1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Which type of Mattress good in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by mallikaonline, Apr 17, 2012.

1. mallikaonline

mallikaonline New IL'ite

Hi,

I recently moved from india.I looked for mattresses in USA. there are variety of them Foam/Latex/coir etc. Most mattress here are not foam.

I would like to go for firm mattress like the one in india.

Please help me with the right specs.

Thanks,
    Mallika

2. sangea

sangea Silver IL'ite

I tried 3-4 mattress when I was first came here.. ended up in neck pain, back ache... nothing was gud..
    Dont put so much money on buy mattresses
    Buy "memory foam" mattress from walmart.
    Spa Sensations 12" Theratouch Memory Foam Mattress - Walmart.com
    buy 6 inch or 12 inch according to u choice.
    This is my personal choice, you wont regret.
    dont go for higher end one.
    Even if you are buying from sleepys or somewhere buy with mattress protector, so that u can return them back.

3. pdarshini

pdarshini Silver IL'ite

we bought sultan mattress($325) from ikea....initially we had back pain but later got accustomed to it....here were dont get firm mattress as in india...we are totally fine with our mattress now...

4. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

sealy posturepedic is good. am using it for few yrs.

5. mallikaonline

mallikaonline New IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestions

6. Seren

Seren New IL'ite

we bought mattress in Ikea..similar to the one posted by Darshini..I had memory foam..it didnt worked for me...we also bought Restonic breeze sleeper initially..though it was good...we had back pain issues. In my experience I feel not to spend a fortune on mattress rather go with Ikea brands..they definitely have quality

7. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

If you are going to be in the US for a while (atleast 2-3 years) it makes sense to spend a little more on the mattress because you are going to sleep on it every day (night) of your life. Try not to shop at Walmart. Instead go to stores like Mattress Firm where they have a wide variety of mattresses at good rates and ask them to show you FIRM mattresses. Every brand has soft, firm, medium varieties of mattress. Lie down on each of them and evaluate how you feel. Don't just sit on the mattress and select. Also most mattresses come with warranties so if they sag, they will replace it.

Also remember to get a mattress cover to protect the mattress from any stains as that will void the warranty. Most stores charge close to $100 for the mattress cover. Instead buy it at Ikea for much lower rate.

8. mallikaonline

mallikaonline New IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestions

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Based on the mattresses I have slept on in India, I think you might try buying a futon on a platform bed. Futons can be cheap or they can be made from the better manufacturers like Simmons. They have various constructions depending on how you like the mattress (just like regular mattresses) so do your homework and see what you like.

10. darshu

darshu New IL'ite

Hi Mallika,
    I don't know to which city you have moved in u.s. I recently moved to San Francisco, and had the same problem of mattress buying. Finally went to a shop called king futon here in San Jose...we get our Indian type firm mattress here which is not expensive also..guess around 200 or 250$. They do have a website so u can check more. We are quite happy with our mattress. Good sleep at last:)