Why do we light a lamp ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 16, 2006.

1. DeepaVinod

DeepaVinod New IL'ite

Dear Chitra mami,

Thank u so much for the all informations provided.
    Can u pls clarify this doubt alone?
    Normally we close the Back side door of our home when we light lamp in the evening. Should we close the back door even during the morning time?
    We live in a flat and tell me how it can be done?

Regards,
    Deepa.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

This applies only to houses having front & back entrance. Please do not bother if you live in a flat.

3. charvihema

charvihema Gold IL'ite

chitra mam
    please tell me GOLD lamp is good ?

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

It is quite good, but with regular use it becomes black.

5. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

Dear chitra amma

Please clarify the following doubts i have about lighting the lamp:

* I light the lamp in the mornings without fail but since am working my return from office timings are not fixed. sometimes i return by 8PM sometimes i cannot return till 10/11 pm. So am unable to light the lamp in the evening? Is it ok to light the lamp very late?
    * Which direction should the wick point to when we light the lamp?
    *Do we need to take bath in the evening to light the lamp? Since I have sinus problem taking bath in the evening during winter/Rainy season aggrevates my sinus problem so can I wash my hands/legs/face and then light the lamp?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. subhashinivenka

subhashinivenka New IL'ite

could anyone let me know thw rituals to be floowed for Kamakshi Deepam/Kamchi Villaku

7. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

I would like to add few more points to it...

Those who follow sanathana dharma, Agni plays a very important role in the life. All pooja & rituals has agni in some form. So our day starts with lighting lamp. it is also considered as an auspicious way of starting a day.

Sesame oil and ghee are traditionally used for lighting lamps. They purify the air around and increase the positivity in the environment.

In psychological therapy, a depressed person is made to sit in front of the lamp and look at its jyothi in a dark room (preferably pooja room). It calms down the mind. You can try at your home, by lighting the lamp in your pooja altar, switching off the electrical lights and looking at it.

This effect can be well experienced in Kerala style temples where deity Darshan is available at the light emanated by the oil / ghee lamps in the sanctum sanctorum (garbha gruham).

Washing face, hands and legs is enough to light the lamp. Applying sacred ash (vibhuti / bhasmam) after washing face etc, is considered second level of purity (vibhuti kuliyal). If you can take proper bath (kuliyal means kulirvithal which means act of cooling down the body as our body during sleep generates lot of heat) then start your chores is uthamam (very good).

After lighting lamp we should do namaskaram (Prostrate). (Those who have physical disabilities can do a manaseeka prarthana by just bowing the head instead of namaskaram).

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Im temples big or small shrines - the wick in the lamp placed in front of him on idol of Lords right side and idols are facing east. So the single wick can face the North or the west.
    Lighting the lamp in pooja room or in a corner immediately after one’s wash is a good habit both spiritually and technically. The burning causes more oxygen flow toward the thin steady flame and surrounding is de polluted.
    Bath is good. If one has some reservations or difficulties about it, it can be ignored and what you had suggested is ok.
    I can’t say whether God is happy or not about the timings about lighting the lamp. Let the lamp continue you brighten the surrounding during your wakeful hours.

Incidentally karthigai is the only month during which Lord Narasimhan In Sholigur keeps His eyes opened and give darshan and blessing . My grandmother was insisting that wick lamp lighted just when dusk settles in the evening and backyard door is closed and main entrance door kept wide opened.
    In modern world - With mosquitoes around dusk all doors and windows in all directions kept shut.
    God Bless you with more O2 in your home/surroundings.

P.s. with apolgies to madam sister Ms Chita Amma . The querist requested you to answer but since years have gone by I thought i fill in here!