Which of the following Kolu arrangement do you like the most?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Oct 22, 2007.

Which of the following Kolu arrangement do you like the most?

1. Traditional

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Modern

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Theme Based

21 vote(s)
    33.9%
  4. Others

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello ladies,

The Navrathri celebrations are over. Finished up the Kolu rounds to the friends, relatives place. You must have observed quiet a lot of Kolu arrangements. Some typically traditional with Kalash, Dasavatharam set, Kalyana set, Oorvalam set etc.
    Some of the arrangement might be theme based like elements of nature etc., yet some others might be modern arrangement with Computer Pillayar, Cricket Pillayar, Feng shui items too might be featured in the Kolu.
    Whatever be it, what is your pick of the day.
    Cast your vote and share us your fond memories of Navrathri.
    Am all ears to hear about your views and comments.

2. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

Correct poll started at correct time.

I feel that the Kolu arrangement should be traditional as well as modern.

Traditional with all dasavadaram set, different God dolls, saints, chettiar- chettichi, i know there are some rules what to keep according to rows, first step will be Ganesha with saraswathi, lakhsmi, second step,....Dasavadharam set, then saints, then..... putting kolam and vellaku in front.I do not know exactly when the feature of making a park with sand started along side the golu, i do not know how it originated. It is good that it started bcos children are real happy to do the arrangement, they bcom innovative, try to do their best, compare with other houses park, so in a way it helps all of us bcos of attracting kids attention to Golu( we keep saying to them - dont carry this doll, dont touch this, be carefu, dont go near,....). By starting this park feature- kids enjoy to do it and they are proud of it.

We kept golu in our house for many many years -7 step golu (before marriage) almost in traditional style and also we had park, decorations on the roof, walls, doors etc and as and when we come across anything new and interesting dolls we started buying and it became also modern.

In some countries, we cannot get all kinds of traditional dolls and atleast we get feng shui dolls, laughing buddha, etc. So we can call it modern way of doing, it is just we have beleif in god and in any form is ok.

I cannot suggest theme based as it is not some birthday party or soemthing modern.

Please correct me if iam wrong.

Bala

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Good Poll question. I am choosing others because its difficult to keep traditional as I do not have that many traditional toys. I dont like to go modern as thats not traditional and it takes away from my memories. so others to me is a combination of traditinal and modern and theme. Theme if you have time and money.

4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I would like the combination of traditional as well as modern.Nothing to beat our own theppakullams,temples,goddess,gods,chettiar bommais as well as marapachi bommais.Even the traditional Gowri bommai all dressed up looks fabulous.Then the newer version of parks,zoo ,beach must take place in our kolu to interest our youngsters.Kondapalli toys look lovely.Our newer handicraft toys make the entire kolu more colourful.Combination of both make it very attractive........

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks to all of you from last 2 days I was trying to find out what is Kolu. As this is not done at our place but have seen some of our friends doing it with toys and all we use to call that Navarathri decorations I never knew it was called kolu.

6. eshammu

eshammu New IL'ite

i like traditional one

7. muruda

muruda New IL'ite

We arrange in both traditional and modern style. At the same time, we try to think of a theme to do. Theme, not in the sense they use for birth day party, but with respect to the arrangement of the dolls. After you keep the god and goddess dolls, you can arrange the others in the themes of Raamaayana, Mahaabhaarata, or Krishna's life, etc.. providing you have dolls to depict these scenes. We don't have that many, but with what we have, we try to do something different every year. Just trying to keep the excitement for the children.

Thanks to you all for sharing your ideas and hopefully, we can share pictures too so we can learn from each other.