Working Mom trying to get PMP. Motivation Needed

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Ilovemusic, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Ilovemusic

Ilovemusic Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am a working mom in India . I am trying to complete my PMP certification.
    My kid is 1.5 years old and my IL s are staying with us.

My routine starts at 6:30 AM. For the past few days I am trying to get 1 hour of study in the morning till 7:30 AM, only if my kid doesnt wake up by then . 7:30 AM go to bath and prepare lunch and breakfast . My MIL helps with veg cutting and packing etc. My husband tries to engage by son. I leave office around 9:45 AM and reach around 10:15 to 10:30 AM. Evenings I start at 6 PM and reach home around 6:45 or 7 PM. Then playing wit my kid and dinner / kitchen cleanup a little bit of time with husband while watching tv consumes my day and I sleep arounf 10 or 10:30 PM. Evenings I am generally exhausted and try to hit the bed asap.

Any suggestions on how I can try to get more time out of the day to study ?

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi ILM
    How do you commute to office? Do you go by office vehicle if so you can study a bit while commuting too.. Because to me your schedule looks good .. and the commuting time I think can be used like this...

3. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

You get lot of audio books and podcasts for PMP prep. You can listen to the same during commute or when doing any routine work.

Make max use of weekends. You can answer mock tests and evaluate where you stand.

Which book are you using?

1 person likes this.
  4. Ilovemusic

Ilovemusic Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the ideas. I go to office in 2 wheeler . So commute time is gone.. But audiobooks I will try.

I completed head first PMP book and now in pmbok aim studying risk chapter. I took a couple of mocks and got around 75 to 80 but need to prepare more.. My husband suggested reading Rita once..
    Any suggestions ?

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Here is what works for me.
    Weekends and hour blocked out during my lunch.(5 hours in a week :) ) I sit in the car or a near by coffee shop if I need to focus on something. Lunch..can be a simple affair at desk.

6. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Headfirst PMP is a good book. If you are studying this and PMBOK, that would be sufficient. Reading too many books is not advisable as per some PMP trainers.

Rita Mulcahy is a good bok from a purely exam pov. I used Rita's book and found many similar questions in my exam. My suggestion would be to study Headfirst PMP and try and answer questions from Rita's book to evaluate where you stand.

7. PYUVA

PYUVA Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILM,

I am also travelling in the same boat, I have completed my classes in october, still I ddnt start studying properly, I have completed PMBOK twice. It have been a month where i touched my books. I need some motivation to start.I also have a kid 1.5 yrs old.I have to start 7.45 Am in the morning ,and will reach 8.30 in the night.I will go by bus to office. Please give me some ideas to start.I will wake up 5.a..m, 1/2 hr cooking, 1 hr walking, then i will get ready and catch the bus by 7.45,Reach the office by 9.am

Can anyone suggest where can i get the audio books for PMP.

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Try any torrent sites.. you will get lot of PMP material including audio books.

If you have already completed PMBOK twice, you can try various mock tests and see how you score. You require to score min of 70% in the mock tests to take the exam confidently.

The exam format is set to change in July. Suggest you schedule your exam before that

9. nirmalaramesh

nirmalaramesh Junior IL'ite

Study while commuting.I do.

10. PYUVA

PYUVA Bronze IL'ite

Thanks orion&nirmala

I will book the slot in March end or April.Rocket phenomenon will work for me i think so.

Orion,

Can you please tell me the link for downloading the audio books.
    Anyone is there to write exams in April?