Why do people in India look down upon housewives?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Prachi20, Jan 12, 2013.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@anika987
    I just edited my above FB and saw your like . Trust you had seen the edited one.

Thanks.

anika987 likes this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

yeah I did.the thread was restarted and hence replied:)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

So sad. Did you and wife not talk this out before making a decision?

5. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

This is not about working/non-working, it's about mutual respect. The fact is that everywhere in the world it is the same story. Earlier, about 40 years back, I would say even 30 years back, it wasn't easy for men, forget about women, to find a "job". There was no concept of diversity in any industry back then, especially in case of women. Then dowry was a huge problem. Now it's not about working/non-working, but about bringing enough as much as each other or in some cases, much much more. This kind of hypocrisy exists for both genders. In any case, anyone should have financial knowledge and stability(except minors), otherwise life will be hell for them. The specific case you mentioned is a case of bad apples and not normal. Please don't let such incidents sway your perspective about life. Being educated in financial matters and ability to make money (not through illegitimate and unethical means) is something that should be done for every person.

6. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

"the thread posted in 2013 and the........ "
    The said situation was in later part of 19th century ...that is looking down upon an employed woman, I know because one of the conditions by my husbands parents for marriage was that I should never go for work...since they already had one in the family and she was headstrong and they were unable to 'break' her ..!@#@!

Later the table turned and parents were looking for a working girl, since it might help their dear son...and indirectly themselves.....and even then they respected her money and not her....!

Now I dont know about parents because they dont have any say on lot of issues like choice of a girl...but generally the society ....does it respect a woman? No...whatever she does....all focus on the things she doesn't....!

It is a male dominated world....( am not talking about a few handful of men who are considerate, kind and are real men, but in general...). so a woman will always considered to be a step lower . What I really mean is that Mr.Thyagarajan, it is going to be like this for ever though the main 'reason' for the issue... looking down.. might change...in future too and no wonder, this thread will never die.

sarvantaryamini, radv and sandhya2020 like this.