Wifi for Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by swasa, Jan 22, 2011.

1. swasa

swasa Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I want to send ipod touch with facetime to a friend in India. But I doubt if it will be of any use for internet purposes as it is very slow in India. If not, it will be as good as ipod nano. I'm already using ipod touch here in US.

My friend as well I am a layman in these techy stuff so please somebody advice on how to go about it regarding subscribing for wifi etc. I heard that for wifi, one needs a simcard in India but I dont find any slot for sim in ipod touch.

So is it worth sending ipod touch to my friend? Please input your opinions and information regarding this, especially those who are using ipod touch in India.

2. kavithc

kavithc New IL'ite

Hi,

I am from India and a constant user of Ipod touch.

there is no requirement of sim card for ipod touch to get a Wi-fi connection. All you need is a broadband connection. there are several service providers giving broadband connection with wi-fi modem. You can opt one of them (Airtel, BSNL etc):thumbsup

3. swasa

swasa Senior IL'ite

Thanks alot, Kavitha... Which service has good speed in major cities and smaller cities? As my friend travels alot for work, I want to know if it works everywhere including rural ares.

4. kavithc

kavithc New IL'ite

BSNL broadband is available in many places. Speed is kind of ok..Airtel broadband has good speed though it is expensive and these are difficult to get a connection in Chennai. These are fixed lines+wi-fi.

I am not very sure of portable datacard+wifi in India. will check about that will get back to you, if i get any response.

5. swasa

swasa Senior IL'ite

Thanks alot, Kavitha! Yes, whomever I talked to had fixedlines+wifi only. That's why this post.

6. smackmack

smackmack New IL'ite

Using Wi-Fi to use the iPod Touch in the App Store and iTunes store, browsing the Internet, Safari browser, e-mail e-mail and watch videos on YouTube. Many Wi-Fi network free to use, but there are some additional costs. If you want to join the Wi-Fi hotspots, including the cost of collection in most cases, you can open Safari, to see a page that allows you to register.