1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wonders Of Bureaucracy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Feb 11, 2024.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Finest Post Winner

The wonders of bureaucracy

From Sapiens-A brief history of mankind by Yuval Noah Harari

(Presently reading)

A writing exercise from a school in ancient Mesopotamia discovered by modern archaeologists gives us a glimpse into the lives of these students, some 4,000 years ago:

I went in and sat down, and my teacher read my tablet. He said, ‘There’s something missing!’ And he caned me.
    One of the people in charge said, ‘Why did you open your mouth without my permission?’ And he caned me.

The one in charge of rules said, ‘Why did you get up without my permission?’ And he caned me.

The gatekeeper said, ‘Why are you going out without my permission?’ And he caned me. The keeper of the beer jug said, ‘Why did you get some without my permission?’
    And he caned me.
    The Sumerian teacher said, ‘Why did you speak Akkadian?’*

And he caned me.
    My teacher said, ‘Your handwriting is no good!’ And he caned me.4

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

So cane and rule of law are inseparable and exists from time immemorial. In other words cane was grown during 2000 BC and thete was huge demand. Its production and use were well regulated much before bible came into existence.
    Till the envelope passed under the table or palm is greased or speed money arranged whether it is autocracy or democracy rules will be applied or not applied to favour or disfavour. Rules are made to be bent and interpreted in various ways to suit one's purpose .
    A boy was suffering with weak kidney. He stood up raising his index finger seeking permission of the master . The boy was called infront of class and the master wanted to whack his stretched palm. With full force master brought the cane to land in boy's palm. But at the ladt moment the boy lowered his palm deep down and also whetted the floor. But master got his shoulder sprained and the entire class burst into laughter. That is how I remember cane always.

HariLakhera likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Finest Post Winner

Very true. Now laws have replaced the cane and in some cases the bulldozers. The system remains the same in the hierarchy- the ruler, the commoner, and the slaves.

Thyagarajan likes this.