1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Would you have the guts to do this to your child?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Gauthu

Gauthu Bronze IL'ite

I have come across people bringing these topics like "how to raise a kid compared to how they are being raised". People told they would raise a kid with basic needs and make them study in govt school till 8th standard.But never saw them doing such things really...
    Shocked to see this post...

1 person likes this.
  2. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

This being shocked at going to a government school - this is the exact thing that those US-returned parents wanted to change.

Posting pics of his fashionable-turned-oil-plaited daughter in public forums is fine, but I will truly respect those parents only if they use their wealth and experience to improve their daughter's current school, its underpaid teachers and the school district they are in now.

Only THEN, more parents may be inspired by them.

sindmani, sslkgpaa and anika987 like this.
  3. Shivali3

Shivali3 Bronze IL'ite

In India most of the good schools donot give admissions in mid term sessions, despite you are an NRI,because most of the seats are filled.Maybe, when they moved from US, it would have been mid term in schools.they might have not got the best school. And didn't wanted to waste half year of their child by just making her sit at home.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hosanna

Hosanna Bronze IL'ite

Really hats off to the kid and her parents. After few years of stay in US kids just literally argue with parents for not to go back to india because they are just used to the luxury here.

Recently I met my friend in the park whose visa is going to end in few months and her 12 year old daughter was saying to her that she cant tolerate the hot weather in india and cant go in a school van with so many kids fight to get their seats and blah blah and so not to return to India.

Nowadays top ranked schools in metro cities ask several lakhs for students education and parents are willing to pay. Among those parents & Kids, i sincerely respect the subject parents & their choice. Till date there are so many students from govt school scored high rank in district level and state level and were able to pursue their higher studies in engineering and medical without paying any fees and placed in a high reputed position in institutions and companies.

No offense to anyone. It is just my thoughts on this.

sindmani, adinil and SGBV like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Whats wrong in sending a child to a Government School?

I would be shocked, if they are sending the child to some low profiled, cheap and undceiplined private school with poor management. But generally a government school should have a strong foundation, qualified teachers and a well established panel to run the school.

In my country everyone, including the president's children study at Government schools. We have plenty of private schools for those who could not withstand the rules and regulations of the Government schools. But when it comes to recognition, it is always the certificates from the Government school tops high.

Government schools are free, and with a standard education system, that you or any rich person can't influence.

I am not sure about Indian education system. But felt shocked to hear so many comments like rich people shouldn't be going to Govt school as if it is only for the poors. Then who will change the social discrimination?

6. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

after reading all the posts I understood that many of you people think going to a government school is a curse to a child except two or three writers differed.

private schooling is just to encourage the business of the concerned authorities.
    how do u decide a school is good one or not through infrastructure, faculty, facilities,or fee.
    if we talk about infrastructure government schools will be having big class rooms with nice ventilation , big play grounds, equipped labs while private schools no ventilation in rooms, congested rooms, labs in schools they don't even have them.
    about faculty only qualified and trained teachers are appointed, in private schools even just a degree holder is ready to teach +1 and+2 students.
    I agree facilities are not so improved in governments schools as private schools.
    fee no need to compare .
    thinking like other people we too joined our kids in private school and suffering a lot a trained teachers, no facilities, lots of homework for parents not for children, if we question irresponsible answers.
    Iam happy for the child,her parents have taken right decision with out going into false prestige.

sindmani, Harini73 and SGBV like this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

And one more clarification

OP, you have mentioned that the girl in this case was posing in photos with oiled plaited hair repeatedly.

Care to know whether the students in private schools are allowed to go with lose, straightened or permed hair or with various hair styles?

And, is that mandatory to apply too much oil for Govt school students?

If her parents are reasonable, then she could have been applied a little amount of oil neatly in the sculp and plaited the hair to look more beautiful in her School uniform. Unless the uniform is too old, and the child is very unhygienic with a frizzy hair, I wouldn't see a student in uniform as poor child. JMP

sindmani, Harini73 and surekhap like this.
  8. twity

twity Bronze IL'ite

@SGBV and @Surekhap,
    Just wanted to clarify few things on how government school actualy are there.
    Not all schools have well trained teacher,no great infrastucture, not much lab facility, no benches to sit..no water and no basic toilets.
    not many teachers show interest to teach kids in government school there are very few rare onces tough..., we have places were 1 or 2 teacher handle entier 1st to 10th...
    there was a recent new 2 days back which stated head master of the government school declared holiday to school and locked inside with his girl friend who is a head mistress of other government school...that is the state here.....
    most of the governement school studdents are forced to take tution from same school teacher in the evening by paying extra fee....
    We do agree many students excel even after studying in government schools by taking extra effort and extra tution outside.
    there are places where getting a seat government school is very difficult and most want to study there but thats not case here.
    If you ask me i will not risk my DD future by sending her to such schools.

sindmani and Lathasv like this.
  9. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

first point if we want to get a job in a government school as a teacher, we have to complete B.ed with 2 years of teacher training, after that a general exam will be held and the ranked ones are only taken as teachers.
    second point class rooms and play grounds are more bigger in government schools than in private schools.
    yes I agreed that facilities are not there water and bathrooms.
    third point not the government school students mostly the private school students are those who are filling the tutions.
    one or two misshapes happence every where what about sexual harassment on the children in private schools which we are hearing in our news channels.
    so need we need not be supportive to the private schools, and need not be against government schools.
    I my self studied in a government college with 2, 500 fee per year now my nephew studying in a private college with 40,000 fee per year can not answer a basic question of the subject which she is studying asked by me.

sindmani likes this.
  10. twity

twity Bronze IL'ite

Bigger class rooms and bigger play ground does not matter.Just four wall class room how big it is or how much ventilation is doesn't matter and big vacant area called as play ground is of no use.

If the government schools have that much qualified teachers then why do we get request from outreach team to teach kids in government school or paint governement school over weekend.We do get request to identify the hidden talent in the kids in government school

How many schools have PET teacher to teach them how to play?

Not all students studying in private school are dumb.

We parents dont spend thousands to make our kids dumb.

1 person likes this.