Why The Agnipariksha?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by beautifullife30, Aug 17, 2016.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Did the Lord not think about the women who would be thrown out of their houses using his reference in future . How many women would have to go through the real and symbolic Agniparisha in future using his reference .
    Was he the King only for the men and not the women.Lord Rama was no ordinary mortal. He was expected to be above these human failings. He was expected to do justice .What is Dharma without justice?
    .............................................................................................
    OP...I am a bit surprised by this thread...because even though these two events are a part of our religious teachings,I have never found any one trying to put a positive twist to it .People may try to turn a blind eye .....but never tried brushing it over .

I remember my mom telling the story of Ramayana and Mahabharata to us at sleep time.She never tried to give excuses...she said Bhagwan Rama was wrong and that is how people were that time.(not that they are any better now)

As for Mahhabharata ....when we asked why they bet their wife....she said something like"Maatha kharab ho gaya hoga"(They must have lost their mind).There was no attempt to hide the shame that they as husbands should have felt.

There is no way we should forget that our great warriors also had a bit of dark in them and our most revered Lord also was not on the side of Maryada at least once. Accepting these faults and accepting our culture with these faults will make us a better and stronger culture. Just praising it all the time won't help because the same God gave us a brain to think .No matter how much we are told to overlook,not question ,just follow...the brain God gave us will ask questions.

This is my last post on this thread because I don't feel the thread is asking for introspection and I may end up upsetting people .

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    sindmani, Viswamitra, kaniths and 2 others like this.
  2. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

The entire point of agnipariksha was because sita was forced to spend sometime at Lanka at Ravana's house.

Sita's agnipariksha as I keep repeating was not something that Rama wanted her to do. Sita asked for this test.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  3. beautifullife30

Please read my posts before rushing off to defend your stand.

I am NOT defending Rama's actions. Nor am I supporting dice game.

I am just telling that society worked differently then than now!

Stop twisting my posts and say that I am defending something wrong. Those people acted that way to teach us something.

There is no point in demeaning the entire epics just coz of two incidents!!

If you can check my initial post, I clearly mention that people seem to remember negatives more than the positives of what epic has to teach!

vaidehi71 likes this.
  4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

I travel on official duty away from home. Wife is at home along with my mom and our kids.

On return if there is a doubt on ones character, should I or her walk on fire???

Just an example - if there is no mutual trust, what's the point in glorifying rama and demeaning sita?

He has erred, lesson learnt, that's the whole point.

Just my opinion.

Viswamitra and yellowmango like this.
  5. beautifullife30

Why can't people just look beyond that error and look at the great king that he was. Why can't people think of all the good practices that Rama set out for us?

Rama lived the life as a mortal. As a human being it is not possible to do justice to everybody in your life. Rama did justice to his parents, brothers, kingdom but not to his queen.

That is wrong, sad. But condemning the entire epic on this just one fact is wrong.

My point is look beyond that. Learn from his goodness. Imbibe his great qualities and do not make the mistakes he made!

vaidehi71 and SeekingMind like this.
  6. yellowmango

You are trying to justify one and put a positive twist on the other.
    Did Sita out of the blue decide that she should go through the Agnipariksha?
    She was forced to do it because her husband did not stand by her against the accusers.It was not a happy Sita...it was a hurt Sita who entered the Agni.

As for saying that the Disrobing of Draupadi lead to the war...you make t look like the Mahabharata was fought to avenge the wrong done to Draupadi,'a woman'. That is like saying it was not so bad because her 'honor' meant so much in those good days'.If it was the case,then those men would not have allowed her to be bet or disrobed in the first place. Other than Lord Krishna...no one cared for Draupadi,the woman.

7. beautifullife30

Well to me,
    Draupathi was led to be in that state due to her husband's love dice and inability to protect his wife.

A woman was wronged there. So there starts the downfall.

The religion or culture which demeans a woman is never a good one. My point is just that.

Learn that you should be well enough to take care of your wife
    Learn to not play dice games betting on woman
    Learn to protect who matter the most to you!

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

taking the good accepted.

do clarify why sita was sent in exile while pregnant? if already she had passed the chastity test.

sindmani, Viswamitra and jskls like this.
  9. yellowmango

Who is condemning the entire epic?
    And why not discuss the errors along with the goods?
    No body disputes his being the good son and brother....but why try to ignore the injustice done to his pregnant wife? How do people learn not to make the same mistakes if we don't accept them as mistakes and errors?

sindmani, guesshoo and Viswamitra like this.
  10. yellowmango

Those are lessons we can learn from it ...but to say it lead to the downfall is wrong.
    If Kauravas had just handed over the Kingdom ,then there would be no war and no downfall and Draupadi and her humiliation would be just forgotten.

Viswamitra likes this.