1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why must we be the greatest cooks!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by vmtaurus, Feb 24, 2010.

1. sridivya

sridivya New IL'ite

After reading some of the posts, I should say I am lucky.
    My dh does not have a sense of taste or sometimes I think he has no taste buds OR HE IS 'THE SWEETEST GUY'!!!.........:confused2:

One time, I made uttapam with all the required things on top like onions, tomatoes, curry leaves, cilantro and some couple of other things and my bad, I forgot salt. I put it in the hotbox and went to gym. I remembered my mistake in the gym and called to tell him that but he said he ate it and it is just FINE....right amount of salt....:thumbsup

Usually he is the one who needs extra salt at dinner or sprinkles so much salt on french fries.

For that matter my inlaws are also sweet. I never even made tea for myself at my parents place nor even boiled milk....not even once by chance also. My mom considered kitchen her kingdom and cooking her secret. She never even showed me how to make rice.

We stayed couple of months with inlaws after marriage. One time my SIL was leaving and my MIL was busy helping her with packing etc since she had a baby then. MIL asked me to make potato curry for roti for SIL's train journey. MIL said she will make roti later. I was so nervous. I knew the two veges involved in that so I put those two (onions, potatoes) in the cooker and boiled. They were mashed like anything. Later added salt and chilli pdr. And packed it off fast before MIL could taste it. MIL never bothered to taste it. Later next day SIL called after she reached her place and asked me for the recipe saying her son, 5yrs old then,loved it!!........:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

I was like what????????????????

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Cooking Food.. Reminds me of Sanjeev Kapoor. I used to think i should marry either sanjeev kapoor because he cooks good or any electrician because i cannot take electricity cuts something silly like that.

i dont think in this generation we really need to be greatest cooks to be a good wife . i cook happily for my family and DH also pitches in if required.

I learned cooking after marriage. Before it was mom, my sis, later roommates. I used to like dishwashing but cooking a big no no. Now after experience i learnt how to cook decent meal. Once i was talking to my MIL, she asked me what i cooked.. and guess what i donot know all vegetable names in telugu though i am telugu girl. i was asking my husband what is that green curry i cooked today called in telugu. MIL was laughing :) she is really so cool. I am so thankful to God.

sridivya, oh my god onion, potato boiled hahaha hillarious.:rotfl

3. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

your post is so cute srividya! I totally love the onions and tomatoes incident..! :rotfl

4. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

:):thumbsup

5. ProReal

ProReal Senior IL'ite

Lol, some of these incidents are really funny.

I had no clue about cooking when I got married and my DH on the other hand is a great cook. So he painstakingly taught me how to cook.. but the worst part is he used to keep complaining in the early days. I used to get so angry and for few days I never cooked ... He realised that he has to shut up so he can have some food at home and finally gave it :thumbsup

But that dint stop my MIL.. she spent half her days telling me how my SIL is a great cook, only joke is that my MIL has never eaten my cooking. When she visits us she only will cook. So eventually I managed to visit my SIL 2 years back and ate what she cooked ... :bonk Uncooked ladies finger, dal with no salt...UNEDIBLE. My DH came home and told me "Maybe because she had to cook for so many people it dint come out right.. Anyways, I am dying to eat some good food, please cook something" :cheers

AH, VICTORY!!

6. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

Because Father-in-law’s expect their Son-in-law’s to make big bucks and it is even better if it is in $.

“will I be branded as a MCP” for saying this? :hide:

7. VLR

VLR Silver IL'ite

This is one question I have been searching an answer for since I got married :biglaugh.
    but now I know I have to be one too because my MIL is one.

She never fails to bring up the point that I look up in internet to learn cooking when she learnt from her MIL and that is the way DILs should do..

Anyways before marriage i never stepped into kitchen and even coffee my mom would bring it to me where I am sitting and watching TV and take the empty cup back once I finish.. So my cooking skill was zero.:rotfl

I did struggle initally after marriage but thankfuly my DH knew basic cooking so we somehow survived. But now I have learnt a lot of recipes (thanks to Chitra mam and couple of other food bloggers) but still my MIL has her doubts.

When I started learning and made some dish, DH used to comment my mom will make this dish so tasty.. and I would be :rant
    So I learnt cooking with a vengence and now he says even my mom cannot cook like this :crazy

8. Tara09

Tara09 New IL'ite

Good one!! :rotfl

One time I tried Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe and it turned out perfect!!:thumbsup
    Dinner time, Dh said 'Oh! This tastes exactly like how my mom used to make. Did you call up mom and ask her how to make??

There was food in my mouth so I just said "Sanjeev Kapoor".
    He was like "What?????????"

I said NO, I actually looked up Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe on this. He said Look, if my mom was given opportunity then what a great chef she would have become, this Sanjeev Kapoor guy, would have been nowhere now....:bonk:bonk:bonk

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  9. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

Did you ask him if his mom holds a patent for that recipe?

10. Tara09

Tara09 New IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl

Hmm......Good question but sadly it is futile to argue with my dh as with most Indian husbands when it comes to their mom.
    Many Indian husbands thinks that way no matter what, MOM's food is great!!!
    Wish every Indian wife could think no matter what my dad's decisions are 'The BEST'!! :thumbsup