1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why no Padmasri for me ?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Manjureddy, Feb 1, 2007.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha - sorry state of affairs. That's how our country works.

These people are given awards as they save the government many a time - by coming out with a controversial item number and distracting peoples' attention from big scams. Duly the government recognizes their efforts with these awards.

In the coming year IL folks shall recommend you for the Padma for Fuming :)

Control the fuming please...

Government could auction these awards in the future and the funds can be utilized for social causes other than their family cause.

2 people like this.
  2. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Like Karma and bad pennies, past posts also turn up to catch one unawares ! Discovering this old thread of mine on the current list in the snippets index was a !!!!!! moment . Though nothing has changed as far as the Padma awards are concerned, I have changed considerably , with increase in age and tolerance level causing proportional decrease in tendency to fume and grrrrrr. Never mind. That ancient outburst still has takers and that lifts the spirit.

I am a bit dismayed to see that the immediate feedbacks have not acknowledged. So,making repairs , better late than never , whether it matters or not to the posters:

To the friendly voices from 2007

Dear vidya24, its juvenile of me to bemoan my exclusion from the Padmas when there are more eligible candidates like you , with your awesome output of 1000 posts , being ignored by the selectors. I am with you in considering these awards a lot of hype, non endorsed as they are by the Constitution and actually banned by the good Mr. Desai . The insider story you have shared is not only stranger but more entertaining than comical fiction , richly deserving to have been made into a rambunctious movie by The Partying (late) Peter Sellers.

Dear Varudhini , yes, its better not to say anything on them. As the unfailing yearly outbursts in the readers letters coloumns of newspapers prove, it serves no purpose at all !

Anbulla satya, varuthathudan paada pattirukkum ungal paadal akshara laksham perum. Panam kodutthu parisu vaangapadugira avalatthai nanru uraithirukkireergal .

To the appreciative voices from 2008

Dear Oviya , thank you for the effusive praise. This is Padma enough for me !

Dear Hasinii, spot on ! We all need to exercise our right to vote intelligently, to bring better people in, who will reward merit and not sycophancy and nepotism.

To Dear Geevee68 from 2009,
    thank you for sharing your views. but, lets not insult donkeys who are at least hard working and serve their masters faithfully. Which is a lot more than can be said of those in the gaddi , who profess to be 'servants of the Public.'

3. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear ojaantrik
    I take back the entire self centered outburst in the opening post . How could i , like a dense upstart, ignore the fact that there was this eminent economist languishing in unforgivable neglect when he deserved the Padma so much more than piddling ,housewifing me ? It is saddening to think that it was perhaps his congenital propensity to call the awards Padda that diverted the rash -shi of recognition away from him. If only some indophile Prof. Higgins had put a few marbles, left over after educating his Eliza , into your childhood mouth to coax more fidelity towards Mother Sanskrit, you would have stood a better chance of attracting a lotus . Unfortunately, you have to suffer , like the materially rich but spiritually poor Don of Deewaar, because aapke paas Maa nahin hai .

My heart bled to read the report of your lamentable miss between the VKRVR cup and the lip, the cruel incident so scarring you for life , that even after 1000 years , it makes you pour your anguish out in compositions suffused with such glorious pathos and bathos .
    To be the only one in the entire department left to keep undecorated company with the hemlock serving Aslam is a misfortune I wouldnt wish on my worst tailor or the mujahideen. To suffer this ignominy only because you had the steely will to be of the wrong age and the misfortune to be in Delhi , that doesnt have the decency to sound even faintly banga ! Alas, alack ! Such a Pity . You are fully justified in drowning in the silting sorrows that reverberate youthfully inside the bashed up shell of your old age, your dogged unwillingness to give up the pretense of living notwithstanding.
    But I am glad you got a chance to vent some hot air at the SN Sen memorial lecture, with the keenly sharpened barbs so admirably clothed in lace trimmed velvet . I do hope at least some felt discomfited that day in the arthaniti Parishad when they had finished swooning over the exquisite language .
    ( Aside: bongs must have amazing mind reading abilities if they can direct a lost stranger correctly to the Orthoniti centre and not to the Orthocare centre when he seeks direction )

You can photoshop my image to fit in any age group you want, but I have long since given up dreams of getting Padma-ed . so i am free to age as I please. The greyer the better , now that I aim for higher goals. Like the semi senile southern singer S.Janaki, i will henceforth settle for nothing less than Bharath Ratna.
    Regards.

4. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji
    Trust you to uncover all mysteries involving dirty money !
    Please do some snooping around and find out the going rates. I will, with contributon from all ILites ofcourse, buy you a PadmaBhushan for Public Service . Your consistently effervascent humour and cheerful posts , always seeing the lighter side of even serious things, always spiced up with rollicking jokes, spread so much joy and lift the spirit.

Dear Mindian ,
    How can I ever thank you enough for such support ! I do hope you have good relationship with the right people in the right places who can pull the right strings.
    Damn ! Just when kind souls like you come offering help magnanimously, i realise i have junked the precious old Attipatti Times issue. Let me try E Bay ; the site will sure ly have items of historical value on special offer )

Dear Google Glass !
    You have opened my eyes to a profound truth. Thank you ! I was being unjust all this while, accusing the government of showing indiscriminate favours and partiality. Only now I understand how sincere the Centre is in recognising the noble work of people who help divert public attention away from major crises and keep the nation happy and entertained !
    But, hush ! please dont even say the 'auction' word aloud . Some smartypants might hear it and get ideas. We dont want another IPL kind of murky business breaking over us, do we ?

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Great lines Manjureddy. Loved them. Especially the bathos part. I hope, in fact I am sure, that you did not miss the humour. Though this piece was born as an fb to your composition, I feel now that it was also a sequel to my own "The Born Loser" piece.

Boonless I surely have been, but its helped me build my own variant of humour. Call it by whatever name that catches your fancy, they make me merry.

Best wishes.

ojaantrik