1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Cloth Do You Use For Aluminum Idli Cooker? Cheesecloth?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by gknew, Feb 9, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I like making idlis only in the aluminum idli maker/ cooker. It's an old traditional method.
    I don't like using stainless steel. The idlis will be very soft and bigger when I make it in aluminum cooker. The only irritating part is to clean the cloth after making idlis.
    My mom usually give me the idli cloths and I forgot to bring this time. My old idli cloth is not so good and I thrown it.
    I am planning to buy that here in US. I see some cheesecloth in Amazon which can be used for making idlis. But I am not sure about the quality and thickness is the cloth.
    Anyone used it before? Please send the link if you bought online.
    Thanks.

2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Buy muslin cloth from joann or amazon. They are good. I usually use cloth from India. This time I bought cotton unbleached muslin cloth from Joann to stitch veggie bag to store all veggies. They are good. They will b also good for idli .

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you!!
    Joann is little far from my place. I will check in Amazon.
    And how is the veggies when you store in the muslin cloth? Does it stay fresh for a week or two? I am currently using a net bag which I got it from India. But veggies go bad and soggy after 2 or 3 days. I have to change to a different material bag.

Sunshine04 likes this.