1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working women & Taking care of preemie babies

Discussion in 'Infants' started by AnithaPartha, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Anitha, I do understand you dear. Really sometimes I feel we here at IL are giving you so much advice, hope it is not too over-whelming for you.

Here is the specific law for NY state.

Laws of New York

§ 206-c. Right of nursing mothers to express breast milk. An employer shall provide reasonable unpaid break time or permit an employee to use paid break time or meal time each day to allow an employee to express
    breast milk for her nursing child for up to three years following child birth. The employer shall make reasonable efforts to provide a room or other location, in close proximity to the work area, where an employee
    can express milk in privacy. No employer shall discriminate in any way against an employee who chooses to express breast milk in the work
    place.

This law is kind of wishy washy since there is no definition of what a reasonable effort is. If your employer is offering you his office-room, take it. Once you ask him to get out 3 times a day, he will be more prone to getting you a proper place to pump! Send him a meeting invite for 3 times a day for 30 mins each. If the conference room cannot be locked, you can make a sign saying knock before you enter, lactational mother inside.
    and place it prominently. or you can send out an email to your colleagues saying you just gave birth and will be using such and such room at such and such times for pumping. and put up the sign. pretty soon they will get used to it.

really for our kids' sake we have to make a lot of efforts to educate people!

Don't feel shy ... americans are way more open than us indians!

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I am in California and my HR rep told me that they are required by the state to give lactating moms a place to pump. The california law looks very similar to the NJ law so I think your employer is also obligated to provide you a place. Can you talk to someone in HR? They will be more knowledable about your rights as a lactating mom than your boss.

LABOR CODE
    SECTION 1030-1033

1030. Every employer, including the state and any politicalsubdivision, shall provide a reasonable amount of break time toaccommodate an employee desiring to express breast milk for theemployee's infant child. The break time shall, if possible, runconcurrently with any break time already provided to the employee.Break time for an employee that does not run concurrently with therest time authorized for the employee by the applicable wage order ofthe Industrial Welfare Commission shall be unpaid.1031. The employer shall make reasonable efforts to provide theemployee with the use of a room or other location, other than atoilet stall, in close proximity to the employee's work area, for theemployee to express milk in private. The room or location mayinclude the place where the employee normally works if it otherwisemeets the requirements of this section.</PRE>

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I would feel a little funny asking the manager to give up his room (who knows? Maybe he would like the break:)) - if you have empty conference rooms, close it, put a chair or a table and across the door so it cannot be opened easily and use it.

I like Pooja's idea of "Please Knock" sign or something like that.

See if it works out. If not, you can quit any day.

Does your workplace has an HR manager/officer or someone like that? I would talk to them. Sometimes managers are clueless about these things but HR folks are pretty well-informed and may help you.

4. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

YOu all ladies are trying to help me out a lot.. I really appreciate your efforts.. Am really proud to be a part of IL.. Thanks a ton !

Shyness is oneside.. Other side I still could not think about pumping in a room where is no lock.. At home actually all doors including our bath has tough locks.. One need to call other person to open doors if stuck so we are not even closing any doors for that matter.. Since my dad & mom are with us its not a problem one will not go when door is closed.. Inspite of it when my DH enters inside when am dressing or pumping I will feel an immediate shock for a min and then I will console me by scolding hus for not telling ITS ME ONLY...

In this situation at work place and that too placing sticker with warning - not sure how really that will work out.. Thinking all this things am planning to write up an email to my manager telling that I can join only in Feb so that rithi will be 2mon old and if he agress then will join and see if I can continue else will quit.. I was very peaceful till morning call with rithi.. after this am thinking thinking and going mad..

My other side problems are what if I get too tired after travelling and coming and pumping only and sleeping and waking and going to off.. Will my affection towards child will go away? Or what if I dont get time to be with him.. lots running onmy mind ladies

DH told its your choice.. decide and tell me he told..

*Adding - Manager is not a single person in his office room.. He is accomponied by other dev maager as well.. So i need to get out of 2 people at same time every day.. Also, what if my manager is very very busy when I wanted to pump out.. I dont know when my breasts will leak also.. Sometimes 3hrs once I pump sometimes 4-5hrs.. I have no idea when I will get full also..

