Why Cant People understand??

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by rekhaatu, Mar 29, 2013.

1. rekhaatu

rekhaatu Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for you time and responses. I can see many can relate to my situation. I will definitely follow your steps as needed.

2. swapnaindiase

swapnaindiase New IL'ite

i have faced same problem like u. but learned to behave smarter after few initial losses.

3. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Rekha - I hear you. When friends ask me for my resume I do say that it is very old but most of my friends are in IT and I am not. I just send them links to a few templates and the link to a template that I used for my resume.

About salary - I am more direct and just say that I am uncomfortable discussing or disclosing my salary. Like Srama said that being offended is their prerogative!

About Kids - Been there, when I decided to go back to school a lot of folks told me "oh it is time for your children to go to school and you are going to school now!" Initially I would get angry but now I just smile and say "Well, what can I say Old School is my fav movie!"

1 person likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

All are very good responses!
    Yes follow every one depending on the situation and the familiarity with the person asking you these questions.

Other irritating questions I face are 1. my caste, 2. my age.
    Since I was 30 my response to questions on my age is "am 30 for the past several years".

For caste: I respond "human"

My husband used to suggest this response: "Even my husband doesn't know what is in my resume/ my salary/ when we are going to have a child/ my caste/ my age/ " (substitute any of them as required).

His response would be the same when they ask about me, " even I who paid for her education don't know what she is studying, working, earning...as long as she is happy and keeps herself busy it doesn't matter to me".

When my sons were growing up there would be comparison talks, " oh he/she/their son/daughter is attending gifted and talented programs. What about your son(s)?

Our standard response was, "our son is NOT gifted or talented; he is a child".

You can say all this in a jovial tone too but with a strong conviction...the clear message should be that they dare not cross that limit.

Also make sure you never question them as a counter-attack...that would mean we are going down to their level. Stay above all these.

There is no end to what folks will come-up with. So it best to have some non-committal responses ready and well rehearsed. :)

Best wishes

2 people like this.
  5. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

I love this strategy - I am trying to gradually develop this art. But like you say the key is that, it is funny without being offensive so that you do not stoop to their level.