1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

worried with under-weight daughter

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sdb, Mar 9, 2010.

1. sdb

sdb New IL'ite

I m very worried abt my 3 yr old daughter. she is underweight.
    Can any one suggest what to do?
    she is a very late eater....but she is very active. i ve visited the doc many times but it does not help.:thumbsdown
    Thanks in advance.
    sdb

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

Re: worried wid undr wt daughter

hi,
    i hope u are not forcing her to eat.if yes then stop doing so.she will end up having hate relation towards food.serve food,let her eat herself even if she eats one bite.wait for 15 min& then remove plate.serve again something different after an hour.(kids love variety)
    i hope u are not giving her more then 3 small cups of milk a day.more of milk also sometimes cause less of food intake.
    btw,does doc says she is underweight or its just the comments from relatives & friends.if so then learn to ignore or reply positively'she is very active or her body structure is that way .
    all the best
    pragati

3. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

Ragi Porridge is best for babies.

4. Vandanaa

Vandanaa New IL'ite

Hi SDB

I am in the same boat like you.My daughter is 4 yrs old and she has reached 12.5 kg now.She was 11 KG six months before.I have resigned my job now (one of the main reason is to give 100% attention to my daughter and make her a normal weight kid )She is a big fuzzy eater and i spend almost 1 hour just to feed her an egg.If i force her too much she just vomits.
    So entire one hour of feeding goes waste and the cleaning work gets added up.

She is very active and Doctor asks not to allow her waste her energy lot..But could not make her sit in a place in evening for 5 minutes.

When my energy level is low i really feel frustrated on the way she eats..But only by constant feeding after every 1 hr she has increased 1.5 Kg in last 6 months.

The snacks box sent to school will return back with all food in it..But below are few hings which i do without fail in between the timings when she is at home.

1.Make her drink Flavoured milk 2 cup before and after school(this excludes morning 1 cup of pediasure milk)
    2.1 Egg( we are Eggeterians)
    3.Lunch box with high calorie chips and biscuits
    4.Curd rice with a vegetable
    5.Try adding ghee to dosa and idli

Pls ladies let me know if there are something else i can add up on her weight gain.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

SDB, how much does your girl weigh? Everyone I know socially calls my son skinny - my parents in law only tell me he is always been skinny. But DS is near the 40th percentile for his weight. More importantly he rarely falls ill. Healthy children come in all shapes and sizes, though for us parents it is difficult when someone calls our kid skinny (I guess the implication is that we, mothers, dont feed the child well.)
    I would ignore those comments and go with what your paed says. If your paed has concerns about weight look at making her food calorie dense using olive oil, avocado, egg yolks. Like Pragati here said, pushing food will only make your child turn against food. Allow her to self-feed, set a deadline of 30 minutes. Put away the food if she cannot finish it, offer her a snack couple of hours later if there is some more time for meal. Always eat together, it helps children learn from us healthy eating habits. HTH.

6. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

SDB,
    Even I faced this problem. My daughter looks skinny when compared to children of her age. But the fact is, she is much taller than her peers and also very active.Doctor informed me to be just relaxed if she is active and not be bothered about her weight. But i requested her to give any suggestions so that I can shut other peoples mouth. So according to her suggestion I totally stopped giving chocolates, cream biscuits and other junk food. Always give food at the same time everyday. So it will be a habit. If she takes butter/cheese/ghee/curd/egg you can add that in the food.Give a fruit a everyday.and for lunch rice with lots of dhal and vegetable sidedish(non-veg also you can try.) . Dhall has lots of protein and will be ideal for growth. give a glass of milk around 3pm with rusk or with plain biscuits.similarly you can give some snacks around 5.30pm and dinner at 8pm(2 rotis with sidedish). See to it your kid doesn't eat anything one hr before taking lunch/dinner. If they nibble on biscuits/snacks then very less chance they eat lunch, dinner properly. you can prepare the dish according to the taste of your child.