1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Why do the women from India show attitudes towards those Indians born here?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Ndv, Dec 22, 2010.

1. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

navs23... :thumbsdown
    NDV...I should take it easy...Wish you many more friends...:cheers
    msski...:wave

2. achoo

achoo New IL'ite

hi
    If you think they have attitude you should see some of the girls born here including mine...they say their parents have "accents" and tease them. So it works both ways.
    achoo

3. Ndv

Ndv New IL'ite

Achoo,
    I'm very sorry that happens to you. My friends and I grew up to respect and defend our parents. I know that there are alot of people who grew up here that have attitudes too. As I know how to deal with them I was really just asking a question that deals with my particular situation and that of my other friends that grew up here. It really is not a simple question and there are people of all types. I happen to just run into a lot of people like this and since nowadays I meet more NRIs they happen to be the ones who have frustrated me somewhat. I hope someday to run into more like minded people. For now the friends I have are gems and I treasure them greatly.

4. Ndv

Ndv New IL'ite

navs23 - thanks for understanding!

5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Reverie,
    I regret my comment addressed to you and apologize for the same. Sorry!
    I continue to agree with Ndv, but could have voiced my opinion in a better way. Please forgive!
    ~ Navs.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  6. Ndv

Ndv New IL'ite

Reverie,
    No problem - thanks for the wishes :)

7. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

There is a lot of truth to this. This difference is also seen between men who come on their own and men who come via their brothers/sisters etc. There is huge difference between myself and my younger brother (whom I helped come to this country).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  8. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi

i have a few suggetions. you said that u like to dress well, and from ur post it seems you are well off. I think you must be intimidating to some of the people.

What u did to remove that??? Did u went one step ahead, and tried to make them comfortable, or u just seen their first impression and made judgement. Most of the time, people are little cautious, or less confident to start the friendship or conversation.

If even after they are showing attitudes, then they are not worth being friend.

9. Ndv

Ndv New IL'ite

Basically I would sit with them, show an interest in their jobs/families/anything to do with them first to show my interest. These are people I saw often so it's not like they did it once and I gave up. The interest was not reciprocated.
    It's okay though I have learned through reading this that there's really not much I can do. Just be myself and keep trying if I feel like it. Thanks.

10. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I was in the same state like u r.Women and Men have different brain structure and they see things differently.It is the general psyche.Women form a group with the people of their like minded ones where as men easily exchange views of anyone new they met a whole day.
    If u observe or take our own example -when we travel alone or with our family we either converse the family member accompanied along if a women travel alone she is found speaking hardly with the co-passengers or if they (we) do its only after the other person begins the conversation..Its like we r made like that.Women takes time to show intimacy towards new ones.
    I somehow find strange when we take efforts to change our accent to american english,to fit the crowd.Dressing up with costly dresses and cosmetics doesn't make a person stand apart if it makes one distinct they look like a Monique in a showroom.Its the stuff u r within that reflects on the surface.which i see u are very well aware.
    Be urself keep the company of all the ladies talk to them,enjoy the games,music or dance in the party,if u find u r being left out after sometime its no wrong talking to men whom u find r decent enough,if its ok with ur hubby, as i hear that many husband feel insecure.
    bye!
    sudha