Which Syllabus In India Has No Memorizing

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by EagerForInfo, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

That is too vague to make any conclusions or take lessons.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

So the responses we mostly hear on threads like these are those who live in US and their own fear of going back to India.

Of course @Rihana's response is not like that and needs to be given a good thought.

I would look at feedback directly from people that have moved and lived in india, who can articulate the challenges.

I have friends who have moved and loved being back in India. Not one person regrets then move. ( at times they do complain about the inconveniences but quickly move on to other things )

I feel, the kids who struggle, will come out stronger, from what I have seen.

That of course is just my opinion.

3. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the link. It will be helpful to the OP to have this feedback.

4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Yes, every one and every situation is different. My comment is based on OPs earlier posts. What work for one wont work for others, so if you are looking for same answer to every one, you may be disappointed.

I have friends who moved back to India, but couldnt adjust and moved again back to US. Families with smaller kids adjusted very well, but with teens, not easy.

If OP, DD and her family are ready to experiment, they can. Who is stopping them? I am not sure about the contraints( legal or other) on a family of US citizens living in India for a long time. In India, social system/ kids approach,/ use of devices etc too changed. Its not the India we left behind, difficult to get the same cultural traning we had. So be realistic. We have to think about what's next, will she continue in Indian University /college in India or come back?

I am not an expert on Indian school system which has changed a lot, but still cant get rid of memorizing. Its based on my experience, my nephews and my kids.

Are you in US and know both systems, then feel free to suggest, especially after reading Op's older posts.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Both of us are saying the same thing that every situation is different. More details OP gets, the better for her to decide.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If they have OCI they can live in India without o problems but they also have to figure out what is needed on the US side with respect to taxes and such.
    As for the social aspects in Indian schools it may not be much different from the US depending on where you go.

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A 12 year old is not a plant that you can bring indoors or move to outdoors as needed, or move to a better natural light area to make it grow better. You will have to discuss with your child why you are moving to India. If your reasons are like "you need to grow up in India for sometime", it will alienate you from your child. If you talk like this with the child, even if you don't move to India after all, these conversations will come back to bite you, child will bring them up forever.

The H1 families know for years and the children are mentally prepared for the eventuality of moving to India. The H1 parent has no choice, here you are moving by choice, big difference.

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

There is no syllabus as such where memorization is not needed. Actually in India, the education system can be highly competitive.During my school days there, there were lots of emphasis placed on memorization and exams. I don’t think the situation is very much different even now. I am not saying that is necessarily bad. Well, most of us got our education there and making a living here in USA now. But for a child who is accustomed with flexible US school system, a sudden move can create a lot of stress and anxiety. If you are giving her additional support and care, I am sure everything will work out in the end. But the question is do you really need this?

Are you planning to move to your home state in India? Does your child understand, read and write in your native language? Did you discuss this with your daughter? Is this a joint decision as a family? You don’t have to answer here. But think deeply before a move.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

stayblessed likes this.
  10. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

If you really have to relocate, then international would be better i feel. She may not feel different. Also if you have the time, i would suggest you to visit some schools and review by yourself, the school, kids, parents before taking such a major decision.