1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which Popular DOORDARSHAN serials/programs would you like to see again?

Discussion in 'TV' started by rkgurbani, Sep 14, 2011.

1. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,

I know this thread may look a little out of place in today's world when there are so many other channels besides Doordarshan. We rarely hear anybody speak of Doordarshan these days.
    But of course, none of us will ever forget those days when there were no other channels and Doordarshan was the only thing we had.

The programs and serials that used to be telacast may not be very modern when compared to the programs today. Nowadays, we have got used to seeing lavish sets, costumes, jewellery ets. besides not all the serials have a good storyline.

Here are a few Doordarshan programs that I would definitely watch if they are telecasted again...
    *Surabhi - Program on Indian culture and heritage hosted by Siddharth Kak and Renuka Shahane
    *Buniyaad and HumLog - For excellent family ties and simplicity
    *Discovery of India (Bharat Ek Khoj) - Brilliant series unfolding 5000 years of Indian history
    *Rangoli, Chitrahaar, Chhaayageet - I still watch them!!!
    *Gul, Gulshan, Gulfam - Brotherhood and Unity

Friends, do share some of your favourites even if it is on Doordarshan Regional Language...

6 people like this.

2. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I would defy love to watch Surabhi...the fluency with which they carried the programme...i became a fan of both and used to write so many letters to them.

Then i would like to watch Bhomkesh Bakshi- I hope you remember a detective serial in which the main character was played by Rajit Kapoor.

Will come later with other names...when i remember them.

3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Very nice thread RKG.. :)

I watched everything in Doordharshan as long as the multi color stripe was not there and not after "Over to Delhi" display.

I would love to see

1. Jungle Boy
    2. Tuesday night 1 hour drama
    3. A 13-week serial called 'AvaL' directed by Suhasini. It was one short story every week. All major actor actresses of that period appeared in that. I can't forget how excited we were to see who were all going to be there in that day's show.. I searched everywhere for the episodes but didn't find it... Do anybody else know where can I find this program??

Love to see the replies of others... :)

ilt

2 people like this.
  4. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

RKG,
    nice thread.
    surabhi is the best programme in my opinion.then there was a science program which used to come on saturday which i never missed.then sunday cartoons like Alice in wonderland and Jungle Book.Also this serial Wagle ki Duniya and Dekh Bhai Dekh were my favourites.Vikram aur Bethal on Sunday again was an interesting programme i never missed..then there was this Chandrakanta..Ithihaas was a serial i would catch up immediately after coming from school.
    not to forget the song mile sur mera tumhara

1 person likes this.
  5. rkgurbani

Oh yes....Byomkesh Bakshi...one of the first detective serials. It was a super hit.

Even I remember sending so many letters to Surabhi (those were the post-card days!!!). Thanks for sharing

6. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Nice topic :). I think there are only very few who would not have liked Surabhi. :) We used to wait eagerly for Surabhi to start. Of course, Sunday mornings never started without Rangoli. Apart from that, there were good things on DD-2 like Oshin, Gudiya Ghar et. al for kids (I was a kid then, so loved watching those). And who could forget Mowgli, with that catchy tune and enticing characters? I would also love to see the quality shows like 'India Quiz with Sidarth Basu' and 'The World This Week by Pranoy Roy'. The one good thing about DD is that it does not 'sensationalize' anything to sell.
    On the regional front, in DD Tamil we had good-old-dramas like 'Flight 170', Kathadi Ramamurthy's serial - I think it was 'Panju, Pattu, Peethambaram' and Crazy Mohan's serials with Madhu, Cheenu n Mythili, not to forget S.Ve.Shekar's dramas beginning with the scene of Sugha Brahmmarishi and the background music... I guess in those days, the most anticipated programme of the week in DD Tamil was "Oliyum Oliyum" on Friday evenings.

Nostalgic memories of the good-old-days without too much TV eating into our personal lives. :)

Cheers,
    Kottravai

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    4 people like this.
  7. rkgurbani

Thanks for joining in ILT...

Jungle Boy was such a delight.....I still remember the title song...jungle jungle baat chali hai pataa chala hai....

8. rkgurbani

Sushma, welcome...

Mile Sur Mera Tumhara...a tune that can never be forgotten by any Indian.

I don't remeber much of Wagle Ki Duniya...but yes...Dekh Bhai Dekh was the laughter show of that time. Vikram and Bethal was a program we all watched with mouths wide open!!! Chandrakanta was taken out superbly for those times.

9. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

RKG,
    Wagle ki duniya is the serial of Mr.Wagle his wife Radika and two kids..hope you got an idea of it..

10. rkgurbani

Kottravai...
    Sunday mornings still starts with Rangoli for me. Yesterday we were watching KBC and Siddharth Kak was on the panel for Expert Advice helpline. At that time, I had glimpses of Surabhi in my mind.
    The Siddharth Basu Quiz was exceptional and I must say....a wonderful Quiz master..
    I too enjoyed Gudiya Ka Ghar. Jungle Boy. Alice In Wonderful was so captivating for our young minds those days.
    As for the regional ones, my mom has told us about those programs as she remembers the DDTamil telecast.
    Thanks for sharing...