yelagiri trip

Discussion in 'Travel' started by aparnaram, Nov 3, 2011.

1. aparnaram

aparnaram Gold IL'ite

Hey.. does anyone visited yelagiri before? if so pl share your experience because im planning to visit yelagiri next month???

How to reach yelagiri from chennai?.. Is there is any bus service or train? What i can expect their?

2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi..,
    I have been to Yelagiri a fantastic spot for relaxing..Actually I went by car from Chennai to Yelagiri...
    By train you can go upto Jolarpettai and from there the hotel will arrange for cars..thats what I know please enquire further...I stayed at Hotel Taj Zeenath..its beautiful one esp little cozy cottages..they offer discounts if you during weekday excet Friday... n during off season...they have put their website google it you will get to know...but dont book online as the prices quoted are more than actual ones..

Good Luck

1 person likes this.
  4. aparnaram

aparnaram Gold IL'ite

thanks for the information swaran & bunny.. if i happend to visit by next month i'l surely share my experience.. because im also planning for the first time... let me try to work out this trip better.. thanks once again

5. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

I had been there 3 years ago i guess..but its a beautiful place to get relaxed on a tired weekend..you will almost be among the clouds when you trek there..nice place..can enjoy boating as well ..

6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Nice place dear aparnaram. Very peaceful, pleasanr weather. Not many things to do around as its a small place, but it is an ideal weekend getaway from the maddening city crowd. Hope you have a good trip.

7. banujaga

banujaga Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I have been wanting to write about Yelagiri Hills. But, somehow work kept me busy and I always postponed it. But when I saw your post,i said "That's it" and I am not going to miss it this time!!!

Here, I am sharing my first experience at Yelagiri Hills, hope you like it.

A brief background about myself - Mine is a late marriage (only 2.5 years now). Since our marriage was not like the so called "typical marraige" (becoz of the age factor), we did not make any hue and cry about it and got married in a temple. We did not go to our honeymoon too. I kept on pestering my hubby to take me somewhere (wanted a break actually). Finally, he decided that we go out of town and told me to enquire about Yelagiri. I sincerely started my favourite "Google search" and gathered all the required information. When I told him, he yelled at me for giving him wrong information. Then, later he said anyways, we will go, no issues.

Since ours was not a plan (My hubby is very unsure most of the times), we did not book our tickets. We boarded a bus to Vanniyambadi, got down somewhere, took a local bus and went to the bus stop, From there, we took a bus to Jolarpet. We waited for the bus to Yelagiri for almost an hour. Then we took an auto to the hills. Since, I had the information of places to visit, we were sure where to go. I told my husband, "this place looks homely. I wish we get a room wtih a terrace, so that we can have a nice time". Believe it or not, we got a room with a open terrace. We enjoyed the sun set, sun rise and the cool breeze too.

The greenery is very nice out there. We stayed near the boathouse. The boathouse is very huge with boating and swimming facilities.

You can go trekking, there is a place called Swami Malai. There are 2 villages which you can visit, you will get to see a village, how people are, etc (like they show in films). The most appreciating thing is the greenery and the hospitality of the people.

There are guest houses and hotels which are reasonable to stay. You have a huge park, the kids will enjoy. Whole day is not enough, I should say. You also have a musical fountain in the park, which opens at 7-00 p.m. You can see people walking in the streets without any fear in late nights.

You have Murugan temple and also a Shiva temple. The Shiva temple is under construction now, being constructed by a lady. I suggest you visit that place without fail. The road leading to Shiva temple is not good. You will have to walk atleast 1km to reach the temple becoz vehicles do not pass that road. The lady is Shakthi Amma. She has the divinity and single handedly, she is constructing this temple. This has a unique gopuram. Since the place is small, it is very easy to find places.

You can hire an auto to go to places. You can take the driver's mobile number. So, till you stay there, you can call him any time and he will be at your service.

If you are planning to visit this month or next month, please carry warm clothes with you and do not forget to carry umbrellas.

If you are going in your own vehicle, please make sure that you fill the tank full as there are no petrol bunks on the hills. Credit cards do not work. You have one SBI ATM. So, please carry enough cash too.

You get nice, non-contaminated jack fruits. You will enjoy them.:)

If you are going by train, Jolarpet is the nearest station. You can hire an auto to go up the hills. It takes 45 minutes to climb the hill. It has 14 hairpin curves and a nice experience. While climbing the hills, be careful of monkeys. Do not keep any eatables visible to them. By auto, it will charge you Rs. 250-00 to Rs. 300-00 only. You get taxis also on hire.

Let me know if you need any other details. You can PM me.

regards
    banu

2 people like this.
  8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hello Banujaga...

Glad to know about your honeymoon trip..
    thanks a lot for sharing such valuable/detailed information about yelagiri...i was really eagerly waiting to get a feedback from our IL friends..and glad you made one...

i even wanted to know whether we could hire an auto...thanks for mentioning that information too...it would be of great help... :)

few questions i would like to ask

(1)can we complete all the sight seeing in 2 days max or to be precise 1.5 days??
    (2)can we move up the hills(hairpin bends) during night time..is that allowed...like if we plan to stay there over the weekend and start on friday evening from bangalore...are we allowed to reach the top the same day or are there any restriction???
    (3)can you please help me by giving more information about this trecking..i mean is it safe/comfortable taking a toddler along for trekking...???...how long do we trek??
    (4)these villages are close to/in yelagiri or we ll have to come down the hills to visit them?!!
    (5) any idea how yelagiri's climate would be during jan end(last week)-feb first week??

thanks in advance

9. sasisekar17

sasisekar17 New IL'ite

Hi, ive been to yelagiri , nice place to relax. just small version of yercaud,

10. banujaga

banujaga Gold IL'ite

(1)can we complete all the sight seeing in 2 days max or to be precise 1.5 days?? - 1.5 days is enough to see all the places. But I would suggest you to plan for 2 days, so that you can visit the nearby villages too.

(2)can we move up the hills(hairpin bends) during night time..is that allowed...like if we plan to stay there over the weekend and start on friday evening from bangalore...are we allowed to reach the top the same day or are there any restriction??? - There is no restriction as such. But it would be safe to reach the hills before it is dark, from the safety and security point of view (especially the monkeys).

(3)can you please help me by giving more information about this trecking..i mean is it safe/comfortable taking a toddler along for trekking...???...how long do we trek?? - I have not gone for trekking. But heard it is good and advisable to start early in the morning by 7-00 a.m. You can also visit the Lord Murugan temple there.

(4)these villages are close to/in yelagiri or we ll have to come down the hills to visit them?!! - These villages are part of the yelagiri hills, I should say. I would suggest you to hire an auto for the complete sight seeing in yelagiri. 1st day, you take an auto, he will drop you at your destination. You can take down his number and tell him that you will be staying for 1-2 days and wanted to visit the villages. I will find out the names of those villages and get back to you tom. He will only take you there.

(5) any idea how yelagiri's climate would be during jan end(last week)-feb first week?? - the climate will be cold. There will be power cuts. So, please carry a torch with you (Torch, candle and a matchstick is always there in my travel checklist :))

thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Hope I have answered all your queries. If you still need any info, let me know.