1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wish I had Jeeves in my life!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vidchakra, Jul 12, 2012.

1. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

I lost my heart and soul to Jeeves the same day I laid my hands on a Wooster novel for the first time. You call him a “valet” or a“butler”. For me, he was and of course he IS still Mr.Perfect. I developed a huge crush for him. And I still have a soft corner for him in my heart. (My husband would be jealous if he knows this secret.):wink:

He has an invisible magic wand to drive away a hurricane of problems and troubles. How would I not want someone like that in my life! I can relax and watch all the problems running away from me.:thumbsup

A master of words, so powerful with language! He is assuredly serviceable when I am at loss of words. I need him most! I can get rid of the dictionaries. I don’t even need google or wiki. Is google even a match for him? Hmm ok… I know I am getting carried away!:biggrin2:

What to say about his marvellous concoctions! (ok ok.. only the non-alcoholic ones for me) His concoctions are known to cure anything and everything. The very idea of having piping hot coffee and tea:coffee served by the capable hands of Jeeves gives me “dashed” happiness. :-D

Ah... Jeeves and his palatable breakfast! Oh! So joyous to share the kitchen with Jeeves! I can imagine cooking with Jeeves, teaching him vegetarian Indian dishes. Or does he even need to be trained?:hide: He is the all-knowing!

His jovial company would never let me dip into sorrow. He is sure to bring a smile whenever he raises his eyebrow or twitches his mouth by few centimetres (or is it few millimetres). Jeeves, the most endearing and ever entertaining bloke!:bowdown

Bertie the lucky chap, I am so jealous of you. Jeeves, you are for sure everyone’s envy and owner’s pride. Wish I could put my hands into the book and snatch Jeeves from Bertie.:exactly:

Jeeves is great! And more than zillion thanks to PG Woodhouse for creating him!
    :thankyou2:

So all Jeeves' fans out there, what do you say?

8 people like this.

2. dk2011

dk2011 Senior IL'ite

PG WoodHouse all the way !!!! :) Thanks to my friend who introduced me to him, every love story has a common friend involved :) Well, then that said, there's no looking back... The town was painted red, pink, green, yellow, saffron, am not quite sure though :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear vidchakra
    I cannot dispute the fact that Reginald Jeeves is a sagacious and well informed man. I grant too that in the matter of busting the worst crises, he is unequaled. And so on and so forth. But tell me honestly if these are reasons enough to go gaga over a man? Just look at his other side.

He is very snobbish. If you are employed as a valet or butler in any household, you introduce yourself as such. There is nothing demeaning about it but what does Reggie Jeeves do? He introduces himself as a 'gentleman's personal gentleman'! The first part is ok. Bertie, his master, is certainly a gentleman but only a snob will introduce himself as a gentleman. It is like my introducing myself as Mr.Cheeniya.

He is very opinionated and considers many of his Master's activities and utterances as below par. He is a member of a London butlers' club called Junior Ganymede Club where it is the practice for butlers to record their masters' exploits and Jeeves proves himself as just one of them by recording Bertie's exploits and travails in great detail. Is not a Master-Butler relationship too sacred a bond to allow such permissiveness?

He is a humourless chap and incapable of even emoting adequately at others' good and bad fortunes. It is often recorded that his optimum facial reaction is just the lifting of his eyebrow by a fraction of an inch! He is never shown as laughing but that part I can understand as there is perhaps an unwritten law prohibiting butlers from laughing.

He has a definite inclination towards exhibitionism. Otherwise how can anyone explain his mentioning names of the Spanish Philosopher Spinoza and quoting passages from the bard to someone like Bertie to whom all these are totally alien subjects merely because his boss Bertie is too largehearted to snub him. If I had displayed any such superiority over my boss in State Bank, he would have transferred me to Timbuktu as a punishment!

It is not my intention to belittle his many life saving acts but what irks me is his lack of humility! Thank you for giving me an opportunity to get it off my chest. I feel much relieved now!
    Sri

6 people like this.
  4. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

I completely agree! not to mention his witty and smart remarks. And his sense of dignity.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hey Vid,

a very interesting topic after a looooong time so kudos to you :thumbsup

I am a great fan of Jeeves :)bowdown to PGW) too so take this absolutely in a lighter vein but am totally with cheeniya sir on this.

he is emotionless
    you just cannot wear the colours of your choice
    leave alone wear the salwaar suit that you may pick up
    He will even expect to have a say in how you wear your hair.
    He will try to keep you away from relationships

HA!!! I would be totally stifled If I had a jeeves in my life ...not to say intimidated.:):cheers

2 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vid,

I am sorry for coming in so late and request you to humour me by allowing me some more delay. But this i is something that intrigued me.

Dear Cheeniya sir,

7. vidchakra

Thanks dk for dropping by! Nice to know you are a fan of woodhouse too :)

1 person likes this.
  8. vidchakra

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    I know you are a great fan of woodhouse and so knew the possibility of you visiting this thread :)
    Thank you!

There are two things -
    I was introduced to Woodhouse and hence Jeeves very late in my life, just few years back. So I am sure you have more knowledge than me.
    The second point is the first novel I read about him (though I don't remember what was it now!) made a lasting impression. His personality somehow attracted me a lot.
    Thanks for the wonderful FB:clap

9. vidchakra

Thanks crazywriter! Glad to know you like him too :)

1 person likes this.
  10. vidchakra

Thanks Mindi for dropping by!
    You got the essence right.. it is written a lighter vein and nothing to be taken seriously..

Now.. did you have to say all these traits of my Jeeves! Just kidding.. ;-)
    Don't you think Bertie does dress up funny sometimes.. And he needs some guidance from Jeeves... I know I am biased about Jeeves:hide: