move closer to us. After living in US, I got used to independence,conflict and nagging free life. May be I am selfish, but I have a very demanding teenager and professional life. It seems to me that my parents are acting like my teenager and every one drives me crazy once in 2 weeks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  6. radhasel

radhasel New IL'ite

i have two sisters, one elder and younger than me, both are in 6 yrs difference for me.i dnt hv gd relationship wth my elder sister , every thing changed after my dads dealth, but i was v.close to my younger one.but things changed , when am n india, i was thre for 5 yrs, then only i moved to dubai wth my husband.n tht 5 yrs,she stayed wth me, startd sayng all bad about me to others, to my frnds,relatives, wen i heard ds,really shocked,why she did so?? bcos of jealous or to hurt me?? for wat?? many things happend, still i have the pain. am calling her to come for chat, but she doesnt,i too agree, n abroad life style is different, am chatting wth my india frnds 15 or 30 dys once .according to me keeping a distance is better than getting hurtd .

7. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Now wen i look at my side of the family and compare with my husbands...me nd my sister few yrs down the line will stop communication altogether...but my hubby will or will have to take care of his spoilt bratty sis...:bonk my sis comes online nd leave messages for all other relatives (even the ones we dont get along well with!) but will never chat with me...my bil(sisters dh) chats almost everyday with his own sis who lives in the US but never bothers to reply to me...my parents are totally brainwashed by sis nd they think all miseries of the world have fallen upon her:spinshe nd her dh both r doctors nd behave as if they have no money or income!!!!

8. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

I agree parvathi, some people are like that pretending as if they are living a miserable life without even a penny .It's simply their tactics to get the help from others.