1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Whistling- Do u?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SupriyaDinesh, Dec 14, 2007.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi ILites,
    Lets discuss something light.Lets forget our age and role for a while.How many of you have whistled .. while watching movie.. alone at home or to u r BoyFriend/DH/one time crush..? Im a poor whistler.. i can never get it right...if i whistle it sounds like a sound coming from milk cooker... I admire people(esply ladies) who whistle..share about you whistling experience...

Believe me I used to have a toy whistle in my hand while i watch my fav actors movies...:queen .If u havent whistled..atleast which occasions you u feel like doing it..?

Dont be shy and modest ladies..come on...share it.

Bye,
    Supriya

2. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

Hi Supriya,

Nice topic you've chosen here! Well, I would like to say that I'm quite a good whistler - I've been whistling from childhood and can whistle whole songs!
    I also can whistle without pursing my lips - therefore, it looks like I'm just smiling!
    I used to impress my cousins with my whistling, and no one used to chide me for being immodest :whistle

An incident that comes to mind is when I was in school, we used to return home in a van. The song 'Jadoo teri nazar' was playing on the stereo, and I
    decided to give a background whistle tune to the song. People looked around wondering who was doing it, but they couldn't zero in on the person!

Of course, I still can't do the wolf-whistle - the one with your fingers in your mouth! And I wouldn't dare whistle in public - it would invite unwanted attention.shakehead

It's good to know that you like this 'art' :2thumbsup:

Cheers,
    Sowmya

3. SupriyaDinesh

wow..enjoyed your reply..U sound a interesting character in whistling..Thanks for sharing

4. santasekar

santasekar Senior IL'ite

Hi Supriya

Good discussion..............

I'm very very poor in ur subject . I can only remember my dear sister now . she used to whistle very well n even now she teases me for the same .At times to irritate me she will call me by whisteling my name .........

My son loves the whistle sound n i feel that i should have been good at that ........

Regards
    santasekar

5. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hello Supriya...

Nice discussion...:whistle:whistle:whistle....

Just after reading it, I tried to whistle...but bad luck...no sound...verum kaathu thaan varuthu:bang ..

I had a friend in college who was good in it...she could whistle along whenever a song was played....I used to envy her. I could never get it right even once.

In 1998-99 cricket series between Australia and India, I had been to Chepauk stadium to watch the test match. Whenever Sachin hit Shane Warne to the boundary or for a six, the crowd went berserk and all the guys used to whistle loudly. Specially the whistle with two fingers in their mouth(I enjoy this whistle more :crazy....it gives out louder sound ). The sound was so deafening with so many of them doing it. Its was real fun yaar.
    That time I had cursed my myself for not bringing a toy whistle alongwith me.

thanx for bringing this thread...

bye

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  6. SupriyaDinesh

Hi Santa and Saraswathi,
    Interesting whistle stories.. thanks for sharing..

7. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I have found whistling interesting.I have tried it several times but all I could hear was a low low humming noise which I myself could hardly hear.I have always envied people who could whistle songs.It is amazing.I watched a cricket match years back wherein Gavaskar hit a double century,my the stadium was deafened by all sorts of noises and it was simply exciting........

8. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Hi SD,

one of the Mom's in my son's soccer team can do the wolf whistle very well. And all of us cheer her on....

Personally I can manage a soft one but not for cheering purposes.

Bunch of us ladies are regular goers of indian movies at theatre here and one or the other always brings in a toy whistle. What we didn't dare to do as teenagers\young adults, were are doing as mature adults:queen.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi supriya,

Whistling, i can whistle some tunes mildly..but have lost touch....

your thread..took me back to school days...we had a classmate x...who could whistle in around 6/8 ways, two finger, foling one finger, pursing lips, then folding tongue..everything...once it so happened we girls wanted to play cricket...and we wanted to bat...so we had a bargain with the boys...that x will teach them all whistling if they allowed us to bat...so the batting continued for a week...we really had a gala time....those days....:queen

my DS cannot whistle...but he will put his finger on his lips, and imitate a shrill whistle...irritating veda...