1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do Women Keep Quiet on Being Attacked?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Moumita1, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Finest Blog Winner - Second Weekly Pick of July 2011

A lady instructor of the gym I am a member of, has been raped not once but twice recently by two male instructors in the changing room of the gym. Horrible? Yes, more because the newspaper reports suggest that she was raped by the gym manager initially, after he had offered her a sedative in guise of a painkiller, and she had kept quiet about the incident fearing a loss of her job. She was a few days later raped again by another instructor, who had earlier heard from the gym manager that she is ‘easy’. Both the rapist are in jail now, but to top it all, all three, including the victim, have lost their jobs.

Do I know her and the gym instructors? No, but does it matter? Yes, it does. For me, it raises some really painful issues I have been fighting all my life, that of gender equality and women’s safety in India. The gym is in a government run sports complex in the beautiful residential area of Dwarka in Delhi, and the incident happened at 11am, when the gym administration claims around 40 members were using the gym! It’s my guess that all the members present must have reported seeing and hearing nothing on being interrogated by police about the incident.

To say the incident has shocked me, is only to put it mildly. I am stunned beyond disbelief that the place I visited thinking it to be a safe haven, is nothing of the sort; that women are nothing but mere bodies to men who can happily ogle them all the time, and rape is nothing but a matter of opportunity. I have regularly seen the gym manager on my visits to the gym, who seemed to me the most nondescript of a fellow, and to find him commit such a heinous act is something I am still grappling to come in terms with.
    The single-most question that has plagued me since the incident, more than all mine and my family’s concerns about the safety factor, is why on earth the girl, a 24-year old, kept quiet in the first place. Why did she believe that a rape is her problem and she must hide with her shame? Or is it because she believed her income is more important to her family than her assault and her well being? Why women must be forced to think that such things are her fault alone? Why safety of women are still not big enough of issues to raise a hue and cry on it, or allocate a government budget on it, when another newspaper report suggests that ‘A woman is raped every 18 hrs in Delhi’?

A rape is a serious crime, and assault to a person and must be reported, irrespective of the fact that it may mean a few days of so-called ‘notoriety’ (as the society will happily point out). A crime must be reported to allow the authorities to catch the culprits and take action. By shutting inside a veil of silence, we are allowing the crooks to get away with it, destroy evidences, and boast about their actions, creating a myth that such acts are heroic and can be replicated. Women are not responsible for rapes, for rapes have happened to women wearing burqas, and being kept prisoners inside a familial wall. Please report every single assault on your bodies, and don’t be afraid. It’s our right to protest against people who trespass our boundaries, and no, we didn’t ask for it. Physical assaults can break our bodies, but don’t let that break your spirit.

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Moumita,

Any crime to be addressed and action to be taken immediately.The affected person should come forward and bring the issue.women should not keep quiet. It is her Life which has to be taken care with utmost care and caution and it should not be happened to her again and to other ladies also. Why the lady kept quiet??? If we ourselves is keeping quiet thinking that we will loose job surely these truth will not reach the public. A Bold and well write up.

3. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Unfortunately, women are always blamed for these type of crimes. It is programmed in these male's heads that women are 2nd class human beings. If there is a threat of women to overtake males in income, intelligence, etc, they immediately get threatened.

And in places like India, if a matrimonial alliance finds out the woman is "impure", it is harder to marry her off.

Sad, but true.

4. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi sreemanavaneeth,

I have always found that writing about easy topics have a feel-good factor, and draws more readers. But sometimes we owe it to the soceity to bring to light crimes and atrocities, and encourage people to speak up, even if such stories do not generate much eyeballs. Silence is sometimes not golden at all.

As always, its really motivating to read your comments.

Regards.

5. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Hello Moumita,

Thank you for writing about this topic on your blog. I appreciate it. In fact I myself have been wanting to write on this topic but right now I'm so overwhelmed! I am terribly saddened by the magnitude of women and child abuse that is rampant in India. Blame it on society or blame it on poor jurisprudence, it's there and it needs to be dealt with immediately. We need to find out WHY it is getting so rampant and do something to stop it.

Regards,
    Forgiven

6. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Zipzipzoomzoom,

Sometimes the injustice of these incidents become too strong not to stay indifferent. I would have not felt it so disturbing had it not happened so close to our world. Its now I can feel the danger, and its now we must act. And it should all start from non-aceptance of set rules made by society for women, isn't it?
    Thanks for stopping by.

7. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Moumita,

Victim keeps quiet because she will be told that she asked for it. And public does not want to get involved. Women need to wake up and support and help other women. Then only we can stop these kind of crimes.

Great topic, but a sad one.
    CL

8. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Coffeelover,

How should we react to sad topics? Or about subjects that needs to be heard again and again, even if people have lost being sensitive towards the issue because it happens everyday? Should we let it by as just another event or should we react? I react by writing. For me, this is my way of protest and I believe pen is mightier than sword.

I will always write, but its when readers like comment, I'd like to believe that our voices had just got stronger. :thumbsup

9. jaisreer

jaisreer New IL'ite

I think it is cultural. We have been brainwashed for generation that we attract men by wearing certain type of clothing or being there (where the rape took place) we should not have worked in such a place etc etc. If you take a look at the world every culture dressed women in lots of cloths. whether it is hot country or cold. A generation of women did not even talk about their personal illness. Talking about such subjects were considered shameless. I remember my grandmother reading about menstrual problem of a particulate women and saying shameless lady telling her personal discomfort. With this being the cultural background rape is such violation of person. How can they report it to the world. Most policemen are men. Most of them belong to the culture which blame women for everything. Is it really possible to report. I once asked a women in Delhi why people do not go to police about dowry. Her replay was 'most policemen take dowry them self when they get married. Going to them is useless.'

10. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Moumita1,
    I join with you. It is not culture problem. It is woman problem. We are laughed at if we open our mouth about abuse. Even MIl abuse is ok. I heard my elder saying that happens in everyone's house and tolerate it. Women are raped and attacked even they dressed properly. Our society don't encourage widow marriage. Do you thin any men iwl marry the poor raped woman. That is why we keep quiet. WOMEN has to teach their sons about it. It is nothing wrong marrying a girl who is window/divorcee/ raped. If we educate our children and media and school discuss about it, I am sure things will get better.
    Thanks for bringing this subject.
    CL