Why Remove The Thali / Mangal sutra While Going To Work?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sunkan, May 19, 2008.

1. mui kanva

mui kanva Senior IL'ite

Dear all
    This is a very interesting and sensitive topic..

Wearing or not wearing a thali/Bindhi/Sindhur/Metti.. all these are all just material factors.. What matters is if you are doing your duty as a wife,mother,DIL,SIL or any relationship you get after you were given the authority to wear thali.. Wearing a thali and disrespecting your husband and things like that are not right..

I do respect our culture and tradition.I wear one though I used to change from gold to karugamani and the other way as and when needed. Karugamani makes me look old but still I wear it since its light weighted. But I dont think that anyone would just be able to follow it always...say for eg, onion and garlic are considered as non-veg.. tell me how many brahmins here dont eat onion and garlic.. they have got their own medical values, and people at the end of the day, have it..
    Madi, aacharam, pathu.. how many still follow all this?
    Should not have outside food.. The aavin milk you get is also from outside..

Like JustAni has mentioned,Does wearing a thali really protect ladies from dirty minded men?? I dont think so..

So what I feel is respecting and bound to follow are two different aspects and one is free to choose what they want to do, how they want to do.. but the ultimate end is that they should do their duty..

2. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

This is one of the most interesting threads I have come across in IL.I agree with JustAni and tikka

I personally feel that it is up to the individual to decide this and she may have several reasons for not wearing it at all.Nothing is permanent except change and we have always accepted changes in the way we live, dress up, socialize and think.Few years back women were not allowed to sport modern wear and it was considered outrageous in the society but now I hardly see anyone wearing Indian wear in colleges of the metropolitan cities coz it is accepted in the society now.If a woman is not wearing a thali it does not make her a bad wife.I never ask or bother to check if my friends are following the Indian traditions or not coz I understand that things are changing and we can't be dual minded about it.Today women are provided with opportunities galore and travel, work , take care of themselves and somewhere in between all this the way Indian traditions have been looked upon by women has been changing.So I am not surprised by the fact that women at work prefer to have their sense of dressing.

I also see a lot of Indian women wearing ring now to send out signal that they are married.Well what better way to tell someone you are married in the way they understand best.I don't see anything wrong with this either.In Rome be like a Roman ..if you think that wedding ring is best understood in the country where you are residing then go for it.

-Sabitha

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  3. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Well said Sabitha! :cheers
    Glad to know that there are people who think like me.

Adara :thumbsup

4. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

well said dear adara, sabitha, tikka, ani, and a lot of u whose names i may hv left out!
    See, we r all in a so called 'civilised' world where everyone should be allowed to do and say as he / she wants provided it doesnt affect the others! shouldnt an individual have a say in her dress code or what jewellery she wears? as one of u said rightly a thali /metti /w.ring/sindur doesnt prevent a male's roving eyes & mind in fact some males take it as a challenge to see if the married woman notices him inspite of her marital status?!!!
    so where is the protection of the thali/metti/ring/sindur???
    so why dont people just look at their own selves and not look to see if the other woman is wearing her symbols or not!
    see, now all of us get married only when we are responsible adults, so when we accept that we are mature enough to get married lets also accept we are mature enough to choose whether to wear the symbols of marriage or not!!?
    so, where is the written rule that a woman has to wear symbol of marriage? instead of trying to make women wear symbols why dont we try and stop the roving eyes and minds of a lot of males???
    and why do women pay more attention to their position in the society which is supposed to be attached to their marital status? do males introduce themselves as mr so & so husband of madam so & so?
    people think they wl get respect in the society only if they are mrs so & so, whereas the respect should be given for their contribution to the society and their family!!!
    :cheers
    su.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  5. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

:hatsoff
    THERE U GO, SU!!!!!!

:thumbsup
    Adara

6. snooty

snooty New IL'ite

The younger generation has different views and ideas on every subject .Wearing a Thali is sacred according to our elders . but in the olden days Thali was not a ritual in marriages . Thali does not signify love or devotion to the husband just reminds one of it thats all

7. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    I do agree its individual's choice . But if something has some good in it..I would love to follow and i guess so many ladies here too love to follow:)

Everything in our culture has significance ...its related to some scientific reason. Our ancestors did not formulate them aise hi ....of course some were made up up of socio-economic factors of that time. But some have real significance. Similarly wearing thali...putting bindi... etc etc has its own significance . I heard the toe ring has nerve connected to uterus. So ladies need to wear it for healthy uterus. (It may be wrong too...)

Foot Massage For Over Pronation and Edema | Natural Health Tips and Ayurvedic Medicine

herbscancure.com

It's Not Just About Your Uterus and Ovaries -- Blogger -- FertilityAuthority.com

fertilityauthority.com

Ever wondered how our great grannies and grannies gave birth t 9-10 children even and we feel difficult to give birth more than 2-3 kids ??

