1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wuhan Shake

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Mar 8, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

WUHAN SHAKE
    " In fact word is out is that the local chinese have now adopted a foot shake-gently touching the foot of the opposite person twice and renamed it as Wuhan shake" CHIDANAND RAJGHATTA TOI MARCH 8 ,2019 It is discourteous to touch others feet with your feet according to our belief unless you are a minister and ask somebody to clean the chappal.The Indian system is touching elders feet and brush the palm over your eyes.Ammi midhithu Arundathi parthu is an integral part of indian marriages..The bridegroom takes the toe of the girl and keeps it on stone.The significance is that the girl should ever be strong like the stone and should not get disheartened by living in a joint family surrounded by MIL and SILS.Arundhati parthu signifies a chaste and inseparable life of the couple like Arundhati and Vashista."Your father touched my feet to get married to me "-Mythili used to show the photograph of Ammi Midhithu to my daughters when they were young greeted with loud claps.

satchitananda, ARIKA and Thyagarajan like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I was reading the various opinions on the living-together-before-marriage thread. And then read the following in a newspaper article about life in Wuhan, a city of about 13 million, still under severe lockdown:
    In a city of 13 million, how many poignant stories must there be? We will never hear most of them, but here is one: a young man comes home to visit his ageing parents to see in the new year. The parents have long been wishing that he would marry, but he has not been able to attract a girlfriend. Not wanting to disappoint, he hires a young lady to come home with him as his “fiancee”, sleeping in a separate bedroom. The two have agreed that after leaving Wuhan they will revert to being casual acquaintances. But the virus strikes and they are trapped in the parents’ apartment. The young woman endures – slicing tofu and making small talk with her “future mother-in-law”. Nothing can be done about that.

sandhya2020 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

A poignant story indeed..Some thing similar to this was portrayed beautifully in the film Dulhan Wahi Jo Piya Man Bhaye released some time in 1977.If I remember right the film won many awards.Talluri Rameswari gave an excellent portrayal of a flower girl pretending to be the girl friend of the hero.But what you have gathered in real life is moving.
    Regards SLN

sandhya2020 and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Last line sure to touch a chord. Eyes turn moist.

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Thyagarajan,
    Thanks.What is the connection between Wuhan and Mythili.Nothing.But she pops up just like that.
    Regards.SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear SLN Sir,

The bride cries sitting in the lap of her father asking for the man and eventually, her father buys the bridegroom that the bride asked for. Isn't it what the ritual of Kannigadhanam represent? Jokes apart, I really like the Wuhan shake of people who live in Wuhan, China. Had they not been shopping for bats, the world would have been a better place. Only in Communist China, it is possible to keep 13 million people in a locked-down position for a month.

Had they listened to the doctor who found the Coronavirus instead of forcing him to sign a letter stating that he had misdiagnosed it, China and the rest of the countries wouldn't be facing this pandemic. When it went out of proportion, the Chinese government began to take action and let the news release to the rest of the world. - Source Richard Engel's show in MSNBC on Sunday, March 8, 2020, at 10 p.m.

America is now promoting a fist shake.

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    The implications of Corona Virus are far reaching.It will take a long time for the world to rebound.For the first time in my memory I find some discipline in India.Nothing can be imposed on our people as in China. Incidentally the latest news is that a girl had a fight with a boy and to punish him she violently caughed on his face forcing him to visit hospitals for a check up.
    Regards SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
    is a platitude that is not useful for any short term come back. We are here, because of the challenges from the pathogens to weed out the weak among us... over an evolutionary time scale.
    The current virus does not affect dogs and cats -- the usual housepets. What have they got that we ain't?-- is the question that may hold the answer to some more new vaccines. And there will be more viruses coming up in the future as well. This is the outcome of the Chinese Government's achievement to lift millions out of poverty in encouraging entrepreneurs to raise wild-life for meat-sale under unregulated conditions==> See LINK

Viruses revealed to be a major driver of human evolution <==click
    Study tracking protein adaptation over millions of years yields insights relevant to fighting today's viruses
    Date: July 13, 2016
    Source: Genetics Society of America
    Summary:
    The constant battle between pathogens and their hosts has long been recognized as a key driver of evolution, but until now scientists have not had the tools to look at these patterns globally across species and genomes. In a new study, researchers apply big-data analysis to reveal the full extent of viruses' impact on the evolution of humans and other mammals.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    satchitananda likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

A well researched and thought provoking analysis.Survival of the fittest perhaps includes Corona Virus. Just as we stoop to conquer the pathogens,they are also fighting for survival.A super bug gene first detected in New Delhi[or they gave the name as New Delhi] created a scare in the world[called NDM 1].Azee 500 used to be prescribed once a day for sore throat and cough but today the dosage is being increased to twice a day.On the other hand hot milk with milagupodi and turmeric powder has been giving relief for ages.Papaya leaves decoction was found to be very good for dengue,with the result they now come in the form of tablets
    I agree with you that they should isolate the gene or chemicals in pets and use them to develop a suitable vaccine.
    Regards SLN.

satchitananda likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:That is true indeed.
    2. As a habit, my father’s elder brother & his spouse used to drink this warm cow’s milk+ turmeric powder + knocked pepper from silver tumbler every night an hour before retiring to bed. But then, he was in Kumbakonam with half a dozen cows at the back of his home.

• Dad used to tell me His brother and manni never turned patients to any doctors or hospital in their vicinity.!
    3. I also endorse views of OP’s phenomenal researched views.
    Thanks and Regards.
    GOD - do this COVID-19 would ever strike Your sanctum( in temples).