1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yet Another Day Of Grouch And Truce!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yet Another Day Of Grouch And Truce!

This morning I was happy for no reason at all. I have reasons only for my unhappiness but not for my happiness. So I started whistling a favourite old song of mine and enjoying it too. As I was moving from Pallavi to Anupallavi, my wife rushed in with anxiety written all over her face. Your breathing sounds a bit different, she declared. Normally, she added, I made such hissing noise only when I was deep asleep at night. I felt very annoyed. Nothing hurts me as much as when someone makes fun of my singing. I looked at her contemptuously and told her that I was whistling a beautiful song from an old film. She was even more concerned now. ‘You shouldn’t be whistling at your age’, she shot back. It was not only indecent, she added, but scared everyone around. ‘We certainly can’t make out any song from the air gushing out noisily from your mouth,’ she pointed out. I felt very hurt. How could anyone kill a budding musician like this? It was pure jealousy, I tell you.

The problem with old ladies is that they lay guidelines for our behaviour befitting our age, I mean their age. They try to impose their standards on their husbands. Where is it laid down that a man well past his mid-seventies shouldn’t be whistling?
    She asked me ‘You know what day is tomorrow?’ I said ‘Friday’. She slapped her head and said that she was not asking for the day of the week. ‘Tomorrow is Varalaksmi Vridam you know. You ought to be sitting and brushing up some old Chants instead of making hissing noises and wasting your precious breath’. The problem with her is that if she latches on any subject, she can never come out of it. Like Abimanu in Chakravyuha. I gave her a nasty look which she hardly noticed.

I opened my cupboard and fished through my huge collection of Wodehouse books and finally got hold of a book of Slokas on Varalakshmi. I sat down with the book on a comfortable chair and waded through the book in order to buy peace with the lady. But she hardly noticed me as she sat down to clean the Thazhampoo (ketaki flower). She looked at me and asked me if I had any idea why this flower was not used in any other Pooja. I replied that it was available only in this season. She grimaced and would have hit her head again if her hands were not holding the thorny flower

As I was going through the Sloka book, I started whistling again. ‘What now?’ asked my wife. ‘I am trying to get the exact rhythm of the ‘mantras,’ I explained to her. She perhaps did not know that every mantra had to be chanted in a particular meter for getting maximum benefit out of it. ‘Looks like today is a day of hissing and I have to live with it,’ she sighed. She tried to divert my attention by asking me to tie the mango leaves at the door. ‘Will do it but not until I go through these slokas’ I told her. She sighed again making it obvious that today was a great day for sighing.

I fell silent and pretended to be engrossed in the sloka book. I knew that I had to call truce by the end of the day and ensure that it did not spill over to the following day. Tomorrow she would be the boss of the house as she distributed the ‘modakam’ and vadas to us. If I carried the arguments too far to day, she would not hesitate to pay tit for tat tomorrow. If I asked for a couple of more ‘Modakams’, she would point out that I had taken enough considering my BP and sugar. When she looked up at me after dealing with the ‘Thazhampoo’, I gave her a grin of truce.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Ah... a love duet in hiss and sigh. I asked myself why someone like Rossini did not compose a duet for whistle and sigh ?

Here is Rossini's Two Cats meowing duet (Duetto Buffo Di Due Gatti):

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  3. Cheeniya

@Amulet
    Thank you for the first response. But the link that you sent would not open.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sigh....and I sigh for a different reason. I sympathize completely with you. I have always loved to whistle. "Anda road le movaaliyal (vagabonds in Bambaiyya Hindi - movaali) madri whistle adchandu nadkaade" my mom would decree. I'd shut up for a minute only to start off again. "Whistling at night will be an invitation to snakes" she tried telling me when I was very young and that shut me up ...... effectively ..... for a few years until I started to question that bit of wisdom. I mean, there is a difference between the sound of my whistling and that of a snake-charmer's pipe. Slowly I started to ignore the 'warnings'. I finally learned to whistle and can do tunes as well. I still can't do the whistle with fingers in mouth and worry that I might have to come back to earth again to complete an undone job. I hope I succeed in learning to do that before whistling my swan song. As the years progressed, I started asking mom where it was written that only boys and that too those who are movaalis have the patent right to whistle. "If I can whistle, then it means God wants me to." was my logic. :) Add to that a 'whistle kacheri' gave me more ammunition to defend my case.

