1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Writer Sujatha is no more :(

Discussion in 'Books & Authors in Regional Languages' started by vmur, Feb 28, 2008.

1. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

I just read the news that writer Sujatha, (his real name is Rangarajan) passed away at Apollo hospitals today. I was a great fan of his science fiction writings in Tamil. He was such a versatile writer and author of many books.

May his soul rest in peace.

Sujatha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Vidya

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vmur,

Just now I also saw the news in Dinamalar.
    Sujatha is a great writer. I liked his KATRATHUM PETRATHUM in
    vikatan. His soul may rest in peace.

3. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

:eek:mg: !!!!

I am deeply grieved at the passing away of The Great Writer "Sujatha"......:-(

May his soul rest in peace....

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing. He was definetly a versatile author. May his soul rest in Peace.

5. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

May his soul rest in peace

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,

The versatile writer was ill for a long period. may his soul rest in peace.

7. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

I am an ardent fan of writer Sujatha.I like his style of writing and was crazy to read all his books and articles while I was in school,college.I like his sense of humour a lot.I am very sad to hear the news of his demise.May his soul rest in peace!

8. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya,

It is very thoughtful of you to have started this thread. Sujatha had an impact on me even from my school and college days. In those days where there was no TV, magazines were a major influence on us. Sujatha's coming into the writing world marked the beginning of a great movement - writing simply and directly avoiding long-winded descriptions and lengthy dialogues. When I started to write in 1998 after I faced a few rejections, I went to his website and have read the FAQs on writing several times. They sort of moulded my writing style.

Only last year I bought two volumes of his short stories and enjoyed reading all of them for the second (or third time). His series Katrathum and Petrathum which appeared in Vikatan is a superb example of Tamil prose writing. In one of his essays he describes his one-day stay in hospital which even now is regarded as the finest specimen of Tamil prose.

What Bharatiyar did to Tamil poetry, Sujatha did to Tamil prose. Before Bharatiyar's time, we could not understand the verses. We needed "Konar Notes" to explain their meaning. With Bharathi started a movement of versifying in simple Tamil.

Similarly Sujatha started a movement of simple, elegant, direct, sharp prose writing which is not likely to be equalled or surpassed for a long time to come.

regards,

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Me too was shocked to hear the news.
    I am also a fan of Sujatha's writing..

May his soul rest in peace...
    prayers for the family to overcome this loss.

sriniketan

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    Though this was an expected news any time, the actual news was a great shock.
    I used to meet him everyday on the beach where he used to come for his evening stroll.
    One of the most unassuming & low-profile persons. But he was looking very sickly, no doubt.
    I used to admire his writing - wide range ! Srirangathu devathaikaL, computer related writing, science fiction, now azvar pasuram, besides movie dialogues.
    Living in Chennai, his absence will be felt more by missing his writing in tamil magazines.
    Love,
    Chithra.