Will

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Tulasi, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hey friends,
    Today morning when I was taking with my senior citizen friend in the gym. She asked me did you make a will? I said no..Iam too young to do that. Then she said it doesn’t matter if something wore to happen to you and your husband then what about the kids? I started thinking. Did any of you have any ideas? Please throw some light on this

Thanks
    Tulasi

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Tulasi - that is a great topic that you have brought up. I think even as young parents, everyone needs to have a will - the reason being if something happens to both parents, who will take care of the kids? Here in the US, when they are minors and if something should happen to both parents, I believe the kids become a "ward of the state". You do not want that to happen - by way of a will you can appoint someone you trust to take over. If the rest of your family lives in India, this is a good idea. We were guardians for my husband's cousin's kids till they turned 18 at which point they are legal adults. As much as my husband & I talked about it, we never got around to doing it!! Stupid, huh! My daughter is almost 18 - so I am not too worried about it now. But I would definitely look into it. There a umpteem other reasons why we need a will - but as far as the kids are concerned, this is definitely important.

If there are other women who have done this, please post your experiences here so that we can all learn from this.

Shobana

3. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Shobana,
    Looks like this is something serious matter..I will also talk with some of my other friends.
    Thanks for your reply

Tulasi

4. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Tulasi,
    My sister and her husband are also insisting me to do the will. They have done it. I am also thinking about doing one soon.

5. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Sindhuja,
    good to know that. My friend strongly recommended me to do one..
    Tulasi

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007