1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

White Sugar: How is it Manufactured?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by safa, Nov 6, 2006.

1. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    I was told by some one that white sugar is non veg. During the process of refining white sugar , some born char is added to get pure white color. These born char is made from the born of slaughtered animals.
    Are cane sugar and white sugar same? what about beet sugar and silver sugar(kalkkandam)?
    I would like to replace the sugar with some other. Do you have any idea about all the above. Please share with me.

2. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Dear shahana

I am also heard about it.But in naturopathy white sugar is poison.It will suck the vitamins and calcium from our body.but I have no idea about kalkandam and beetroot sugar.Best is jaggary and panaivellam[karuppatti charkkarai].They are rich in vitamins and minarals.
    I saw a news in a daily some times back some nonveg item is included in tea to enrich the tea flavour.
    I saw in an advertisement when I was in USA that the choclates from aborad is also contained some thing made of waste from fish and bones.
    I heard that Indian choclates is best.
    tsseethalakshmi

3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Seethalakshmi Amma,
    Thanks for the reply.Iam little worried to use the sugar after hearing this. Believe , many of the ready made food items are prepared like this. Hope , some times we might return to our old traditional nature loving methods..

4. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

sugar

hello,
    They say white sugar is no more non veg.. they make i t by some centrifugal action and separate at different levels adding some chemicals..

white sugar is a vitamin thief and the whiter the bread the sooner you are dead!!(proverb quite old) this also holds good for white rice (hand pound rice is ok) maida and other refined products.
    so use jaggery or palm candy .my sister's daughter (sunkan's daughter priya makes wonderful cakes with palm candy and her second daughter makes mango icecream with palm candy ... haha!)

my husband vijayagopalan who comes from a family of nature curists, has this to say,
    in the science of nutrition it is very clearly said that every nutrient whether vitamins or mineral salts never act/react alone; for eg.. calcium with phos.. magnes,, sodium,, etc sodium maintains fluid balance in the cells and phos outside.
    consumption of refined starches including refined sugar will inhibit absorption of calcium in the body.. calcium helps in the muscular expansion and constriction in our body .. our heart that is made up of muscles may be affected in the long run with the intake of refined starches and sugar..
    calcium , other minerals and vitamins are lost with consumption of white sugar regularly
    cane jaggery is unrefined.. palm jaggery ,candy etc are still better than cane sugar beet sugar is also refined.

so dont go sugary go jaggery!!
    sathya

5. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Shahana,
    you are right. Animal bone is used in refining the sugar. But it is very very negligible amount only.
    Another shocking news for you- about the silver wrak which is spread on sweets. Tiny silver pieces are kept between buffallo's body part (I am not sure which) and then it is beated with hammer, this way the small piece is rolled out into large ones and this is used to spread on the sweets to make them look attractive. It is used freely. The govt should do something for this.
    Also, usually egg is brushed on top of bread, buns etc. But in the packet it is not mentioned. Many people who are pure veggies eat these without knowing. But sometimes, we cannot do anything about such things these days.
    Too much information is dangerous, is it not?

7. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

Turbinado Sugar

I have heard about this as well but didnot pay too much attention.

Thanks to all of you for all the info.

Has anyone have information on Turbinado sugar?

Thanks

8. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Sathya, Heena and Varloo,
    Thanks for the messages.Like Varloo said , too much information is dangerous..
    Radha, could find some information about Turbinado sugar in the link given by Heena.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  9. Mitra

Mitra Senior IL'ite

HI all

hI all.:wave

I just want to know is there any alternative for white sugar in preparing tea.Iam a regular drinker of tea and cannot go without tea.

Thanks
    Mitra:-D

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

For Mitra

Dear Mitra,

Subsitute white sugar with the following:

1. Palm candy ( that is sugar before the refining process)
    2. Artificial sweetners like Equal, Sugar free etc....

Vandhana