1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Who Buys The Very Expensive Indian Mangoes In America?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, May 28, 2024.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kid said they will come home this long weekend, so I went out a few days ago to buy mangoes. The lady at each Indian store calmly told me the prices:

Banganpalli mangoes (10-12 in box) $99
    Alphonso mangoes (9 -12) $60
    Kesar mangoes (2.7 kg) $48
    Dasheri mangoes (2.7 kg) $58

I quietly took the regular $15 for 12 mangoes box (some Mexican or Florida variety I think). And went back for two more boxes. So, I got 36 mangoes for 45 dollars. :grinning:

I know my friends buy the expensive ones, and the Indian store frequently runs out of stock, so there is demand for the varieties listed above. I cannot justify buying that price for a mango. Nostalgia is not that strong, neither is the craving. I am not a kanjoos, we do regularly end up with a $175 bill for four of us dining out. With tip, it goes even higher.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

For the first time in over a decade, I spent $50 on pre ordering a box of Alphonso mangoes. I did this primarily to give my kids the tasting experience of this mango which I have relished in my childhood. Unfortunately I don't have any reason to visit India any time, so I decided to splurge.

Having said that, I was so disappointed because the Alphonso themselves were half the size of what I used to get in Maharashtra. And second, they were not even from anywhere in Maharashtra as we were given the impression of. They were from Bengaluru.

Deeply saddened and scarred by this experience

Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Aiyo!! :disappointed:

I was once having mangos at a friend's place (a city with just 3-4 Indian grocery stores). I asked from where, and she said they were Alphonso mail ordered. I almost fell off the barstool at the price, and excused myself from further eating. Felt guilty to eat them when I was not fully appreciating it.

gamma50g likes this.
  4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

While I cannot bring myself to buy these mangoes , I have no problem buying jasmine boxes . I’m glad we have access to these luxury items now .

Rihana likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

As usual every season my daughter ordered online and two boxes of Alphanso arrived and waiting for the mangoes to ripe. It may take another 2 -3 days before it turns ripe. Each box said to contain 24 nos. Medium size. Besides we have been getting at doorsteps other varieties bargain prices. Due to recent storm and deluge rains many mango orchards in ruins and mango production halved and Indian export affected. So naturally the indian fruit will be more expensive in other parts of the world than previous seasons.
    In india we hv over 50 varities of mango, taste wise they vastly differ depending the soil in which it is grown. An interesting read on mango affair in link!
    The mangoes have arrived!

Rihana likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Lots of people, because these mangoes are always sold out at the Indian store. The uncle was laughing when I came to inquire just out of curiosity and said orders must be placed way in advance. I’ve never been tempted because they’re not fresh like the ones you can buy straight from the fruit carts in India, or better still the mangoes brought to your door in a basket.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

What's a jasmine box? Fresh flowers from India?

I am truly beginning to feel like an ignoramus when I go to the Indian store. They have plant saplings for sale. I can recognize curry leaf and tulasi, but there are many others and some more expensive than my that day's grocery bill. But it's a good problem to have, nice that things are easily available to those who buy them.

8. Thyagarajan

Mango the moment I see or hear I think of tenaliraman priests/pundits golden mango story.

9. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Yes we get fresh jasmine and mullai flowers from India .

Rihana likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

In india to make fast bucks, at retail end raw mangoes bought cheap in wholesale make it ripe-colur fast and sell it at 300 to 400 premium. It would be very attractive but inside it could be all raw & sour. To increase shelf life of genuine varities, makes are subjected to some radiation technique claiming to be harmless. In the wholesale fruit market in Chennai, few traders found to put huge heaps of raw green banganapalli side by side with cadmium stones-a known dangerous radiation producing chemical - every season and get arrested.
    Tiny mole like dots on the mango skin in patches reveals it is coloured with help of cadmium stone placed over it.
    Such mangoes are sold at bus terminus or bus stations for inter-state or at railway platforms. You know why they sell at these places?
    Beware & aware!