IN company no HR and all for me ladies.. since am a contractor I depend upon only my manager.. this is corp to corp basis.. I work for a bank and mostly all are indians.. americans are not too much.. my manager is also an indian only..

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  5. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

I think conference rooms have a camera put on. Do you have rest rooms available? We do have in our office. Thought I was not pumping, I thought that could be a good option.

Right now, I feel its better to concentrate on Rithik, you can speak to your Manager and see what can be done. Throughout my life, I have looked for indicators like when I was expecting I thought how would I manage without a servant when I am joining office and with the stress had lactation problems, you won't believe within a month I see a servant a home. Clear indication, just go to office need not leave your job. Also my manager gave a go ahead for five months needed to extend for exclusive breast feeding but my proxy joined on a another project and had to join. Was still thankful that I got five months and could come to office late, what more can I ask.

I think things sprung up much faster for you than anticipated. Do not think much and get stressed, if God willing then all the things will work in your favour else you know what needs to be done next. Always think whatever it is thats the best in the current situation and be happy. Since mom and dad are with you, you can still expect the best for Rithik and may be able to join J

6. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Pooja, I am not sure if the laws you stated apply to consultants or just employees - not an employment lawyer so I am not too sure.

Anitha, these are tough questions/issues - there is no one answer that suits all. See what works for you. It is your family, your life and your child. I would say try it for a week or two, then quit if it seems too much. Right now you have the option of returning in Feb. Why kill it right now?

7. AnithaPartha

Dear Pavarun,

I have no choice to go to work in Feb.. If so I would be happy..
    Manager forcing me to join in Jan 1st or max 2nd week.. not more than that.. then they will look for an alternate I think..

Tough decision.. Parents & MIL throwing a STRONG RED SIGNAL.. When I see Rithik I dont want to leave him and go to work..

8. AnithaPartha

DEar Lee,

Oh my god.. Never thought about camera in conf rooms.. Very good point dear.. I actually decided 95% not to work becoz job is not that easy for me.. Also, personally if I work my main problem is I forget everything.. I think I will not pump also when am working.. I dont want that to happen for me I think..

Also, my parents clearly told its very difficult to look after a preemie without me or DH.. dad is asking me below ques for which I have no answer..

dad asks me,

1. what if rithik not drinking milk if dad or mom feeds him.. Today mom feeded him and he took 1hr to drink but he drinks faster if i feed him(min 20min).. Nurses adviced to feed him faster or in 30min and not more becoz preemie will lose calories >3omin seems.. sad part

2. what if baby does something unusual.. me & dh works in NY and cant come right away.. dad need to take him to hosp.. in heavy winter dad & mom are already sick always..

3. dad strongly suggests me to be with baby till he gets more normal.. i totally agreed to his point...,

9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

I told this about indicators. See you yourself figured out what's best and God knows best. Take rest do not stress and do not worry baby Rithik will be just fine.

10. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Anitha dearie,
    Such a tricky situation you had now!! Hugs to you! You need more will power now.
    My two cents though may not be able to contribute much for your solution - Stay near to Office!

1. Try to feed him completely in the morning and evening times and also night times.
    2.All your dad's concenrs are pretty valid and you make sure that you stay very near to your office, can be far for your DH's office, atleat till he bcomes normal. So that during break times, you can go and feed Rithik and comes back.
    3. Try to pump in restrooms, hope they are pretty hygenic.
    May be you can decrease the foods which can lead to over supply of milk.
    4. Premies needs somuch care, so better to stay back at home till he is some 5 or 6 months old. May be you can try for other jobs after 6 months. As market is pretty good and you have experiece aswell.....so dont think it will be difficult to landup in a quite good job.
    5. As you said, WFH is not possible, so,before joining, put some conditions to manager that you need some flexibility as you have a premie baby and assure him that, will not continue taking flexibility after he becomes normal. If he agrees okay otherwise, bid adieu to that and enjoy with Rithik. Except family, every otherthing is pretty temporary.

God bless Rithik!! Hope he will be alright soon!!