Why do we do Namaskaram to God and elders ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Namaskaram means complete surrender to the Lord. The mind of the Jiva (individual) generally "stands erect" like the stick. It is because of the hold of ego (Ahambava). If it is released from the hold of ego, it becomes humble. In such humble state, it experiences the highest pleasure (sukha). Lowering the body in performing namaskaram symbolises the release of the hold of ego from the mind.

Our body is just like a stick which is discarded and the energy or power to use it is given by God. So we must accept, that God is the power behind our gross body and not feel proud that it is our own capacity. So the ego must be set aside and the body offered in prostration to God.

Getting rid of the ego is the main objective. It is not easy for us to do it. So atleast when we prostrate before God, we must offer ourselves to Him completely. God helps us by taking responsibility for us.

When a man lowers his body and prostrates before another person whom he considers a saint, he also "pushes" a load off his mind as it were, in the belief that the other person will take care of that. Hence we do namaskarams to saints or Mahatmas. Namaha is sometimes itself interpreted as the meaning of "Na Mama" (not mine") – that is pushing away something as "not mine". A true namaskaram will always be in this attitude only.

The greetings or namaskarams are more elaborate when one shows respect to older siblings, parents, elders, mahatmas and monks. There are different kinds of “namaskarams” or “Pranams” which include “sashtanga” (with eight limbs), “Panchanga” (with 5 limbs) and “Abhivadana”.

The “Sashatanga” is where one lies down flat on the stomach with eight limbs touching the ground. The eight limbs are chest, head, hands, feet, knees, body, mind, and speech. This namaskaram is generally done by men.

Abhivadana” is generally used to introduce oneself to elders, Guru and monks. In this form, one with the head bowed and the hands crossed, touches the feet and then takes the hands back to touch the left ear lobes with left hand and the right ear lobe with right hand. During this greeting, one introduces himself by saying the name, family lineage, tradition, gotram and the branch of veda he belongs and follows with a sashtanga namaskaram.

Traditionally, women do only “panchanga” namaskaram and not the other two.
    A “panchanga” namaskaram is where one, generally, a woman kneels down with palms joined together or touching the feet of the revered one in front. A woman does not do sashtanga namaskaram for the following reason. There is an injunction in the scriptures that the womb and the breasts of women should not touch the ground. They ruled that the part of the body which sustains the growth of the foetus during pregnancy and the part that creates within itself the nourishment for the new born and feeds it, should not be allowed to come in contact with the ground.

In order that this kriya is done with single pointed attention, and one does not look to this side and the other, the namaskaram is always done with face to the ground. The indriyas (sense organs) face towards the outer world when we lie flat. But when we prostrate on the ground with face to the ground, they are also turned away from the outer world.

Great heights are not necessary. Humility is what is warranted. If our minds are in this mode, the Grace of the Almighty (kripa varsha) will flow freely and fill us. It is, just like, water does not remain at altitudes, but flows to level ground and fills it. As a symbol of this mental move, the body is lowered and one prostrates to the ground, head to foot.

Thus the act of namaskaram symbolises the humility and respect and melting of ego. Any action done with the right thought and feeling behind it, in turn, enhances and enriches that experience. Thus, the sashtanga and panchanga namaskarams are a great aid for nurturing and heightening the "tallest" inner quality of utter humility – that is, the "vinaya sampath". The great legacy of namaskara – kriya to which our tradition has bequeathed to us should not be allowed to decline and disappear.

With humility, and for the sake of humility, this kriya must be performed. This is very important. If the inner feeling basic to it is absent, namaskaram is nothing more than a mere exercise for the body.

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4 people like this.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Thank you.

Dear Chitra,

Thank you so much for another well written and explanatory article on Namaskara-kriya. The various terminology you have explained is very enlightening. I would not even know where to look for such explanations. Which one among our scriptures explain this act of paying obeisance, please do let me know. I do not want to sound like a broken record, but, we IL'ites here are surely lucky to get all this knowledge in neat packages from you.
    I knew that men did the Sashtanga namaskarams and it was not recommended to women. But I never really questioned as to why it was so. But lately, I have seen many women also do this form of namaskarams.
    True, this kriya is 'vinaya sampath'. We should not let it disappear nor should it be used in false humility. But..

L, Kamla

3. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

My Pranams to you

Dear Mrs C,
    I thought namaskarams was a sign of respect. I had no idea that in the process we also let go of our ego. Thanks for explaining it so well. I have always wondered why women do it differently from men. You have cleared my doubt. Once again learnt something valuable.
    Love,

4. Chitvish

Kamla, I do need "broken records" to keep me going !

You cannot imagine the thrill I experience when I get feed backs, no sooner than I post my topics ! I too repeat like a broken record, all the efforts I take to gather the relevant information & put in a nutshell, seem to be worth the trouble !
    Some "jargons" have to be explained at some stage or other !
    Pathanjali yoga explains all these.
    After reading this, don't you agree, it is better that ladies avoid doing ashtanga namaskarams ? Let us pay respect to the " endowments" God has given us, as a woman. But men can do panchanga namaskarams - that is allowed.
    Thankyou very much for the most prompt F B, my dear Sujata !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

May God bless you, Anjana !

I am really happy that I am able to help you understand all aspects of our culture in my own small humble way !
    In fact namaskaram is also known as " dhandam samarpithal". Dhandam means stick & it cannot stand on its own. The same attitude holds good - we drop our body on the ground, accepting it belongs to God & not to ourselves ! The ego is got rid off.
    This should be done understanding the concept behind it, to enjoy the act !
    Thankyou for the prompt F B .
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

classic piece!

Hi Mrs CV,

This is a classic piece of information that you have given. I really enjoyed ur descriptions about various namaskarams. The fact that woman's breast and womb should not touch the ground truly makes a lot of sense! I also got enlightened abt "Abhivandana", i always used to wonder why men touch their ears before doing shastanga. Todays lessonn was a true enlightenment. You make us really look forward to your posts!

Thanks a ton!
    Purni

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Interesting..

Dear and wise Chitra!

Did you know that in Telugu language, 'dhandam' is another word for 'namaskaram'? In the colloquial Telugu, 'dhandam' is often used..for eg, " Devuniki dhandam pettu'...meaning...' Do namaskaram to God'.

L, Kamla

8. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

another wonderful piece

Dear Chithra

It was really nice to know the importance of Namaskarams. The fact that Namaskarams will help to get rid of our ego is very intersting. The different kinds of Namaskarams are very well written in a nice language. Even I used to wonder why women do namaskarams different from men. Now with ur clear explanation, I have got answer to my question.

My Panchanga namaskarams to u.

Love and Regards
    Priya

9. Chitvish

Dear Purni !

I am very happy that this post was educative to you.
    If we do namaskaram, understanding the meaning behind it, the value of our action increases !
    Thanks for the F B.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

My Asirvathams, my very dear Priya !

You are very sweet, as only you can be !
    I am very happy that you enjoyed learning the significance of various types of namaskarams.
    Thanks for your F B .
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.