One of my favourite ways of waking myself up in the mornings is to dance to nursery rhymes playing inside my head while making myself a cuppa or to whistle. One day the mil and BH were sitting at the dining table. "Where is that sound coming from" queried the mil. The BH ratted on me. "Oh, you whistle very nicely. Maybe you should take it up seriously" replied the mil. Oh well! Support sometimes comes from the most unexpected quarters, doesn't it?

Thyagarajan, Shanvy, Anisu and 4 others like this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I am sorry to read that. However, you may try these in sequence
    1. click that "reload this page" button which would be one of the buttons on top left or right corner depending on your browser. And then when the page reloads, try that hyperlink again.
    2. Using the link's name, that is, Duetto Buffo Di Due Gatti, do a search on youtube. And you will find a link that launches.

I hope one of these would work. Perhaps on/after the VV day....if you had been useful to the lady of the home. ;)

6. Cheeniya

@Amulet
    Now it works. Really catty I tell you! There is nothing equal to the cats' chorus.

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao:

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Your narration not only made me laugh aloud but brought me the memories of reading Bhagyam Ramasamy's "Appuswamy & Seetha Patti" series. The lady of the house used to be always multi-talented while the man of the house was hanging around with some useless dudes plus young kids to do mischief.

It also made me guess the song you were whistling and reminded me "Vanda Naal Mudaal" (Since the day we arrived) the song from Paava Mannippi (Seeking pardon for the sin) that had whistling as a part of the interlude. I used to whistle and play Mouth Organ when I was young and I have lost touch with all those habits. I am happy you kept that interest alive until now.

It is interesting you brought "Thazamboo" to the discussion. I am sure you are familiar with the story but for the benefit of others who don't know, let me explain it here. This Ketaki flower was prosecuted for perjury (lying under the oath) to Lord Shiva giving evidence that Lord Brahma had seen the head of Lord Shiva. Actually, Lord Brahma saw the flower falling down from the head and met the flower on the way up. Only during Shivarathri, this flower is used to worship Lord Shiva.

Varalakshmi worship is important to women and is done for the long life of the husband and other family members. Isn't it? Sir, stop whistling immediately and tie up the mango leaves at the door. After all, Smt. Cheeniya is praying for your health.

Viswa

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Budding musician? Sir??? I agree, what has age got to do with anything anyways! As I read through the snippet I wondered if you felt the rhythm between aunty's sighing and your whistling as both of you sat quietly seemingly doing your own stuff. And if aunty says that is how you sound while asleep too, why take offense? Be happy that you are happy in your sleep as well, whistling away :)

Wise man you are sir, indeed! Modakams can make a whistling man in to a grinning man in no time and so futuristic too - all the smiles and grins for a better tomorrow. Way to go! Power of good food! Varalkshmi was a favorite festival of both my mom and my MIL and I follow it diligently here. The only downside is food. I can barely finish pooja and rush out, weekday and all. But the next day is my day and I love making obbattu on that day! As for flowers sir, I am only grateful that it is the time of fall and mums are plenty. Plenty indeed and I delight in buying these plants, use he flowers and plant them outside later. The only difficulty is deciding the color - so many varieties!

Thyagarajan, PavithraS, Anisu and 5 others like this.
  10. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya Sir,
    Interesting duet; sounds+verbal. It is your wisdom that you did not allow the issue to escalate, otherwise, neighbours would have enjoyed the noisy crackers. Instead of Varalakshmi, it would have been Deepavali!

When in good mood, I hum. If my husband is around he will unfailingly enquire with utmost concern, 'Are you crying?' This is such a weapon to lead to an explosion! :sob::eek:So when he whistles, I make sure to point out how off tune it is or lol; that is enough to destroy:rage: his whistling mood!:banana: