1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Employees Leave Organisations

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Jun 1, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

WHY EMPLOYEES LEAVE ORGANISATIONS ?

- Azim Premji,
    CEO- Wipro

Every company faces the problem of people leaving the company for better pay or profile.

Early this year, Mark, a senior software designer, got an offer from a prestigious international firm to work in its India operations developing specialized software. He was thrilled by the offer.

He had heard a lot about the CEO. The salary was great. The company had all the right systems in place employee-friendly human resources (HR) policies, a spanking new office,and the very best technology,even a canteen that served superb food.

Twice Mark was sent abroad for training. "My learning curve is the sharpest it's ever been," he said soon after he joined.

Last week, less than eight months after he joined, Mark walked out of the job.

Why did this talented employee leave ?

Arun quit for the same reason that drives many good people away.

The answer lies in one of the largest studies undertaken by the Gallup Organization. The study surveyed over a million employees and 80,000 managers and was published in a book called "First Break All The Rules". It came up with this surprising finding:

If you're losing good people, look to their
    manager ....manager is the reason people stay and thrive in an organization. And he 's the reason why people leave. When people leave they take knowledge,experience and contacts with them, straight to the competition.

"
    People leave managers not companies ," write the authors Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman.

Mostly manager drives people away?

HR experts say that of all the abuses, employees find humiliation the most intolerable. The first time, an employee may not leave,but a thought has been planted. The second time, that thought gets strengthened. The third time, he looks for another job.

When people cannot retort openly in anger, they do so by passive aggression. By digging their heels in and slowing down. By doing only what they are told to do and no more. By omitting to give the boss crucial information. Dev says: "If you work for a jerk, you basically want to get him into trouble. You don 't have your heart and soul in the job."

Different managers can stress out employees in different ways - by being too controlling, too suspicious,too pushy, too critical, but they forget that workers are not fixed assets, they are free agents. When this goes on too long, an employee will quit - often over a trivial issue.

Talented men leave. Dead wood doesn't.

BROUGHT TO U BY SUNKAN

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Yes i agree...if the raltion between manager and peers are in harmony then people don't leave easily...but if the team spirit is not there then employees feel lost and frustrated.

Being in HR, we really have to come down hard on managers who think of people under them as dogs and treat them so.

For us during induction itself we preach give respect to get respect...then be it the CEO or the support staff.

3. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear sundari,
    Employees leave due to so many reasons.Sometimes when they get a beter position.Mind you,most of the people who leave the organisation dont do it for monetary ressons,mostly position matters even if salary is a liottle less.
    Sometimes due to personal reasons.I know of a case where a senior person left the company,he was holding a very good position,because his colleague was promoted and he would have to report to his colleague from then on.
    The companies had a scheme called Super annuation where by after completeing so many years of service,they got a fat anmount of money.This prevented them from leaving the company.
    I sincerely believe that managers are not responsible for people to leave the compny.it is mostly the promotional opportunities.
    Anyhow,instituitiions dont depend on individuals.Institutions continue,the individual should think many times before leaving the company.There are many who leave the company in a hurry due tpo various reasons and regret later.
    A nice,refreshingly different topic.
    All the best.
    mithila kannan

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

mithila,
    this is something i write about with personal experience as all my children are in MNC and day to day what they face even after staying back finishing the project and reporting the manager takes all credit, nowadays all are given a think pad for their use, what is this personal use, pl go home and finish the rest of the work nu artham, what to do, and my giri left IBM because of this only otherwise a very good person not because he is my son in law but a capable personality who can handle any escalation left because no growth, some mehtha is more interested to utilise, if he is promoted then who is to do the dirty work of looking into the escalation, even now the company where he is the manager does not want to leave him behind i hear if he leaves the company he wants him along so nice companies should teach their managers to work in coordination and keep the best interest of the company.

every company looses very good staff is due to the managers, there are many i do not disagree here who go in search of better placement, but there are some who love the company a lot, my second daughter was framed for a fraud and she left IBM for nothing because the manager wanted the position for somebody else..
    this article is by premji...wipro magnet

so what i write here has very good authenticity..thanku for your input..sunkan

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  5. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Re:Here we are sundari!

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 637.5pt; HEIGHT: 876.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="524EFB74" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Lakshmi\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
    <v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 637.5pt; HEIGHT: 876.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="524EFB74" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Lakshmi\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 637.5pt; HEIGHT: 876.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="524EFB74" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Lakshmi\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape></v:imagedata></v:shape>

6. sorna

sorna Senior IL'ite

Hello Sunkun,

What u said is 100% correct.My DH is facing the same problem,his manager is stealing the credits for his work and showing too much bossiness.if he is going to leave,its because of his manager not because of his company.

i learnt from one of his collegues that he is doing this for couple of people,then why don't these companies inquire abt these managers ?why always the team member is wrong and he has to leave?

Let us discuss how to tackle these kind of people without leaving company.

7. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

I asked my daughter "Why do you want to leave the present job? You are appreciated ang you are getting enough recognition. She replied "If I continue for few more yeras I will be considered a dead wood.. A person not ambitious, pushy and dynamic. No problem I can come back to the same work place after a period of 3years. It's ok for both- the employer and employee. I will serve the person who serves me the best and in return he will keep me there as long as he gets the best from me. This is present day ethics". kanaka

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  8. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Sorna,

In the software industry, i have seen that the team who gets to interact directly with the client and are doing good work get client appreciation too directly hence this proves that the team is doing good.

Another way is during the exit interview if they mention that they are unhappy with the manager and not the orgn. then that too will sooner or later come to the notice of the management.

They can also discuss it with the HR manager.

But if this manager is bringing in business then i am sure the orgn will not let go of him.

Roopa.

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunkan,

Very well said.

I do not have much expierence in jobs, as i have never worked for anyone but myself.

But i think u have a point.look at it this way now.Let me compare the Jaipur IPL team.
    this was supposed to be the weakest team in the tournament, and now it is the only team to have reached the semi finals.

The praise goes to the Manager/boss/captain called Shane Warne.His leadership qualitites have rallied all the team towards him.the team members now would not ever leave him , even if offered more from others, bcs hehas given them the motivation, credit, and all assistance to voice what they feel, where as in the other teams it is a novice like SRK or Vijay Mallaya who tell the captians what team to choose, and how toplay, when they dont know even 1 % of what is cricket.

So the manager has to be good for the good team to stay inplace, and i agree with u and Premji whom i admire very much, for his simplicity, and humbleness, alongwith Narayan Murty.compare these two wiuth that loudmouth Vijay Malaya and u will know the difference.

Regards.kamal

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Attrition rates cant be blamed just on managers. Nowadays people are ready to go job hopping for a slight raise. Skilled employees are in short supply and the talented ones switch jobs selling themselves to the highest bidder. Evem if the manager is great juicier carrots are always attractive.