1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

working on H-4 visa - very difficult

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by Abha, Mar 7, 2007.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I shall join the league soon

I am a s/w engineer for 2 years in Chennai now and evrything goes well, I shall be getting married this June and coming there by July.
    The thot of sitting idle is haunting me now itself :)

But just to keep me occupied I am planning to carry some books along, collecting some recipes to try etc. Also I am going to carry some music CD s to re-learn and movie CDs and DVDs to watch.
    Also I believe it ll take time for me to settle, atleast that s what everyone around says.

What still threatens me is the fact is that it is 9 months before I can start anything. I have plans of higher studies as well.
    I saw what others have written above. Makes me feel lil better
    thnx

2. kaumudi17

kaumudi17 New IL'ite

HI Abha

this is the same situation with all of us here on H4 visa & i think let us stay in touch so that if anyone comes to know abt something that they can do we can help the others.

by the way i am Kaumudi & i am staying in Boston. i have done my MSc & on the verge of completing my PhD which i have taken leave from for sometime as i have come here with my husband. what abt u?

lets keep in touch that will be a support for both of us.

See u
    Kau

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  3. Vyshu

Vyshu New IL'ite

Hi

Its nice to see people like me sailing in the same boat...
    Im new to this site.... and was sooo happy to see tat im not the only one struglling out in this place.
    Its really hard for me to pass the whole day alone!!!, I tried looking for some job but my husband does not support me and says its not safe to work in h4 visa, if caught would be in gr8 trouble.
    I was not like this when i was in india, im an gradute and was working in india, came here last year some how passed time watching t.v, cooking, music, crocheting, books, drawing and now im not able to take the same old things again and again..... im really getting deppressed and want to do something usefull, I feel im wasting the precious time in life.... can some one suggest me what do i do now, pls help me its getting on my nerves!!!:cry: I guess we are planning to stay here for another 3yrs and transfering to h1 is expensive.... just for 3yrs makes no point if im right....somebody suggest something

4. Abeeb44

Abeeb44 New IL'ite

Joining the gang!

Hi PPl,eah
    Guess there are lotsa women in USA sailing in the same boat. I came to USA in sept 2006. The first 3 months were awesome. I spent my time cooking, decorating my new home, sight seeing and being the perfect house wife. Lately I ve started becoming restless....I want to do something useful.
    I did some self-introspection and asked myself what I want to do.....Am I bothered because I am not earning now.....dont have my own money like I had in Madras?? Or is it just the feeling of being idle and useless....doing nothing constructive all day long? Then I decided its the later.
    Most of us are not used to being THIS idle and we all miss our family back home. All this combined....makes it worse.
    I thought about applying for an H1B like most of my friends ....but decided against it.
    Yeah this is a golden opportunity in our lives to develop skills and learn lotsa things in life. I dont think we would ever get this period back.
    I am planning to enroll myself in a community college and learn some foreign language......Ive always had a passion for music (keyboard)....I even joined classes in madras but had to discontinue due to lack of time etc......so now I am joining keyboard classes this month.

Like sunitha says, I guess we should sit back and enjoy this slow period....instead of making ourselves unhappy and inevitably our husbands too in the process.

Guess everythings in the attitude!! :)

By the way i live in Houston, TX......is anybody from houston?

Abi

5. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Iam also sailing in the same boat of "H4visa stay at home".Doing nothing in a constructive way rather than being a housewife looking after 2.5year old naughty kid(boy) and husband.

Since my sponsorer could not submit my application for H1-B visa on time this year,i have no other option other than sitting and waiting till next april until h1-b quota opens again.Now my husband suggests me to do MS here to get the advantage of masters degree from US universities by converting my h4 visa to F1 visa,so that i will have preference for H1-b quota and also do my internship which could be an added advantage to fetch a better job and visa sponsorship.Having kid and preparing for GRE is a tedious job.I haven't decided to do MS here or not.I have done MCA in 2003 in india.Kindly anyone suggest me here what do ,whether to do MS or no?

RIGHT NOW IN MY MIND IAM THINKING OF LOT OF EXPENDITURE TO BE INCURRED IF AT ALL I HAVE TO DO MS HERE.THOUGH STUDENT LOANS,AID,ASSISTANTSHIP COULD PAY OFF SOME........

AWAITING FOR UR GOLDEN SUGGESTIONS,
    -CHEERS,
    -VAISHU.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  6. deepusree

deepusree New IL'ite

hi harika
    i am new to this site. i saw ur mail and surprised,b.coz both of us are on same track.i also got married in aug 2006,and last yr i completed my engg with good %.
    recently i got approval for h1,and what r ur hobbies . How do u spend ur time........
    and may i know where did u do ur engg.
    byeee:wave

7. shrutipalsikar

shrutipalsikar New IL'ite

Hello Abha,

Its just been 3 months that i have moved 2 California from India ..I have worked there for 7 yrs and now all of a sudden am at home doing nothing.Its so annoying is there nothing we can do about it ?

Shruti