Why Should We Not Rejoice At The Downfall Of Our Enemies

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by SuiDhaaga, Apr 2, 2022.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

This week I heard that Christian Bible says one should not rejoice if their enemies are killed in battle.

Why is that?

There must be a similar teaching in Hinduism.

It is because we all suffer due to our karmas, whether from current life, or previous life and we may be the next to suffer downfall due to past karmas.

Kindly enlighten

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:When Osama bin laden was dead Ex Prez Barrack Obama quoted something about not to rejoice at the killing of enemy ( or is it love thy enemies) irrespective of religion.

2. When Indian Prime minister late Lal Bahadur Shastri expired on 11 th Jan 1955 in Erstwhile USSR, the first man to reach his body was from then undivided Pakistan - President Ayub Khan - follower of Islam religion. Is it tantamount to love thy enemy. He used to make fun of Shashtri. But then he also reported to have made a statement that Shares sthriji was one man who could have brought the two nations - Pakistan & India together.
    3. When Shanthiji’s coffin was being airlifted, it was Ayub & soviet Prime Minister Kosygin shouldered it.

upload_2022-4-3_14-15-26.jpeg
    Alexei Kosygin Former Premier of the erstwhile Soviet Union overseeing military honour to late Shastri.

Irrespective of religion, for any person, it would remain a difficult proposition to nip the vendetta attitude of the mind. It is always tit for tat whatever may be the scriptures or axioms demand by world religions.

Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Did the Bible mean enemies in an actual war? Or someone who is perceived as an enemy? If it is the latter, then it can be explained. I don't see why not in the former case.

Rihana, SuiDhaaga and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. SuiDhaaga

I believe the person said Bible was talking about war.

Or maybe person was talking about the current war and says not to rejoice at a Russian troops being killed.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

Lot of great info

You should be a historian!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. sarvantaryamini

True, one only needs a good heart, not religion, to feel sadness at someone's death, even if it's an ace enemy. That's how normal people are. Even if the person who passed away caused great distress when they were living, it feels sad when they pass away because death is a one way road. I don't agree with the "Love Thy Enemy" philosophy but I believe the dead person must have done way too sinister, if people don't shed a tear at his/her death.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Such questions can be viewed as a big high level humanity question or a small one at an individual person level.

It also matters if we are talking about the enemy suffers a downfall or meets death itself.

Enemy meets death:
    Any human's death is a solemn moment of reflection on our mortality and related stuff. If a rapist & murderer is put to death, the victim's family and their supporters celebrates outside while the murderer's family hold a silent vigil nearby... is such celebration right or wrong, how right or how wrong? I find it easier to be moderate in response when those involved are strangers. Acknowledge the deaths, the impacts on the victim's and murderer's families, and hope for peace and closure.

If the person who dies was one a near/dear, and caused serious suffering to you, it can be hard to avoid unkind thoughts at their passing away or if they were sick for a long time before dying. In such case, the easier way through this is to acknowledge the unkind thought and let it go by. Totally avoiding such thoughts is difficult for the average human. So, let those thoughts flit away like clouds.

Enemy meets suffering or downfall:
    Enemy here is a person who has hurt you or caused you significant irreversible suffering. Rejoicing at the downfall of our enemies is not of much use or sustained satisfaction. One can cobble up some form of forgive/forget and move on from the suffering but suddenly hear about a downfall suffered by the enemy. Should one rejoice? Is it wrong, right?

Such pondering always takes me back to a conversation from long ago. A friend's guy-friend dumped her with "I cannot go against my family after all." She was a gentle soul, one of those inclusive, compassionate kinds. One thing she said was, "I don't wish him ill, I don't him well either." That nuance and balance in her anguish has stayed with me ever since. And a song by Kishore Kumar from the movie Anamika poignantly picturized on Sanjeev Kumar: meri bheegi bheegi si palkon pe. The lovelorn hero is very specific in the song about the pain he wishes on his bewafa unfaithful love. He simply hopes she experiences whatever hurt and pain he has suffered.

Rejoicing at anyone's downfall will eventually reduce you in your own eyes. Better to temper these transactions down to an acknowledgement level. If you find yourself wishing someone ill -- you wish your business partner suffers cheating like they cheated you -- wish that and move on. Don't spend time and energy engineering or ensuring the enemy's suffering or downfall. If you hear of an enemy's downfall, momentarily reflect on "was it karma?", acknowledge any thoughts/feelings you experience, don't label them, don't give them an identity, let them flit away. Let those be the water and you sit by the stream watch it flow away.

Total purity of mind, thought, heart, words and action is an ideal goal and eternal pursuit. Life is what happens in the meanwhile. It's like walking through a dirty street avoiding dirt as much as one can, and washing away the rest on reaching home.

My 11 am got cancelled, so I wrote the above. That is my reason and excuse. What is yours for reading it?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Laks09, SuiDhaaga and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I was reminded of veteran Raj Kumar - yesteryear’s hero in soldier uniform to another dying soldier on his lap “ Mai thumara beevi Ka pehala pathi tha “. The picture name is Osnay kahatha.
    Thanks and Regards.

SuiDhaaga and Rihana like this.
  9. SuiDhaaga

it’s a quiet Friday, hence I read this

Your post has lot of thought.

If someone was actively causing me harm, and some harm or death came to them, I would find relief.

Relief that the person will no longer trouble me

Naturally when person is hurt, ie rape victim, she (usually she) will wish for justice, ie a life for a life.

of course others who never faced such trauma will ask the rape victim what good will it do her to wish harm on her rapist.

And that getting angry is holding into hot coal and expecting the other person to get burned

Rihana likes this.
  10. sarvantaryamini

I don't believe a rape victim should forgive. If not sentenced to death, at least the culprit should be in prison. There is no excuse for rape or any crime. Should the rape victim cry at a rapist's death? No.
    Should he/she rejoice? Depends on the situation.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    SuiDhaaga likes this.