Dear mui kanva

I am not at all confronting you. Please don't get me wrong that i quoted your points:) . I found some points in your post so picked them just to explain. My post is not reply to your post..just general view :)

There is reason behind everything. Our ancient culture was absed upon many scientific facts which we are ignorant even today.
    here is a link for that. Onion and garlic promote passion and ignorance it seems. So brahmins used to avoid it as they were said to be sathvik people.

Why no Onions and Garlic?

Madi is nothing but cooking food wearing hygienic dress. People wear washed saree and do cooking. Isn't it hygienic ?? :) And yeah during periods women are kept aside. Those days woman used to do lot of work. So women were given rest during those days. Now socio-economic cultural factors don't allow it so we are coming to offices.

I believe every thing in Hindu religion has a significance. Mostly scientific. They are not blindly followed superstitions. But yeah its such an old religion ...so it had undergone thousands of transformations and became what it is right now !!! Practices like sati,un-touchability, child marriage,tradition of shaving off widow's head or any bad things or any other superstitious beliefs etc etc were not written in vedas. Humans created them and named it Hindu culture. Hindu culture in its purest form has lot of science involved in it. If possible lets learn real meaning of wearing what all we are asked to wear to by elders.

Again it might /might not be real reason to wear thali.(i.e protecting from evil eyes. Something else must be the reason. This mgiht be the reason too

Srivaishnavam Hindu Womens' Jewellery Ornaments Significance

trsiyengar.com

I am not saying we should follow all etc etc .....but when there is some tradition..instead of criticizing/or saying its wrong..or saying when men don't wear it why should we wear we better know the reasons why so called custom has originated. I guess Man's body and woman's body are totally different in some functions. Women are sensitive and they need extra protection. So I think it would be better if we know the real reason behind all those. And yeah sometimes it may turn out very good medical reason too
    [/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  8. sudhara

sudhara New IL'ite

Hi vimal Iyer and sunkan,
    Read your thread. I personally feel, the young generation need explanation for everything. They don't refuse to follow th eculture or a tradition as laid out by our elders. but all they need to know is a valid reason. I have a friend who never used to wear "Metti' the so=called sacred ring around her toes. And there is antoher friend who wears the Mangalyam and sindhur only when she goes to her in-law's house. Seeing all these I wanted to enlighten them with scientific reasons as to why we are made to wear all these things. on the first place, why we wear metti only a particular toe and not on the others (but, i see many wearing it on all toes, that;s different) The small toe next to the big one has nerves that connects our heart. And the silver ring (metti) what we wear on this toe also has a connection to the nerves of the heart. Since silver has the tendency to absorb heat it is worn on the toe, the nerves of which connect our heart thereby purifying our blood, easing the tensions and allowing the BP level stay at normal degrees. This is thereason why we wear metti especially in silver on this toe. Similar equation applies to silver anklets too.
    Next, let us focus on the mangalyam in gold. Gold has many good tendencies that is good for our body and soul. The gold components in any ornament when worn continuously is tend to get absorbed in the body as days roll by. Because gold, when need to be designed as a jewellery, has to be mixed with a bit of silver and copper. copper is good for the intestine helping us in digestion and mainly good for women. Silver as discussed has the tendencly to absorb the heat generated in the body. And Gold has the tendency to keep us fresh, purifies blood. and ease out tension. These apart, we have a tradition of adding even pavazham and silver and gold coins or conch and chakra along with mangalyam which will have a mixed positive effect on the woman wearing it. This is also to safeguard your heart from any serious ailments. There are so many other scientific reasons for wearing these. In those days, people seldom question their elders but follow blindly what they say. but now, time has changed and young girls need explanation for everythign and only if they get satisfied with the answers will they follow it.
    Hope the young readers and the newly married will get the actual idea of wearing these now. Do follow the tradition and custom with utmost care. Each has a valid reason behind it.
    cheers
    sudhara

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  9. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

Yup !! Am not sure about the reasons though :) . But yeah i too believe everything has significance and are formulated keeping woman's body and man's body into consideration !! JMO when we teach our kids let us teach them real reason behind everything instead of saying they are superstitions. Or else probably due to our modernization and busy lives looooots of useful customs/traditions simply vanish into the air.... :) Just a thought everyone :)

10. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

I live in muscat.Here few places are not safe for going for walk.So what people do here is they wear the karugamani or the black beads,with notmuch gold in that.You know the traditional one which we wear is some 6 powns.which is not save to wear when going out alone.but anyway i wear my regular thali and not the karugamani etc.