1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Words of Wisdom but not Mine

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Words of Wisdom but not Mine

Today I received a wonderful forward on whats app, a part of which I want to share with u all, with my views. If u like it , I will share the other parts later, otherwise this will be the end of this.Here goes.

21 Rules For Your Golden Years

Some of us have reached our golden years, and some of us have not. But these suggestions should be read by everyone. They have been collected from many a senior, each with his or her own piece of advice. Some you know, some may surprise you, and some will remind you of what's important. So read well, share with your loved ones, and have a great day and a great life!

1. It's time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it. Don't just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it. Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law with big ideas for your hard earned capital. Warning: This is also a bad time for an investment, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries and this is a time for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.

My Views - Many parents are very attached to their married children. They want the married sons to stay with them, and some even transfer the title of the homes to their children, only to be mistreated later on. The homes these days, are worth crores, in any city of india. Yes , some places I have seen, the children waitng for the oldies to die, so that a room is vacant, which can be converted into a nice bedroom fo themselves or guests. So enjoy yr hard earned money, how many more years will u live. The children are strong enough to earn and fend for themselves. Leave them alone.

4. Always buy the best, most beautiful items for your significant other. The key goal is to enjoy your money with your partner. One day one of you will miss the other, and the money will not provide any comfort then, enjoy it together.

Yes, one of the partner has to die first, is it not ? So why not buy him or her the best that they desire ? That can be a phone or a Car, or a piece of Jewellery ! The spouse has seen the hard days, been with u in all times, they deserve the things they desire, when u have the money. Splurge it on her, who knows for how long more will the two of u be together ? And the sad part is u will never meet again, forget what the shastras say, but thatis a fact. A nd even if u do meet, will u remember the past birth when u two were together ? All crap, so now , give the other what they desire, and see the smile, and the happiness, sheer bliss eh !

9. ALWAYS stay up-to-date. Read newspapers, watch the news. Go online and read what people are saying. Make sure you have an active email account and try to use some of those social networks. You'll be surprised which old friends you'll meet. Keeping in touch with what is going on and with the people you know is important at any age.

Well I do follow most of the above, I read 4 newspapers every day, I play scrabble on facebook, I play some 40 games with different partners, and many have become good friends. Friends I have met many , but now the priorities have changed of theirs, they are all of their family, wife , children and business, not of our school days, and those memories. So I just say a polite hello and move on.But I do keep busy.

11. Never use the phrase: "In my time". Your time is now. As long as you're alive, you are part of this time. You may have been younger, but you are still you now, having fun and enjoying life.

Well I am as young as I was decades back , that I sin my mind. The body , well , it shows more than its age, but then since I don’t want to flirt, there is no incentive to keep it like an actors eh ! Yes I am still young, and yes, young and old vie for my company. I am having fun, and lots of it.

I loved this forward, and there are many more points, but it becomes a long one, so have chosen a few. This showed me, that there are quite a few people out there, who think, being a senior citizen is not a drawback, but a bonus.

Thanks to the one who wrote this forward, u confirmed my belief that I am not old mentally, and that I can enjoy my life, and that I should keep my wife more happy, god knows how long we both will be together, why not make the most of whatever little time we have left together.

Have A great weekend friends.

KAMAL MAHTANI

8 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Goodone Kamal Bro, I like to enjoy life, before my son's marriage only we bought a house for him , half of the money I gave from my VRS and the balance he took a loan , after marriage he bought a bigger house selling that house , so that when he gets married he can be independent, enjoy life with his wife and wouldknow the responsibility of running a house. So after retirement we are enjoying life and though I am old I am always young at heart. I also have on line friends, many friends in IL too, I have met many of them too.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji Sis,

Good to know , that u are like me in many wys, we enjoy life, and we both have many friends , real life and online ones.

May u be happy as always.

Regards

kamal

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Yes, practical wisdom.
    I play a lot of scrabble.
    Syamala

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sy,

then come play with me scrabble at Facebook.Dont worry i lose most of the games.HAHA

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamlaji,

Like I quoted in Satchi's post I was flipping through Sudha Murthy's Wise and otherwise and came upon a story of an old man. I was reminded of it in your "always save for your golden years" - Briefly she says that this young guys brings an old man with just one bag to her with the story that he seems to have memory lapse and was sitting in the bus stop. So she helps him get into an old age home. He lives there for a year or two and passes on. The old man has a some one lakh in savings and makes sure with the staff that it reaches his son on his passing on .That is when she goes to help the old age home look up his bag for any information and contacts the person mentioned there. Guess what yes, the guy who showed up happens to be the same man who had put him the old age home and he indeed was his son. Sudha Murthy ends up lamenting how nice it would have been if the old man had realized and left that money to the old age home before passing on. True no?

As for "In my times" phrase, recently I learnt that even Socrates used it - I assumed I was told either to make clear I belonged to that age or that to drive home the point that all older people use this, even if older by only 10 years. I have promised myself not to use it and make a note of that every one is forming memories no matter what. I think we should appreciate that and simple be. What say?

4 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

Thank you you for sharing those wisdom bites with us. I agree that the parents may have to create their own retirement nest instead of depending on children. However, I am planning to transfer wealth in stages during my lifetime at various milestones such as wedding, first child, college funds, etc. That doesn't mean I will give away everything to the level that my wife and I couldn't sustain on our own.

My wife is very careful in spending and she doesn't have desires that are unaffordable. She has already declared that whatever jewels she buys from now on is for the DIL to be. Even she made my son save $5,000 to buy a gold bar so that he can gift it to her to make jeweled of her own choice. I have no major expenditure in that category.

Regaring quoting my days, I never say anything of that sort to anyone. In fact, I continue to work to keep my mind alert and up to date. I interact with a lot people who are much younger and learn their way of life all the time. In the new generation, no one has time for sermons but they are willing to listen to someone who understands their lifestyle. But there is one thing I keep telling younger generation and that is to tell them that they need to simplify their lives. I tell them when they attempt to simplify their life, they will understand how difficult it is, but they should never give up as it would help them to be happy. I feel that is the reason why the earlier generations were very happy.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Kamalji,
    Thanks for sharing the Practical wisdom for golden years.
    Mostly nowadays senior citizens do not depend on their children. Yet there might be some who are dependent on their children due to various reasons. It is very sad if they are not looked after.

We are blessed to lead a happy and contented life at our golden years. We have the freedom to do what we like. Our children also do not lag behind and they try to make our life comfortable on their own without us asking for anything.

PS

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita,

Yes, what an incident of sudha Murthy. Sad that t he old man did not spend on himself but on his son who did not care for him. Well, he created suffering for himself, we have so much attachment to our children, we will take all the **** from them, but not give a penny to someone else.

Well inmy time is common, but it does not work these days on kids. in our time , for example we did nto have the gadjets they have, so our distractions and hobbies were different from theirs, how can we explain to them what they are missing, so better leave it.their children will teach them.HAHA

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

u and wife have planned out well. Anyway after us, all goes to the kids, just that till we aer alive, we must not depend on our children, if we can help it.

Yes they myust simplify their life for sure.Well said.

Regards

kamal